Обсуждение: Change of pg_ctl's default shutdown method

Change of pg_ctl's default shutdown method

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
We originally chose "smart" as the default pg_ctl shutdown method
because it was the least disruptive, but experience has shown that it is
too polite, so the current default is inconvenient.

We have discussed changing the default shutdown mode to "fast", and 9.5
might be the release where we do that.  The attached patch accomplishes
this.

I have not re-ordered the shutdown method options because I am trying to
keep the list logical, from least to most severe, so "smart" is still
listed first.  It is odd that the default is the middle option, but I
don't see any other idea on improving that.  How do we handle other
cases where the default is in the middle of a range of values?

  + Everyone has their own god. +

Вложения

Re: Change of pg_ctl's default shutdown method

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 6:19 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> I have not re-ordered the shutdown method options because I am trying to
> keep the list logical, from least to most severe, so "smart" is still
> listed first.  It is odd that the default is the middle option, but I
> don't see any other idea on improving that.

I don't really think it's a problem.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Change of pg_ctl's default shutdown method

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 07:00:59PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 6:19 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > I have not re-ordered the shutdown method options because I am trying to
> > keep the list logical, from least to most severe, so "smart" is still
> > listed first.  It is odd that the default is the middle option, but I
> > don't see any other idea on improving that.
>
> I don't really think it's a problem.

Applied.

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +