Обсуждение: psql and COPY BINARY

psql and COPY BINARY

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Examining why psql won't do sensible stuff with COPY BINARY, I realized
that psql still uses PQgetline, which is marked obsolete since 7.4.
Is this intentional or just a "never reviewed because it works"?
Unfortunately, psql/copy.c also states "if you want to use copy in your
app, this is the code to steal". Seems not a good template code any more.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: psql and COPY BINARY

Дата:
Andreas Pflug <pgadmin@pse-consulting.de> writes:
> Examining why psql won't do sensible stuff with COPY BINARY, I realized
> that psql still uses PQgetline, which is marked obsolete since 7.4.
> Is this intentional or just a "never reviewed because it works"?

There wasn't any obvious bang for the buck in rewriting it.
        regards, tom lane

Re: psql and COPY BINARY

От
Andreas Pflug
Tom Lane wrote:
> Andreas Pflug <pgadmin@pse-consulting.de> writes:
>
>>Examining why psql won't do sensible stuff with COPY BINARY, I realized
>>that psql still uses PQgetline, which is marked obsolete since 7.4.
>>Is this intentional or just a "never reviewed because it works"?
>

> There wasn't any obvious bang for the buck in rewriting it.

Well a non-binary copy could take as much as 5 times as much as a binary
copy. I hit this when COPYing 1.5GB of data, getting a 6.6GB file. This
made the 100MBit LAN connection a bottleneck.

I might post a patch to support BINARY in psql some day.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: psql and COPY BINARY

Дата:
Andreas Pflug <pgadmin@pse-consulting.de> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> There wasn't any obvious bang for the buck in rewriting it.

> Well a non-binary copy could take as much as 5 times as much as a binary
> copy. I hit this when COPYing 1.5GB of data, getting a 6.6GB file. This
> made the 100MBit LAN connection a bottleneck.

Or vice versa --- the binary format is *not* necessarily smaller than text.
As an example, an integer column that contains only small values (say 1
or 2 digits) will need 8 bytes as binary and only 2 or 3 as text.

Fixing psql to handle binary copy isn't an unreasonable thing to do,
but I can't get real excited about it either ...
        regards, tom lane

Re: psql and COPY BINARY

От
Andreas Pflug
Tom Lane wrote:
> Andreas Pflug <pgadmin@pse-consulting.de> writes:
>
>>Tom Lane wrote:
>>
>>>There wasn't any obvious bang for the buck in rewriting it.
>

>>Well a non-binary copy could take as much as 5 times as much as a binary
>>copy. I hit this when COPYing 1.5GB of data, getting a 6.6GB file. This
>>made the 100MBit LAN connection a bottleneck.
>

> Or vice versa --- the binary format is *not* necessarily smaller than text.
> As an example, an integer column that contains only small values (say 1
> or 2 digits) will need 8 bytes as binary and only 2 or 3 as text.
>
> Fixing psql to handle binary copy isn't an unreasonable thing to do,
> but I can't get real excited about it either ...

Having a choice can't be too bad.
A COMPRESSED option would be even better, but that's backend stuff (does
TOAST use an algorithm that's platform independent?). Would have reduced
the sample above to about 130MB.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: psql and COPY BINARY

От
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Дата:
I submitted a patch a while back to change that but I withdrew it
because I wasn't 100% confident I'd done it right.

Here is the link to it:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2005-03/msg00242.php

It's probably 99% there - just a bit of checking.

Chris

Andreas Pflug wrote:
> Examining why psql won't do sensible stuff with COPY BINARY, I realized
> that psql still uses PQgetline, which is marked obsolete since 7.4.
> Is this intentional or just a "never reviewed because it works"?
> Unfortunately, psql/copy.c also states "if you want to use copy in your
> app, this is the code to steal". Seems not a good template code any more.
>

> Regards,
> Andreas

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: psql and COPY BINARY

От
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Дата:
>>Examining why psql won't do sensible stuff with COPY BINARY, I realized
>>that psql still uses PQgetline, which is marked obsolete since 7.4.
>>Is this intentional or just a "never reviewed because it works"?
>
> There wasn't any obvious bang for the buck in rewriting it.

The obvious one (and why I submitted a patch - see previous email) was
for people who use the psql source code as sample code, which is what I
was doing at the time for PHP 5.1's PostgreSQL module.

Chris

Re: psql and COPY BINARY

От
Bruce Momjian
Tom Lane wrote:
> Andreas Pflug <pgadmin@pse-consulting.de> writes:
> > Examining why psql won't do sensible stuff with COPY BINARY, I realized
> > that psql still uses PQgetline, which is marked obsolete since 7.4.
> > Is this intentional or just a "never reviewed because it works"?
>
> There wasn't any obvious bang for the buck in rewriting it.

We have a TODO:
       o Update pg_dump and psql to use the new COPY libpq API  (Christopher)

Pennsylvania19073