Обсуждение: Cursor behavior

Cursor behavior

От
amit sehas
Дата:
HI,

I had a question about the cursor internals implementation. When you Fetch next 'n' results without moving the cursors,
isthis kind of functionality implemented by firstly executing the whole query and then moving the cursor over the
results,or are the movements done on active database lookups, moving forward and backward...

it seems that the cursor implementation functions evaluate the whole query and then return results as requested, it
wouldseem to be too difficult to otherwise support a functionality that returns next 10 results without moving the
cursors...we need to determine this since in our case we are

dealing with a query that returns millions of records, and we would rather the cursor did not evaluate the whole query
upfront...

any help is greatly appreciated...

thanks

Re: Cursor behavior

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 4:15 PM, amit sehas <cun23@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I had a question about the cursor internals implementation. When you Fetch next 'n' results without moving the
cursors,is this kind of functionality implemented by firstly executing the whole query and then moving the cursor over
theresults, or are the movements done on active database lookups, moving forward and backward...

I think it depends on the query.  For example, I believe that a query
involving writeable CTEs will be run to completion before returning
any results, but I believe that a seqscan will not.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Cursor behavior

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 11:44 AM, amit sehas <cun23@yahoo.com> wrote:
> It seems that the task of fetching next n results without moving the cursor seems like too complicated to implement
forany query that has

> even a little bit of complication in it...

I think that's probably true.  It would also be expensive if you did
implement it; who wants to go re-execute a join to back up the scan?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Cursor behavior