Обсуждение: Gborg and pgfoundry

Gborg and pgfoundry

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
I am asking again:  what is the timetable for merging gborg and
pgfoundry, and if not, can we set a date to shut down to force the move.

--  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us EnterpriseDB    http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Gborg and pgfoundry

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 10:33:53PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I am asking again:  what is the timetable for merging gborg and
> pgfoundry, and if not, can we set a date to shut down to force the
> move.

Bruce,

You know that there is a tall stack of finicky, time-consuming work in
order to make this possible.  Which parts of it are you volunteering
to do?

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666                             Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!

Re: Gborg and pgfoundry

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
David Fetter wrote:
> On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 10:33:53PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I am asking again:  what is the timetable for merging gborg and
> > pgfoundry, and if not, can we set a date to shut down to force the
> > move.
>
> Bruce,
>
> You know that there is a tall stack of finicky, time-consuming work in
> order to make this possible.  Which parts of it are you volunteering
> to do?

I will move my projects manually, and until we set a date, there is no
motivation for anyone to move their own projects.  Someone doing this
migration is not working (for years), so let's just do it dirty.

--  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us EnterpriseDB    http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Gborg and pgfoundry

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> David Fetter wrote:
>> On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 10:33:53PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>> I am asking again:  what is the timetable for merging gborg and
>>> pgfoundry, and if not, can we set a date to shut down to force the
>>> move.
>> Bruce,
>>
>> You know that there is a tall stack of finicky, time-consuming work in
>> order to make this possible.  Which parts of it are you volunteering
>> to do?
>
> I will move my projects manually, and until we set a date, there is no
> motivation for anyone to move their own projects.  Someone doing this
> migration is not working (for years), so let's just do it dirty.

I have to agree with Bruce here. Sometimes you just have to cut off a limb.

Joshua D. Drake

Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240   Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL
solutionssince 1997             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Gborg and pgfoundry

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 10:11:13AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >David Fetter wrote:

> >>Bruce,
> >>
> >>You know that there is a tall stack of finicky, time-consuming
> >>work in order to make this possible.  Which parts of it are you
> >>volunteering to do?
> >
> >I will move my projects manually, and until we set a date, there is
> >no motivation for anyone to move their own projects.  Someone doing
> >this migration is not working (for years), so let's just do it
> >dirty.
>
> I have to agree with Bruce here. Sometimes you just have to cut off
> a limb.

It would be a great service to the community if people could
document--maybe in some kind of wiki or something--just how they did
each piece.  We could also put stuff on the front of gborg, mail every
project lead, etc., etc.  In other words, a concerted effort here
would have non-trivial overhead, but also non-trivial pay-off :)

Let's start with the first thing:  What features map on gborg map to
which features on pgfoundry?

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666                             Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!

Re: Gborg and pgfoundry

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Thu, 25 May 2006, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> David Fetter wrote:
>> On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 10:33:53PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>> I am asking again:  what is the timetable for merging gborg and
>>> pgfoundry, and if not, can we set a date to shut down to force the
>>> move.
>>
>> Bruce,
>>
>> You know that there is a tall stack of finicky, time-consuming work in
>> order to make this possible.  Which parts of it are you volunteering
>> to do?
>
> I will move my projects manually, and until we set a date, there is no
> motivation for anyone to move their own projects.  Someone doing this
> migration is not working (for years), so let's just do it dirty.

gborg won't be shut down until Josh et al are ready with pgfoundry ...
and, right now, the 'et al' is fairly busy with stuff like OSDN and the
Anniversary which are quickly approaching ...

----

Re: Gborg and pgfoundry

От
"Larry Rosenman"
Дата:
David Fetter wrote:
> On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 10:11:13AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian wrote:

>>> I will move my projects manually, and until we set a date, there is
>>> no motivation for anyone to move their own projects.  Someone doing
>>> this migration is not working (for years), so let's just do it
>>> dirty.
>>
>> I have to agree with Bruce here. Sometimes you just have to cut off
>> a limb.
>
> It would be a great service to the community if people could
> document--maybe in some kind of wiki or something--just how they did
> each piece.  We could also put stuff on the front of gborg, mail every
> project lead, etc., etc.  In other words, a concerted effort here
> would have non-trivial overhead, but also non-trivial pay-off :)
>
> Let's start with the first thing:  What features map on gborg map to
> which features on pgfoundry?

I've offered to help with this, but things are so poorly documented that
I have to guess where things are, and I'm not one that's used either
site.

I do have a bunch of sysadmin knowledge, and script writing ability, but
knowledge of how each is set up, is resident in a very small minority of
the
folks that help run things.

I have Pervasive's blessing to spend paid time working on "community"
projects,
and this could be one of them, but every time I try to get more
information about
how things on BOTH gborg and pgfoundry are set up, it takes days, and
lots of the
people have no idea how it is set up.

I truly *WANT* to help here, but getting the information is tough.

Larry Rosenman

--
Larry Rosenman
Database Support Engineer

PERVASIVE SOFTWARE. INC.
12365B RIATA TRACE PKWY
3015
AUSTIN TX  78727-6531

Tel: 512.231.6173
Fax: 512.231.6597
Email: Larry.Rosenman@pervasive.com
Web: www.pervasive.com

Re: Gborg and pgfoundry

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
Larry Rosenman wrote:

> I have Pervasive's blessing to spend paid time working on "community"
> projects,
> and this could be one of them, but every time I try to get more
> information about
> how things on BOTH gborg and pgfoundry are set up, it takes days, and
> lots of the
> people have no idea how it is set up.
>
> I truly *WANT* to help here, but getting the information is tough.

Larry,

I don't have any knowledge of gborg, but I do have pretty good knowledge
of how everything works on pgfoundry. Feel free to ping me on IRC or via
email if you have questions.

I am as impatient as everyone to get this done.

cheers

andrew

Re: Gborg and pgfoundry

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Thu, 25 May 2006, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Larry Rosenman wrote:
>>
>> I have Pervasive's blessing to spend paid time working on "community"
>> projects, and this could be one of them, but every time I try to get more
>> information about
>> how things on BOTH gborg and pgfoundry are set up, it takes days, and
>> lots of the people have no idea how it is set up.
>> I truly *WANT* to help here, but getting the information is tough.
>>

> Larry,
>
> I don't have any knowledge of gborg, but I do have pretty good knowledge of
> how everything works on pgfoundry. Feel free to ping me on IRC or via email
> if you have questions.

The thing is, I thought that the scripting work for this was already done?
Since we're doing CVS->CVS and mailman->mailman, the only major scripting
effort was required on the gborg-sql -> pgfoundry-sql side of things,
which I *thought* was already written, just needed alot of testing?

----

Re: Gborg and pgfoundry

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
> The thing is, I thought that the scripting work for this was already
> done? Since we're doing CVS->CVS and mailman->mailman, the only major
> scripting effort was required on the gborg-sql -> pgfoundry-sql side of
> things, which I *thought* was already written, just needed alot of testing?

I remember reading something abou this as well but the big question is:

Where is the scripting?

Joshua D. Drake

> ----
> Email . scrappy@hub.org                              MSN . scrappy@hub.org
> Yahoo . yscrappy               Skype: hub.org        ICQ . 7615664

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240   Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL
solutionssince 1997             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Gborg and pgfoundry

От
"Larry Rosenman"
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> The thing is, I thought that the scripting work for this was already
>> done? Since we're doing CVS->CVS and mailman->mailman, the only major
>> scripting effort was required on the gborg-sql -> pgfoundry-sql side
>> of things, which I *thought* was already written, just needed alot
>> of testing?
>
> I remember reading something abou this as well but the big question
> is:
>
> Where is the scripting?

it's in an admin project on pgfoundry, and VERY lacking in details.

It assumes a LOT of knowledge that is not readily apparent.

--
Larry Rosenman
Database Support Engineer

PERVASIVE SOFTWARE. INC.
12365B RIATA TRACE PKWY
3015
AUSTIN TX  78727-6531

Tel: 512.231.6173
Fax: 512.231.6597
Email: Larry.Rosenman@pervasive.com
Web: www.pervasive.com

Re: Gborg and pgfoundry

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
Last I heard, JoshB was working on testing it ...

On Thu, 25 May 2006, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> The thing is, I thought that the scripting work for this was already done?
>> Since we're doing CVS->CVS and mailman->mailman, the only major scripting
>> effort was required on the gborg-sql -> pgfoundry-sql side of things, which
>> I *thought* was already written, just needed alot of testing?
>
> I remember reading something abou this as well but the big question is:
>
> Where is the scripting?
>
> Joshua D. Drake
>

>> ----
>> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
>> Email . scrappy@hub.org                              MSN . scrappy@hub.org
>> Yahoo . yscrappy               Skype: hub.org        ICQ . 7615664

>> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster
>>

> --
>
>   === The PostgreSQL Company: Command Prompt, Inc. ===
> Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
>   Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997
>             http://www.commandprompt.com/

----

Re: Gborg and pgfoundry

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Marc,

> The thing is, I thought that the scripting work for this was already
> done? Since we're doing CVS->CVS and mailman->mailman, the only major
> scripting effort was required on the gborg-sql -> pgfoundry-sql side of
> things, which I *thought* was already written, just needed alot of
> testing?

There is, let me send link to Larry.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Gborg and pgfoundry

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Bruce,

> I am asking again:  what is the timetable for merging gborg and
> pgfoundry, and if not, can we set a date to shut down to force the move.

Looking more like mid-June.  I didn't have the time for this at the
beginning of May that I thought I would have.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun