Обсуждение: WANTED: VACUUM SUMMARY

WANTED: VACUUM SUMMARY

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Hello,

I would like to write a patch that provides the command:

VACUUM SUMMARY

This was discussed briefly here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2007-10/msg00165.php

I know there are other plans for 8.4 but I was wondering if those plans
appear to be happening or not? I don't want to waste people's time on
the patch but if we aren't going to change the FSM stuff for 8.4, I as
a DBA would find VACUUM SUMMARY useful.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

PostgreSQL SPI Liaison | SPI Director |  PostgreSQL political pundit

Re: WANTED: VACUUM SUMMARY

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> I know there are other plans for 8.4 but I was wondering if those plans
> appear to be happening or not? I don't want to waste people's time on
> the patch but if we aren't going to change the FSM stuff for 8.4, I as
> a DBA would find VACUUM SUMMARY useful.

I think it would be more useful to move pg_freespacemap from contrib to
core.

Re: WANTED: VACUUM SUMMARY

Дата:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> I know there are other plans for 8.4 but I was wondering if those plans
>> appear to be happening or not? I don't want to waste people's time on
>> the patch but if we aren't going to change the FSM stuff for 8.4, I as
>> a DBA would find VACUUM SUMMARY useful.

> I think it would be more useful to move pg_freespacemap from contrib to
> core.

The free space map won't even exist in its current form when 8.4 is
released.  (If Heikki doesn't do it then I will...)  So I see little
value in expending further effort on the present design.
        regards, tom lane