Обсуждение: Re: [pgadmin-hackers] Client-side password encryption

Re: [pgadmin-hackers] Client-side password encryption

От
"Dave Page"

Changing the API is likely to cause fun on Windows for new apps that
find an old libpq.dll. Perhaps at this point it should become
libpq82.dll?

Regards, Dave.

Re: [pgadmin-hackers] Client-side password encryption

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 08:51:23AM -0000, Dave Page wrote:
> > Something like
> >     char *pg_gen_encrypted_passwd(const char *passwd, const
> > char *user)
> > with malloc'd result (or NULL on failure) seems more future-proof.
>
> Changing the API is likely to cause fun on Windows for new apps that
> find an old libpq.dll. Perhaps at this point it should become
> libpq82.dll?

Hmm? Libpq already has a version number, I beleive it's upto 4.1 right
now. So if any number is used, it should be that. And secondly, there
have already been new functions added to the API without changing the
library name so why should that happen here?

In windows the trend seems to be to upgrade a library if the one on the
system is too old. If programs are really worried about it, they should
lookup the function dynamically rather than statically...

Have a nice day,

Re: [pgadmin-hackers] Client-side password encryption

От
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Дата:
By the way,

I've already implemented this in phpPgAdmin trivially using the md5()
function.  I can't be bothered using a C library function :D

Chris

Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> By the way,
>
> I've already implemented this in phpPgAdmin trivially using the md5()
> function.  I can't be bothered using a C library function :D

IIRC the whole point of this exercise was to avoid passing the password
to the server in the first place.  Unless you are talking about a PHP
md5() password of course ...

Re: [pgadmin-hackers] Client-side password encryption

От
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Дата:
>>I've already implemented this in phpPgAdmin trivially using the md5()
>>function.  I can't be bothered using a C library function :D
>
> IIRC the whole point of this exercise was to avoid passing the password
> to the server in the first place.  Unless you are talking about a PHP
> md5() password of course ...

Yes...

However of course in phpPgAdmin the password has already been sent
cleartext to the webserver from your browser, and the database
connection password parameter is still sent in the clear so...

Chris

Re: [pgadmin-hackers] Client-side password encryption

От
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Дата: