Обсуждение: Check constraints on non-immutable keys

Check constraints on non-immutable keys

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
We currently allow this:

postgres=# create table t(a timestamptz not null primary key, check(a > now()));
"t_pkey" for table "t"
CREATE TABLE

Which seems very wrong. For one thing, a dump of this database can not
be restored if now() has advanced enough into the future (which it
will eventually). It also makes impossible to do things like SET a=a
on the table.

Yes, this is clearly a stupidly defined constraint, but why do we allow it?

Shouldn't we disallow anything that's not IMMUTABLE in a check constraint?

Re: Check constraints on non-immutable keys

Дата:
> Shouldn't we disallow anything that's not IMMUTABLE in a check constraint?

I think you'd get too many howls of pain ... also, such a restriction is
likely contrary to SQL spec.

The example seems to me to be in the category of "so don't do that"
rather than something that we need to save users from.  Yes, it's
stupid, but for example the very similar check of "a < now()"
would be perfectly safe and arguably useful.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Check constraints on non-immutable keys

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 16:38, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Shouldn't we disallow anything that's not IMMUTABLE in a check constraint?
>
> I think you'd get too many howls of pain ... also, such a restriction is
> likely contrary to SQL spec.

Really? That sounds strange, but I can't claim to k now the SQL spec..

> The example seems to me to be in the category of "so don't do that"
> rather than something that we need to save users from.  Yes, it's

In that case, should we at least throw a warning?

> stupid, but for example the very similar check of "a < now()"
> would be perfectly safe and arguably useful.

Well, things like timezone settings could come in effect there as well...

Re: Check constraints on non-immutable keys

Дата:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 16:38, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> The example seems to me to be in the category of "so don't do that"
>> rather than something that we need to save users from. �Yes, it's

> In that case, should we at least throw a warning?

I don't see a reason to do that.  If we could distinguish actually
problematic cases from safe cases, it would be helpful, but we can't.

Moreover, throwing a warning would encourage people to do actively
*unsafe* things to suppress the warning --- like marking functions
as immutable when they really aren't.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Check constraints on non-immutable keys

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 16:38, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> The example seems to me to be in the category of "so don't do that"
>>> rather than something that we need to save users from.  Yes, it's
>
>> In that case, should we at least throw a warning?
>
> I don't see a reason to do that.  If we could distinguish actually
> problematic cases from safe cases, it would be helpful, but we can't.
>
> Moreover, throwing a warning would encourage people to do actively
> *unsafe* things to suppress the warning --- like marking functions
> as immutable when they really aren't.

My scintillating contribution to this discussion is the observation
that unrestorable dumps suck.

A lot.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: Check constraints on non-immutable keys

Дата:
> My scintillating contribution to this discussion is the observation
> that unrestorable dumps suck.

No doubt, but is this a real problem in practice?  I can't recall many
field complaints about it.  And the ones I do recall wouldn't have been
prevented by a check as stupid as "are there immutable functions in
here".  I still say that what such a check is likely to do is encourage
people to mis-label mutable functions as immutable ... which will cause
them a lot of *other* headaches.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Check constraints on non-immutable keys

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 11:49 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> My scintillating contribution to this discussion is the observation
>> that unrestorable dumps suck.
>
> No doubt, but is this a real problem in practice?

Magnus tells me that that was what prompted his original email.

> I can't recall many
> field complaints about it.  And the ones I do recall wouldn't have been
> prevented by a check as stupid as "are there immutable functions in
> here".

Hopefully there aren't too many ways to get data into a table that
doesn't satisfy its check constraint - what else are you thinking of?
Short of direct system catalog manipulation with malice aforethought,
redefining a function to return different results after the fact is
the only other case I can think of, and I'd propose we block that
somehow too if I could figure out how.

> I still say that what such a check is likely to do is encourage
> people to mis-label mutable functions as immutable ... which will cause
> them a lot of *other* headaches.

If it does, those headaches are their fault, whereas this one, at
least as I see it, is our fault.  The fact that you can injure
yourself badly with a sharp knife is not an excuse for someone to hand
it to you pointy-end-first.

I think it would be useful to have check constraints that are only
enforced on new data, and allowing immutable functions there would
make sense.  But I can't think of any reasonable use case for having a
non-immutable check constraint of the type we have now.  Can you?
Besides breaking pg_dump, it can also potentially foul up constraint
exclusion.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: Check constraints on non-immutable keys

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
On 30/06/10 17:11, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 11:49 AM, Tom Lane<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>  wrote:
>> Robert Haas<robertmhaas@gmail.com>  writes:
>>> My scintillating contribution to this discussion is the observation
>>> that unrestorable dumps suck.
>>
>> No doubt, but is this a real problem in practice?
>
> Magnus tells me that that was what prompted his original email.

I've done it. Luckily only with a small and fully functioning database
so I could drop the constraint and re-dump it.

Had a "recent_date" domain that was making sure new diary-style entries
had a plausible date. Of course, two years later my dump can no longer
restore the oldest record :-(

IMHO The real solution would be something that could strip/rewrite the
constraint on restore rather than trying to prevent people being stupid
though. People *will* just tag their functions as immutable to get them
to work.

--   Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd

Re: Check constraints on non-immutable keys

Дата:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 11:49 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I can't recall many
>> field complaints about it. �And the ones I do recall wouldn't have been
>> prevented by a check as stupid as "are there immutable functions in
>> here".

> Hopefully there aren't too many ways to get data into a table that
> doesn't satisfy its check constraint - what else are you thinking of?

Nobody is talking about having bypassed a check constraint --- the
problem here is what if the "same" constraint condition is true today
and false tomorrow.  The cases that I can recall were not directly about
time passing, but rather about check constraints that were designed to
examine the contents of other tables or other rows in the same table.
Functions that do that are properly declared STABLE not VOLATILE, but
they'd still be rejected by Magnus' proposed restriction.  The problem
is that people would be *very* likely to just mark them IMMUTABLE rather
than understand that what they're trying is fundamentally unreliable.
That would cause them other problems, and they'd still be at risk of
their dumps not reloading.

I concur with the thought that the most useful solution might be a way
to tell pg_restore to remove or disable check constraints.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Check constraints on non-immutable keys

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
On 30/06/10 18:11, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 18:33, Richard Huxton<dev@archonet.com>  wrote:
>>
>> IMHO The real solution would be something that could strip/rewrite the
>> constraint on restore rather than trying to prevent people being stupid
>> though. People *will* just tag their functions as immutable to get them to
>> work.
>
> Are you sure? The people most likely to "just tag their functions as
> immutable", are the same ones most unlikely to know *how to do that*.
> At least for what I think is the majority case - which is calling
> builtin functions.

People just cut and paste this stuff from ancient blog entries.
Understanding is not necessary. Hell, I do it sometimes if I'm dealing
with something like LDAP where I don't really have a deep knowledge of
the situation.

--   Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd

Re: Check constraints on non-immutable keys

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 18:33, Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com> wrote:
> On 30/06/10 17:11, Robert Haas wrote:

>>> No doubt, but is this a real problem in practice?
>>
>> Magnus tells me that that was what prompted his original email.
>
> I've done it. Luckily only with a small and fully functioning database so I
> could drop the constraint and re-dump it.
>
> Had a "recent_date" domain that was making sure new diary-style entries had
> a plausible date. Of course, two years later my dump can no longer restore
> the oldest record :-(
>
> IMHO The real solution would be something that could strip/rewrite the
> constraint on restore rather than trying to prevent people being stupid
> though. People *will* just tag their functions as immutable to get them to
> work.

Are you sure? The people most likely to "just tag their functions as
immutable", are the same ones most unlikely to know *how to do that*.
At least for what I think is the majority case - which is calling
builtin functions.

Re: Check constraints on non-immutable keys

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 19:16, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 11:49 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> I can't recall many
>>> field complaints about it.  And the ones I do recall wouldn't have been
>>> prevented by a check as stupid as "are there immutable functions in
>>> here".
>
>> Hopefully there aren't too many ways to get data into a table that
>> doesn't satisfy its check constraint - what else are you thinking of?
>
> Nobody is talking about having bypassed a check constraint --- the
> problem here is what if the "same" constraint condition is true today
> and false tomorrow.  The cases that I can recall were not directly about
> time passing, but rather about check constraints that were designed to
> examine the contents of other tables or other rows in the same table.
> Functions that do that are properly declared STABLE not VOLATILE, but
> they'd still be rejected by Magnus' proposed restriction.  The problem
> is that people would be *very* likely to just mark them IMMUTABLE rather
> than understand that what they're trying is fundamentally unreliable.
> That would cause them other problems, and they'd still be at risk of
> their dumps not reloading.
>
> I concur with the thought that the most useful solution might be a way
> to tell pg_restore to remove or disable check constraints.

Uh, say what? Are you saying pg_restore should actually remove
something from the database schema? And thus no longer be valid for
taking database backups?

Or are you just saying that it should have the constraints off, load
the data, and then somehow create the constraint without having it
validate the exinsting data (like the NOCHECK option in MSSQL?)

Re: Check constraints on non-immutable keys

От
Merlin Moncure
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> We currently allow this:
>
> postgres=# create table t(a timestamptz not null primary key, check(a > now()));
> NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index
> "t_pkey" for table "t"
> CREATE TABLE
>

> Which seems very wrong. For one thing, a dump of this database can not
> be restored if now() has advanced enough into the future (which it
> will eventually). It also makes impossible to do things like SET a=a
> on the table.
>
> Yes, this is clearly a stupidly defined constraint, but why do we allow it?
>
> Shouldn't we disallow anything that's not IMMUTABLE in a check constraint?

suppose you did do this: shouldn't you then also recheck the
constraint if the function is create/replaced?

merlin

Re: Check constraints on non-immutable keys

Дата:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 19:16, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I concur with the thought that the most useful solution might be a way
>> to tell pg_restore to remove or disable check constraints.

> Uh, say what? Are you saying pg_restore should actually remove
> something from the database schema? And thus no longer be valid for
> taking database backups?

pg_restore, not pg_dump.  It's no more unreasonable an idea than the
current pg_restore options for selective restores, AFAICS.  You can
already cause pg_restore to not restore PK and FK constraints, for
example, so why not check constraints?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Check constraints on non-immutable keys

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 20:13, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 19:16, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> I concur with the thought that the most useful solution might be a way
>>> to tell pg_restore to remove or disable check constraints.
>
>> Uh, say what? Are you saying pg_restore should actually remove
>> something from the database schema? And thus no longer be valid for
>> taking database backups?
>
> pg_restore, not pg_dump.  It's no more unreasonable an idea than the
> current pg_restore options for selective restores, AFAICS.  You can
> already cause pg_restore to not restore PK and FK constraints, for
> example, so why not check constraints?

Oh, sorry, I misread that - I thought you suggested it would do so by
default. Clearly, I should've left work about 2 minutes earlier and
not bothered you with that response :-)

Re: Check constraints on non-immutable keys

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On ons, 2010-06-30 at 10:38 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Shouldn't we disallow anything that's not IMMUTABLE in a check constraint?
>
> I think you'd get too many howls of pain ... also, such a restriction is
> likely contrary to SQL spec.

<kibo>
"The <search condition> shall simply contain a <boolean value
expression> that is retrospectively deterministic."

This is then defined in a rather complex manner that ends up disallowing
col > now() but allowing col < now().
</kibo>

Re: Check constraints on non-immutable keys

Дата:
> <kibo>
> "The <search condition> shall simply contain a <boolean value
> expression> that is retrospectively deterministic."

> This is then defined in a rather complex manner that ends up disallowing
> col > now() but allowing col < now().
> </kibo>

Oh, cute.  Seems to have been added in SQL:2003.  I guess somebody
nagged them about wanting to be able to write CHECK(col <= now()).
The detailed definition is amazingly laborious and yet limited, though,
as it basically doesn't address the problem except for that specific
case and close relatives.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Check constraints on non-immutable keys

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 6:57 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> <kibo>
>> "The <search condition> shall simply contain a <boolean value
>> expression> that is retrospectively deterministic."
>
>> This is then defined in a rather complex manner that ends up disallowing
>> col > now() but allowing col < now().
>> </kibo>
>
> Oh, cute.  Seems to have been added in SQL:2003.  I guess somebody
> nagged them about wanting to be able to write CHECK(col <= now()).
> The detailed definition is amazingly laborious and yet limited, though,
> as it basically doesn't address the problem except for that specific
> case and close relatives.

Well, solving the problem in general is equivalent to the halting problem, so...

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: Check constraints on non-immutable keys

От
Chris Browne
Дата:
magnus@hagander.net (Magnus Hagander) writes:
>> I concur with the thought that the most useful solution might be a way
>> to tell pg_restore to remove or disable check constraints.
>
> Uh, say what? Are you saying pg_restore should actually remove
> something from the database schema? And thus no longer be valid for
> taking database backups?
>
> Or are you just saying that it should have the constraints off, load
> the data, and then somehow create the constraint without having it
> validate the exinsting data (like the NOCHECK option in MSSQL?)

Well, consider the way that foreign keys are handled by pg_dump.

- Initially, it dumps out the table schema, NOT replete with foreign key constraints.

- Data is loaded, *without* checking foreign keys.

- Foreign keys are added in, afterwards.

That's not a scenario where constraints are ignored - their evaluation
is merely deferred.

For constraints that involve dates, I can certainly see a potential for foot guns.

It points me towards making sure that our apps don't do
over-aggressive things like having constraints to prevent data from
being inserted back-dated, as that would cause restores of backups to
break.  That's a dangerous kind of constraint.

It's *possible* that it would be an idea to apply the check constraint
late in the pg_dump, so that the ill effects might be imagined to be
alleviated.  That seems rather wishful.
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "gmail.com")
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/languages.html

Re: Check constraints on non-immutable keys

Дата:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 6:57 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> The detailed definition is amazingly laborious and yet limited, though,
>> as it basically doesn't address the problem except for that specific
>> case and close relatives.

> Well, solving the problem in general is equivalent to the halting problem, so...

So is proving determinism.  They had the sense to *not* try to define
what that means.
        regards, tom lane