Обсуждение: printing the query plan?

printing the query plan?

От
dakotali kasap
Дата:
Hi,

I want to print the query-plan that will be used before the execution of the query. Therefore put this line at the beginning of the ExecutorStart() function located in execMain.c :

print_plan(queryDesc->plantree,queryDesc->parsetree);

However, it did not work. What I want to ask is:

1. Does postgresql call ExecutorStart()-ExecutorRun-ExecutorEnd functions each time a new query is invoked? If so, why the above line did not work?

2. Can I print just a dummy string inside ExecutorStart() function and will it be shown before the result of the query? Because I also tried this and it also did not work.

Thanks  a lot.

Baran

Re: printing the query plan?

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 01:58:21AM -0700, dakotali kasap wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to print the query-plan that will be used before the execution
> of the query. Therefore put this line at the beginning of the
> ExecutorStart() function located in execMain.c :
>
> print_plan(queryDesc->plantree,queryDesc->parsetree);

print_plan writes to stdout, did you check where that is redirected to?

Also, I thought there was a logging option to print plans, but I might
be wrong about that.

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Re: printing the query plan?

От
dakotali kasap
Дата:
Hi,

> > I want to print the query-plan that will be used before the execution
> > of the query. Therefore put this line at the beginning of the
> > ExecutorStart() function located in execMain.c :
> >
> > print_plan(queryDesc->plantree,queryDesc->parsetree);

> print_plan writes to stdout, did you check where that is redirected to?

    But how can I find where stout is redirected to?

Baran

Re: printing the query plan?

От
"Gurjeet Singh"
Дата:
Try your logfile... the one specified by the '-l' option while starting the server.

--
gurjeet[.singh]@EnterpriseDB.com
singh.gurjeet@{ gmail | hotmail | yahoo }.com