Обсуждение: 8.2 Feature Freeze Rough Estimate

8.2 Feature Freeze Rough Estimate

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
I'm trying to plan out a few postgresql related projects and could use some
intuition on when folks think the feature freeze for 8.2 is going to occur. I
thought it was going to be in Nov 06, but after talking to a couple of
people, I've also heard that Aug 06 and Feb 07 seem to be possibilities.
Obviously this makes quite a bit of difference for long term planning... I
don't need an exact date, but if we could get an inkling on a given month or
2 month timeframe if its going to be this year, or just a "sometime next
year" if its going to be that far out, that would be great.   TIA

--
Robert Treat

Re: 8.2 Feature Freeze Rough Estimate

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Robert Treat wrote:
> I'm trying to plan out a few postgresql related projects and could use some
> intuition on when folks think the feature freeze for 8.2 is going to occur. I
> thought it was going to be in Nov 06, but after talking to a couple of
> people, I've also heard that Aug 06 and Feb 07 seem to be possibilities.
> Obviously this makes quite a bit of difference for long term planning... I
> don't need an exact date, but if we could get an inkling on a given month or
> 2 month timeframe if its going to be this year, or just a "sometime next
> year" if its going to be that far out, that would be great.   TIA

Good question.  I haven't seen any major feature go in yet that begs for
a new release, so I am guessing feature freeze will be sometime in the
June-August 2006 timeframe.  It could be later, but I doubt it would be
earlier.

--  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us SRA OSS, Inc.   http://www.sraoss.com

Re: 8.2 Feature Freeze Rough Estimate

От
"Jonah H. Harris"
Дата:
Bruce,

I haven't had much time to finish up on the WITH recursive/hierarchical query stuff yet, but was wondering when you see it having to be completed if freeze is in August?  Would May 1st be too late?

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

--
Jonah H. Harris, Database Internals Architect
EnterpriseDB Corporation

Re: 8.2 Feature Freeze Rough Estimate

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
Jonah H. Harris wrote:

> Bruce,
>
> I haven't had much time to finish up on the WITH
> recursive/hierarchical query stuff yet, but was wondering when you see
> it having to be completed if freeze is in August?  Would May 1st be
> too late?

Doesn't feature freeze mean that's when you have to have your patches
submitted by? Of course, dropping a patch for a huge feature like this
at the last minute would be bad form, but it sure doesn't have to be in
3 months or so before feature freeze.

BTW, this feature along with maybe MERGE (is anyone working on that?)
would be enough to make a release quite featureful enough, IMNSHO.

cheers

andrew

Re: 8.2 Feature Freeze Rough Estimate

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Jonah H. Harris wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> I haven't had much time to finish up on the WITH recursive/hierarchical
> query stuff yet, but was wondering when you see it having to be completed if
> freeze is in August?  Would May 1st be too late?

Let us know when you start working on it and we will see it gets in.  It
is more communication in knowing what is in process that helps us set
the date.

--  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us SRA OSS, Inc.   http://www.sraoss.com

Re: 8.2 Feature Freeze Rough Estimate

Дата:
Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> I'm trying to plan out a few postgresql related projects and could use some
> intuition on when folks think the feature freeze for 8.2 is going to occur.

After some discussion among core, we've agreed to set August 1 as the
tentative feature freeze date for 8.2.  This is a year from the freeze
for 8.1, and there doesn't seem to be any good reason to let the
development cycle run longer than that.  Of course, we'll change the
date if some good reason emerges, but for now let's plan around Aug 1.
        regards, tom lane

Re: 8.2 Feature Freeze Rough Estimate

От
"Jonah H. Harris"
Дата:
Cool...

I'm looking forward to 8.2... Ever since 8.x, it seems like we're progressing rather quickly on performance enhancements, fixes, and new additions.

Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> I'm trying to plan out a few postgresql related projects and could use some
> intuition on when folks think the feature freeze for 8.2 is going to occur.

After some discussion among core, we've agreed to set August 1 as the
tentative feature freeze date for 8.2.  This is a year from the freeze
for 8.1, and there doesn't seem to be any good reason to let the
development cycle run longer than that.  Of course, we'll change the
date if some good reason emerges, but for now let's plan around Aug 1.

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend