Обсуждение: deprecating =>, take two

deprecating =>, take two

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
By consensus, we have removed the new-to-9.0 operator text[] => text[]
and renamed the hstore => text[] operator.  (The current name is "%",
but there is some discussion of "%>", some yet other name, or getting
rid of it altogether; please comment on that thread if you wish to
weigh in.)  This means that the only remaining => operator in CVS is
the text => text operator which constructs a single-element hstore,
which has been around since 8.2.  In lieu of providing a substitute
operator, Tom Lane proposed that we simply encourage people to use the
hstore(text, text) function which does the same thing:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-06/msg00711.php

Per that email, and subsequent concurrence, here is a series of
patches which does the following:

1. In CVS HEAD, document the hstore(text, text) function and adjust
CREATE OPERATOR to throw a warning when => is used as an operator
name, using the wording previously suggested by Tom.
2. In the back branches, add an hstore(text, text) function.  These
branches already have a tconvert(text, text) function which does the
same thing, but the consensus seemed to be that we do not want to go
back to the name tconvert() for this functionality, and that
back-patching the new name was preferable.
3. In 8.4 and 8.3, also add hstore(text, text) to the documentation.
8.2 appears to have no contrib documentation.

Barring vigorous objections, I will apply these tomorrow so that we
can consider deprecating => as an operator name in 9.1, for better
compliance with the SQL standard.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-05/msg01501.php

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Вложения

Re: deprecating =>, take two

От
"David E. Wheeler"
Дата:
On Jun 21, 2010, at 9:20 AM, Robert Haas wrote:

> Per that email, and subsequent concurrence, here is a series of
> patches which does the following:
>
> 1. In CVS HEAD, document the hstore(text, text) function and adjust
> CREATE OPERATOR to throw a warning when => is used as an operator
> name, using the wording previously suggested by Tom.
> 2. In the back branches, add an hstore(text, text) function.  These
> branches already have a tconvert(text, text) function which does the
> same thing, but the consensus seemed to be that we do not want to go
> back to the name tconvert() for this functionality, and that
> back-patching the new name was preferable.
> 3. In 8.4 and 8.3, also add hstore(text, text) to the documentation.
> 8.2 appears to have no contrib documentation.

+1

I was just about to email asking where this was. Glad I checked for new mail first. :-)

> Barring vigorous objections, I will apply these tomorrow so that we
> can consider deprecating => as an operator name in 9.1, for better
> compliance with the SQL standard.

So will the CREATE OPERATOR code be updated to issue the warning, rather than just for the case of hstore's =>
operator?

Best,

David

Re: deprecating =>, take two

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Excerpts from Robert Haas's message of lun jun 21 12:20:59 -0400 2010:

> Barring vigorous objections, I will apply these tomorrow so that we
> can consider deprecating => as an operator name in 9.1, for better
> compliance with the SQL standard.

Maybe this is just a matter of semantics, but I thought we were going to
deprecate => in 9.0 so that people started to avoid its use altogether.
Why wait till 9.1 to recommend avoidance?

I had imagined that 9.1 was going to ban => altogether.

Re: deprecating =>, take two

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Excerpts from Robert Haas's message of lun jun 21 12:20:59 -0400 2010:
>
>> Barring vigorous objections, I will apply these tomorrow so that we
>> can consider deprecating => as an operator name in 9.1, for better
>> compliance with the SQL standard.
>
> Maybe this is just a matter of semantics, but I thought we were going to
> deprecate => in 9.0 so that people started to avoid its use altogether.
> Why wait till 9.1 to recommend avoidance?
>
> I had imagined that 9.1 was going to ban => altogether.

Sorry, bad phrasing on my part.  Your understanding matches mine.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: deprecating =>, take two

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 12:37 PM, David E. Wheeler <david@kineticode.com> wrote:
>> Barring vigorous objections, I will apply these tomorrow so that we
>> can consider deprecating => as an operator name in 9.1, for better
>> compliance with the SQL standard.
>
> So will the CREATE OPERATOR code be updated to issue the warning, rather than just for the case of hstore's =>
operator?

Yes.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: deprecating =>, take two

Дата:
> Barring vigorous objections, I will apply these tomorrow so that we
> can consider deprecating => as an operator name in 9.1, for better
> compliance with the SQL standard.

Two documentation comments:

1. Perhaps, rather than

> +   The <literal>=></> operator is deprecated and may be removed in a
> +   future release.  The use of the <literal>hstore(text, text)</literal>
> +   function is recommended as an alternative.

write

> +   The <literal>=></> operator is deprecated and will be removed in a
> +   future release.  Use the <literal>hstore(text, text)</literal>
> +   function instead.

in particular, s/may/will/ and avoid passive voice in the second sentence.

2. The 8.4 and 8.3 doc patches should include this same paragraph.
        regards, tom lane

Re: deprecating =>, take two

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 1:24 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Barring vigorous objections, I will apply these tomorrow so that we
>> can consider deprecating => as an operator name in 9.1, for better
>> compliance with the SQL standard.
>
> Two documentation comments:
>
> 1. Perhaps, rather than
>
>> +   The <literal>=></> operator is deprecated and may be removed in a
>> +   future release.  The use of the <literal>hstore(text, text)</literal>
>> +   function is recommended as an alternative.
>
> write
>
>> +   The <literal>=></> operator is deprecated and will be removed in a
>> +   future release.  Use the <literal>hstore(text, text)</literal>
>> +   function instead.
>
> in particular, s/may/will/ and avoid passive voice in the second sentence.

Avoiding the passive voice is a good idea, and I like your suggested
phrasing.  I'm reluctant to say what we "will" do in a future release
because we don't always do what we claim we'll do.  For example, we're
planning to remove contrib/xml2 in 8.4.

http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/xml2.html

Still, I haven't heard too many arguments against disallowing => as an
operator, so perhaps it's safe to bank on it actually happening in
this case?

> 2. The 8.4 and 8.3 doc patches should include this same paragraph.

OK.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: deprecating =>, take two

От
Dimitri Fontaine
Дата:

> By consensus, we have removed the new-to-9.0 operator text[] => text[]
> and renamed the hstore => text[] operator.  (The current name is "%",
> but there is some discussion of "%>", some yet other name, or getting
> rid of it altogether; please comment on that thread if you wish to
> weigh in.)

Hey, you're asking for bikesheding! %> would be my choice too.
--
dim

Re: deprecating =>, take two

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Dimitri Fontaine
<dfontaine@hi-media.com> wrote:

>> By consensus, we have removed the new-to-9.0 operator text[] => text[]
>> and renamed the hstore => text[] operator.  (The current name is "%",
>> but there is some discussion of "%>", some yet other name, or getting
>> rid of it altogether; please comment on that thread if you wish to
>> weigh in.)
>
> Hey, you're asking for bikesheding! %> would be my choice too.

The point was that if you want to bikeshed, please do it on the OTHER
thread, not this one.  :-)

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: deprecating =>, take two

Дата:
> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 1:24 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> in particular, s/may/will/ and avoid passive voice in the second sentence.

> Avoiding the passive voice is a good idea, and I like your suggested
> phrasing.  I'm reluctant to say what we "will" do in a future release
> because we don't always do what we claim we'll do.

True.

> Still, I haven't heard too many arguments against disallowing => as an
> operator, so perhaps it's safe to bank on it actually happening in
> this case?

AFAICS, the only way we won't do it is if the SQL committee reverses
field on the syntax they're using.  I'm not going to promise that it
will change in 9.1 --- we might wait longer --- but once => is official
standard syntax the pressure to do it will be high.
        regards, tom lane

Re: deprecating =>, take two

От
Dimitri Fontaine
Дата:
> The point was that if you want to bikeshed, please do it on the OTHER
> thread, not this one.  :-)

Ouch, asking for bikeshed and understanding what you read around… I
call that a trap ;)
--
dim