Обсуждение: The question of LOCALE at the time of a regression test.

The question of LOCALE at the time of a regression test.

От
"Hiroshi Saito"
Дата:
Hi Tom-san.

I look at that all regression tests pass by tools/msvc. It is very comfortable.!
Then, the reason, it is because no-locale is an default value.
--   my @args = (       "../../../$Config/pg_regress/pg_regress",       "--psqldir=../../../$Config/psql",
"--schedule=${schedule}_schedule",      "--multibyte=SQL_ASCII",       "--load-language=plpgsql",       "--no-locale"

--
It is why here. -- Is it no-locale?

Regards,
Hiroshi Saito

Re: The question of LOCALE at the time of a regression test.

От
Andrew Dunstan

Hiroshi Saito wrote:
> Hi Tom-san.
>
> I look at that all regression tests pass by tools/msvc. It is very
> comfortable.!
> Then, the reason, it is because no-locale is an default value.

Since we rely on the OS to supply locale settings, getting a reliable
set of regression tests that depended on the locale would be close to
impossible. We really have to run the regression tests under --no-locale.

cheers

andrew

Re: The question of LOCALE at the time of a regression test.

От
"Hiroshi Saito"
Дата:
Hi Andrew-san.

Thanks!

>> I look at that all regression tests pass by tools/msvc. It is very
>> comfortable.!
>> Then, the reason, it is because no-locale is an default value.
>>

> Since we rely on the OS to supply locale settings, getting a reliable
> set of regression tests that depended on the locale would be close to
> impossible. We really have to run the regression tests under --no-locale.

It is very strange...

GNUmakefile is this
--
# locale
NOLOCALE =

It is inconsistent.....
although I was a problem of Japan, I proposed it.

Regards,
Hiroshi Saito

Re: The question of LOCALE at the time of a regression test.

Дата:
> Since we rely on the OS to supply locale settings, getting a reliable
> set of regression tests that depended on the locale would be close to
> impossible. We really have to run the regression tests under --no-locale.

This is quite untrue; we have variant regression files that exist
specifically to support running the tests under various popular locales.
As Hiroshi-san points out, --no-locale isn't even the default in the
Unix makefile.

Perhaps the Windows locales are different enough that what we have
doesn't cover them?
        regards, tom lane

Re: The question of LOCALE at the time of a regression test.

От
"Hiroshi Saito"
Дата:
Hi Tom-san.

From: "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>

>> Since we rely on the OS to supply locale settings, getting a reliable
>> set of regression tests that depended on the locale would be close to
>> impossible. We really have to run the regression tests under --no-locale.
>
> This is quite untrue; we have variant regression files that exist
> specifically to support running the tests under various popular locales.
> As Hiroshi-san points out, --no-locale isn't even the default in the
> Unix makefile.
>
> Perhaps the Windows locales are different enough that what we have
> doesn't cover them?

Um, I was flipped off by you

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2007-10/msg00070.php

Re: The question of LOCALE at the time of a regression test.

От
Jeremy Drake
Дата:
On Sat, 9 Feb 2008, Hiroshi Saito wrote:

> Um, I was flipped off by you

You shouldn't go around flipping people off: it's rude :)
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/flip%20off

Re: The question of LOCALE at the time of a regression test.

От
"Hiroshi Saito"
Дата:
>> Um, I was flipped off by you
>
> You shouldn't go around flipping people off: it's rude :)
> http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/flip%20off

Ah sorry, I was the reason referred to as being an aphasic.
It was not meant expression. :-(

However, I think then that I was not fair.

Tom Lane wrote:

>> Since we rely on the OS to supply locale settings, getting a reliable
>> set of regression tests that depended on the locale would be close to
>> impossible. We really have to run the regression tests under --no-locale.
>>

> This is quite untrue; we have variant regression files that exist
> specifically to support running the tests under various popular locales.
> As Hiroshi-san points out, --no-locale isn't even the default in the
> Unix makefile.
>
> Perhaps the Windows locales are different enough that what we have
> doesn't cover them?

I stand corrected.

I know I had enough trouble even before we started doing Windows builds
that we had to use --no-locale in the buildfarm (or at least that was
the solution I adopted).

For example, I know of cases where FBSD and Linux don't agree even on
collation order for quite common locales.

But by all means let's see what happens on Windows when we take the flag
out. Hiroshi-san, perhaps you would like to test it and see?

cheers

andrew

Re: The question of LOCALE at the time of a regression test.

От
"Hiroshi Saito"
Дата:
Hi.

From: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew@dunslane.net>

> I stand corrected.
>
> I know I had enough trouble even before we started doing Windows builds
> that we had to use --no-locale in the buildfarm (or at least that was
> the solution I adopted).
>
> For example, I know of cases where FBSD and Linux don't agree even on
> collation order for quite common locales.
>
> But by all means let's see what happens on Windows when we take the flag
> out. Hiroshi-san, perhaps you would like to test it and see?

At least, it wishes as a thing of the user of not only me but many.
Thanks!

Re: The question of LOCALE at the time of a regression test.

Дата:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> This is quite untrue; we have variant regression files that exist
>> specifically to support running the tests under various popular locales.

> I know I had enough trouble even before we started doing Windows builds
> that we had to use --no-locale in the buildfarm (or at least that was
> the solution I adopted).

It's certainly possible that some of the buildfarm machines use locales
that haven't been covered --- or at least weren't covered when you
started that project; we fixed things for sv_SE just a couple months
ago, for instance.

I'm not sure whether it'd be sane to promise that we'd make the
regression tests work on any locale at all.  But I agree that it's
worth experimenting to see where they do or don't work now.
        regards, tom lane

Re: The question of LOCALE at the time of a regression test.

От
"Hiroshi Saito"
Дата:
Hi.

I apologizes for impoliteness. sorry.
I cause misapprehension since telling well is difficult for me.

From: "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>

> It's certainly possible that some of the buildfarm machines use locales
> that haven't been covered --- or at least weren't covered when you
> started that project; we fixed things for sv_SE just a couple months
> ago, for instance.
>
> I'm not sure whether it'd be sane to promise that we'd make the
> regression tests work on any locale at all.  But I agree that it's
> worth experimenting to see where they do or don't work now.

I think that clear information is required for the solution in problem.

anyway, thanks.

Regards,
Hiroshi Saito.