Обсуждение: Hypothetical Indexes - PostgreSQL extension - PGCON 2010

Hypothetical Indexes - PostgreSQL extension - PGCON 2010

От
Ana Carolina Brito de Almeida
Дата:
hypotheticalindexes (and soon index self-tuning), is available through a sourgeforge project. <br />This was suggested
atPgCon 2010 and we hope some of you may find it useful, contribute and give us your feedback.<br />
/>
Ana Carolina Almeida<br /></pre>

Re: Hypothetical Indexes - PostgreSQL extension - PGCON 2010

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Ana,

> We would like to inform you all that our extension to PostgreSQL, that includes hypothetical indexes (and soon index
self-tuning),is available through a sourgeforge project.

> This was suggested at PgCon 2010 and we hope some of you may find it useful, contribute and give us your feedback.

Great to see this being available finally!

--                                  -- Josh Berkus                                    PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                        http://www.pgexperts.com

Re: Hypothetical Indexes - PostgreSQL extension - PGCON 2010

От
Jeroen Vermeulen
Дата:
On 2010-12-02 00:48, Ana Carolina Brito de Almeida wrote:

> We would like to inform you all that our extension to PostgreSQL, that includes hypothetical indexes (and soon index
self-tuning),is available through a sourgeforge project.

> This was suggested at PgCon 2010 and we hope some of you may find it useful, contribute and give us your feedback.

Looking at the sourceforge page, I'm left with one burning question:
what are they for?

I can see what a hypothetical index is, but neither the project pages
nor the README in the tarball say why I might want one.  I'd be quite
interested to know that.

Jeroen

Re: Hypothetical Indexes - PostgreSQL extension - PGCON 2010

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
On 03/12/10 08:14, Jeroen Vermeulen wrote:
> On 2010-12-02 00:48, Ana Carolina Brito de Almeida wrote:
>
>> We would like to inform you all that our extension to PostgreSQL, that
>> includes hypothetical indexes (and soon index self-tuning), is
>> available through a sourgeforge project.

> Looking at the sourceforge page, I'm left with one burning question:
> what are they for?

I believe they're for performance testing. Add hypothetical index (takes
very little time). Check estimated costs with EXPLAIN. If good, add real
index (takes lots of time).

Of course, they're also good for indexing hypothetical data ;-)

--   Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd

Re: Hypothetical Indexes - PostgreSQL extension - PGCON 2010

От
Jeroen Vermeulen
Дата:
On 2010-12-03 19:44, Sergio Lifschitz wrote:
> Indeed, hypothetical indexes are good to check potentially good
> configurations without harming the whole system with actual index
> creation. Please observer that we've added an "explain hypothetical"
> command, that will include plans considering hypothetical indexes! We'll
> try to add a simple case study that would help those wondering about
> this project.

That sounds very useful indeed!

Jeroen

Re: Hypothetical Indexes - PostgreSQL extension - PGCON 2010

От
Ana Carolina Brito de Almeida
Дата:
href="http://sourceforge.net/projects/hypotheticalind/files/TUTORIAL_8_4.pdf/download">http://sourceforge.net/projects/hypotheticalind/files/TUTORIAL_8_4.pdf/download</a><br
class="gmail_quote">2010/12/3 Jeroen Vermeulen <span dir="ltr"><<a
solidrgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;"><div class="im">On 2010-12-03 19:44, Sergio
Lifschitzwrote:<br /><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt
0pt0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;"> Indeed, hypothetical indexes are good to check potentially good<br /> configurations
withoutharming the whole system with actual index<br /> creation. Please observer that we've added an "explain
hypothetical"<br/> command, that will include plans considering hypothetical indexes! We'll<br /> try to add a simple

Re: Hypothetical Indexes - PostgreSQL extension - PGCON 2010

От
Sergio Lifschitz
Дата:
Indeed, hypothetical indexes are good to check potentially good
configurations without harming the whole system with actual index
creation. Please observer that we've added an "explain hypothetical"
command, that will include plans considering hypothetical indexes! We'll
try to add a simple case study that would help those wondering about
this project.

Sergio

On 3/12/2010 08:06, Richard Huxton wrote:
> On 03/12/10 08:14, Jeroen Vermeulen wrote:
>> On 2010-12-02 00:48, Ana Carolina Brito de Almeida wrote:
>>
>>> We would like to inform you all that our extension to PostgreSQL, that
>>> includes hypothetical indexes (and soon index self-tuning), is
>>> available through a sourgeforge project.
>
>> Looking at the sourceforge page, I'm left with one burning question:
>> what are they for?
>
> I believe they're for performance testing. Add hypothetical index
> (takes very little time). Check estimated costs with EXPLAIN. If good,
> add real index (takes lots of time).
>
> Of course, they're also good for indexing hypothetical data ;-)

Re: Hypothetical Indexes - PostgreSQL extension - PGCON 2010

От
Jeroen Vermeulen
Дата:
On 2010-12-03 20:49, Ana Carolina Brito de Almeida wrote:

> We add a simple case study (sourceforge page):
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/hypotheticalind/files/TUTORIAL_8_4.pdf/download

Great, thanks!

I'll try to write a bit more about it later:

http://pqxx.org/development/libpqxx/wiki/HypotheticalIndexes

Jeroen