Обсуждение: Re: Nightly builds

Re: Nightly builds

От
"Davidson, Robert"
Дата:
I now have two minor bugs for which patches exist.

I am game to write up some better instructions for installing mingw to compile postgresql on Windows if there are any
noteson which packages need to be installed. I have successfully compiled and installed on Linux.

If there were a place to download patches, this would allow moderately adventurous Windows users to roll their own and
avoidthe overhead of nightly Windows builds.

Best Regards,

Robert Davidson

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim C. Nasby [mailto:jnasby@pervasive.com]
Sent: Friday, March 24, 2006 6:45 AM
To: Andrew Dunstan
Cc: Davidson, Robert; Tom Lane; pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Nightly builds

On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 09:32:27AM -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Jim C. Nasby wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 05:30:28AM -0800, Davidson, Robert wrote:
> >

> >>How amazing is that? I call it a night and come back to find that a bug
> >>has been identified and patched while I sleep.
> >>
> >>When will it appear in the binaries (I see that the release version is
> >>still 8.1.3)? I thought about trying to compile from source, but after
> >>looking at the mingw page was too intimidated by figuring out what to
> >>download to try compiling source.
> >>

> >We generally don't worry about point releases too much unless there's a
> >pretty serious bug, so it'll probably take a while.
> >
> >Unfortunately I don't know of anyone building nightly binaries. This is
> >something we should think about doing, especially for windows...
> >

> What for? The only binaries we should be letting out are for declared
> releases. If the bug is serious enough to warrant cutting a generally
> distributed binary for, it's worth making a release for, IMNSHO. The
> Windows packaging team usually follow up a release with a package very
> quickly indeed.

In this case, my guess is that this bugfix isn't important enough to
push a release. If there was a nightly build, the bug reporter could use
that for development until an official release came out.

The only reason I even suggested this is because setting up a windows
build environment is substantially more complicated than building on
unix. If he was on unix, he could easily just cvs up on the appropriate
branch and build it himself.

Re: Nightly builds

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 06:49:43AM -0800, Davidson, Robert wrote:
> I now have two minor bugs for which patches exist.
>
> I am game to write up some better instructions for installing mingw to compile postgresql on Windows if there are any
noteson which packages need to be installed. I have successfully compiled and installed on Linux.

> If there were a place to download patches, this would allow moderately adventurous Windows users to roll their own
andavoid the overhead of nightly Windows builds.

Much better to just use CVS and grab the tip of the appropriate branch.
AFAIK the popular windows CVS programs should be able to talk to the
anonomous CVS server.

Re: Nightly builds

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
Davidson, Robert wrote:

>I now have two minor bugs for which patches exist.
>
>I am game to write up some better instructions for installing mingw to compile postgresql on Windows if there are any
noteson which packages need to be installed. I have successfully compiled and installed on Linux.

>If there were a place to download patches, this would allow moderately adventurous Windows users to roll their own and
avoidthe overhead of nightly Windows builds.

If the patches have been applied to the stable branch, you should not
need to download them yourself; just check out the relevant branch and
build it. e.g. to check out the 8.1 stable branch, do:
  cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.postgresql.org:/projects/cvsroot co
-P -r REL8_1_STABLE pgsql

And if they haven't been applied, you should wait till they have been,
since only then will you know that they have been properly reviewed.

In short, you shouldn't need to apply patches directly, unless you are
testing to assist the patch author.

cheers

andrew

Re: Nightly builds

Дата:
> Davidson, Robert wrote:
>> If there were a place to download patches, this would allow moderately adventurous Windows users to roll their own
andavoid the overhead of nightly Windows builds.

> ... you shouldn't need to apply patches directly, unless you are
> testing to assist the patch author.

In any case, patches that are done but not yet applied would be
available from the pgsql-patches archives.  Assuming you've got a copy
of "patch" or equivalent, you could cherry-pick unapplied stuff from
there.

This is all old hat to longtime Unix users, but I think it's a vanishing
skill among newer ones because of the prevalence of package-based
distributions.  And of course Windows and Mac users are completely
unaccustomed to the idea of rolling their own builds.  Documentation
wouldn't be a bad idea.
        regards, tom lane