Обсуждение: unsigned and signed chars in libpq API

unsigned and signed chars in libpq API

От
Dmitriy Igrishin
Дата:
ratherthan just char* ?<br />I am asking because a bit confused. How this intermixes with LO's API,<br />which based on
signedchars (although as we all know large object -<br /> is a just bytea splitted on chunks)?<br />And also
/><br/><br />

Re: unsigned and signed chars in libpq API

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
On Thu, Feb  2, 2012 at 10:33:24AM +0300, Dmitriy Igrishin wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Could you tell me please an objective reason why PQunescapeBytea()
> returns unsigned char* rather than just char* ?
> I am asking because a bit confused. How this intermixes with LO's API,
> which based on signed chars (although as we all know large object -
> is a just bytea splitted on chunks)?
> And also PQgetvalue() returns char* rather than unsigned char*.

Can someone answer this?  Are we consistent here?

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: unsigned and signed chars in libpq API

Дата:
> On Thu, Feb  2, 2012 at 10:33:24AM +0300, Dmitriy Igrishin wrote:
>> Could you tell me please an objective reason why PQunescapeBytea()
>> returns unsigned char* rather than just char* ?
>> I am asking because a bit confused. How this intermixes with LO's API,
>> which based on signed chars (although as we all know large object -
>> is a just bytea splitted on chunks)?
>> And also PQgetvalue() returns char* rather than unsigned char*.

> Can someone answer this?  Are we consistent here?

We're not, particularly, but changing any of this seems likely to
create more pain than it removes.
        regards, tom lane

Re: unsigned and signed chars in libpq API

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 12:40:37PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb  2, 2012 at 10:33:24AM +0300, Dmitriy Igrishin wrote:
> >> Could you tell me please an objective reason why PQunescapeBytea()
> >> returns unsigned char* rather than just char* ?
> >> I am asking because a bit confused. How this intermixes with LO's API,
> >> which based on signed chars (although as we all know large object -
> >> is a just bytea splitted on chunks)?
> >> And also PQgetvalue() returns char* rather than unsigned char*.
>
> > Can someone answer this?  Are we consistent here?
>
> We're not, particularly, but changing any of this seems likely to
> create more pain than it removes.

OK, thanks.

http://enterprisedb.com