Обсуждение: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Close some holes in BRIN page assignment

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Close some holes in BRIN page assignment

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Close some holes in BRIN page assignment

buildfarm evidently didn't like this one :-(

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Close some holes in BRIN page assignment

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2015-08-12 16:08:08 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Close some holes in BRIN page assignment
>
> buildfarm evidently didn't like this one :-(

clang seems to see a (the?) problem:

/home/andres/src/postgresql/src/backend/access/brin/brin_pageops.c:357:6: warning: variable 'extended' is used
uninitializedwhenever 'if'     condition is false [-Wsometimes-uninitialized]       if (!BufferIsValid(*buffer))
  ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

/home/andres/src/postgresql/src/backend/access/brin/brin_pageops.c:371:6: note: uninitialized use occurs here       if
(extended)          ^~~~~~~~

/home/andres/src/postgresql/src/backend/access/brin/brin_pageops.c:357:2: note: remove the 'if' if its condition is
alwaystrue       if (!BufferIsValid(*buffer))       ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

/home/andres/src/postgresql/src/backend/access/brin/brin_pageops.c:330:16: note: initialize the variable 'extended' to
silencethis warning       bool            extended;

Looks to me like it's right. That also explains why it's failing on a
fairly random selection of platforms and compilers...

Andres

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Close some holes in BRIN page assignment

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Andres Freund wrote:
> > Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > > Close some holes in BRIN page assignment
> >
> > buildfarm evidently didn't like this one :-(
>
> clang seems to see a (the?) problem:

Ahh, right.  There's an identical problem in the other function
(brin_doupdate); maybe the conditional there is more complicated than it
wants to analyze.  I was trying randomized memory and wasn't finding
anything ...

BTW I looked around the buildfarm and couldn't find a single member that
displayed these warnings :-(

> Looks to me like it's right. That also explains why it's failing on a
> fairly random selection of platforms and compilers...

Yeah ...

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Close some holes in BRIN page assignment

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2015-08-13 00:24:29 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Andres Freund wrote:
> > >
> > > buildfarm evidently didn't like this one :-(
> >
> > clang seems to see a (the?) problem:
>
> Ahh, right.  There's an identical problem in the other function
> (brin_doupdate); maybe the conditional there is more complicated than it
> wants to analyze.  I was trying randomized memory and wasn't finding
> anything ...
>
> BTW I looked around the buildfarm and couldn't find a single member that
> displayed these warnings :-(

I tripped on clang 3.7 (unreleased) and a fairly extensive set of
warning flags (-Weverything + -Wno-... of the stupid ones)...

FWIW, this very likely would have tripped in valgrind. Just running that
single test will not even be too slow.

Regards,

Andres