Обсуждение: El Capitan Removes OpenSSL Headers

El Capitan Removes OpenSSL Headers

От
"David E. Wheeler"
Дата:
Hackers,

Looks like Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan has remove the OpenSSL header files. They recommend building your own or using
nativeOS X SDKs, like Secure Transport:
 http://lists.apple.com/archives/macnetworkprog/2015/Jun/msg00025.html

I don’t suppose anyone has looked at what it would take to get PostgreSQL use Secure Transport, right? Here are the
docs:
 https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/Security/Reference/secureTransportRef/index.html

If it’s not feasible, those of use who need SSL connections on OS X will just have to build OpenSSL ourselves (or
installfrom Homebrew or MacPorts).

David

Re: El Capitan Removes OpenSSL Headers

Дата:
"David E. Wheeler" <david@justatheory.com> writes:
> Looks like Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan has remove the OpenSSL header files. They recommend building your own or using
nativeOS X SDKs, like Secure Transport:

>   http://lists.apple.com/archives/macnetworkprog/2015/Jun/msg00025.html

That's annoying.

> I don’t suppose anyone has looked at what it would take to get PostgreSQL use Secure Transport, right?

This is going to put a bit more urgency into the project Heikki had been
working on to allow use of more than one SSL implementation.  I can't
really see us back-porting that, though, which is going to leave things
in a fairly nasty place for all pre-9.6 branches ...
        regards, tom lane

Re: El Capitan Removes OpenSSL Headers

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 2:56 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> "David E. Wheeler" <david@justatheory.com> writes:
>> Looks like Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan has remove the OpenSSL header files. They recommend building your own or using
nativeOS X SDKs, like Secure Transport:
>>   http://lists.apple.com/archives/macnetworkprog/2015/Jun/msg00025.html
>
> That's annoying.
>
>> I don’t suppose anyone has looked at what it would take to get PostgreSQL use Secure Transport, right?
>
> This is going to put a bit more urgency into the project Heikki had been
> working on to allow use of more than one SSL implementation.  I can't
> really see us back-porting that, though, which is going to leave things
> in a fairly nasty place for all pre-9.6 branches ...

I think it'd be great to finish that project, but having to use
MacPorts to install the headers isn't really a big deal, is it?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: El Capitan Removes OpenSSL Headers

Дата:
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 2:56 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> "David E. Wheeler" <david@justatheory.com> writes:
>>> I don’t suppose anyone has looked at what it would take to get PostgreSQL use Secure Transport, right?

>> This is going to put a bit more urgency into the project Heikki had been
>> working on to allow use of more than one SSL implementation.  I can't
>> really see us back-porting that, though, which is going to leave things
>> in a fairly nasty place for all pre-9.6 branches ...

> I think it'd be great to finish that project, but having to use
> MacPorts to install the headers isn't really a big deal, is it?

Well, you'd have to use MacPorts' version of the openssl libraries,
too, since there'd be no certainty that their headers match the
Apple-provided libraries (in fact, I'd bet a lot that they don't).
This would be a pain if you wanted to put your compiled PG executables
on some other Mac.
        regards, tom lane

Re: El Capitan Removes OpenSSL Headers

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 9:14 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 2:56 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> "David E. Wheeler" <david@justatheory.com> writes:
>>> I don’t suppose anyone has looked at what it would take to get PostgreSQL use Secure Transport, right?

>> This is going to put a bit more urgency into the project Heikki had been
>> working on to allow use of more than one SSL implementation.  I can't
>> really see us back-porting that, though, which is going to leave things
>> in a fairly nasty place for all pre-9.6 branches ...

> I think it'd be great to finish that project, but having to use
> MacPorts to install the headers isn't really a big deal, is it?

Well, you'd have to use MacPorts' version of the openssl libraries,
too, since there'd be no certainty that their headers match the
Apple-provided libraries (in fact, I'd bet a lot that they don't).
This would be a pain if you wanted to put your compiled PG executables
on some other Mac.

Presumably the folks who build Postgres.app and the EDB installers will take care of that for the big majority of people though, won't they?

I agree it's something we should fix, but I'm not sure it's that urgent. It's no different from what Windows people have been dealing with all along, is it? And while it affects pg developers, I doubt it'll hit that many users?

--

Re: El Capitan Removes OpenSSL Headers

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 3:14 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

>>> This is going to put a bit more urgency into the project Heikki had been
>>> working on to allow use of more than one SSL implementation.  I can't
>>> really see us back-porting that, though, which is going to leave things
>>> in a fairly nasty place for all pre-9.6 branches ...
>
>> I think it'd be great to finish that project, but having to use
>> MacPorts to install the headers isn't really a big deal, is it?
>
> Well, you'd have to use MacPorts' version of the openssl libraries,
> too, since there'd be no certainty that their headers match the
> Apple-provided libraries (in fact, I'd bet a lot that they don't).
> This would be a pain if you wanted to put your compiled PG executables
> on some other Mac.

Yeah, I guess it means that people building for MacOS X will probably
have to ship OpenSSL as a dependency, which also means that they will
need to update it when new versions are released.  That is already a
pretty obnoxious disease on Windows, and it's unfortunate to see it
spreading.  It would save us a good deal of staff time here at
EnterpriseDB if we didn't have to do new releases of everything on
Windows every time there is an OpenSSL update.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: El Capitan Removes OpenSSL Headers

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
On Tue, Dec  1, 2015 at 03:35:39PM -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> > Well, you'd have to use MacPorts' version of the openssl libraries,
> > too, since there'd be no certainty that their headers match the
> > Apple-provided libraries (in fact, I'd bet a lot that they don't).
> > This would be a pain if you wanted to put your compiled PG executables
> > on some other Mac.
>
> Yeah, I guess it means that people building for MacOS X will probably
> have to ship OpenSSL as a dependency, which also means that they will
> need to update it when new versions are released.  That is already a
> pretty obnoxious disease on Windows, and it's unfortunate to see it
> spreading.  It would save us a good deal of staff time here at
> EnterpriseDB if we didn't have to do new releases of everything on
> Windows every time there is an OpenSSL update.

Do we still have licensing issues if we ship Postgres and OpenSSL
together?

http://enterprisedb.com

+ Roman grave inscription                             +

Re: El Capitan Removes OpenSSL Headers

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Do we still have licensing issues if we ship Postgres and OpenSSL
> together?

See
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20150801151410.GA28344%40awork2.anarazel.de

Re: El Capitan Removes OpenSSL Headers

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
On Tue, Dec  1, 2015 at 06:40:09PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Do we still have licensing issues if we ship Postgres and OpenSSL
> > together?
>
> See
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20150801151410.GA28344%40awork2.anarazel.de

True, but the current license is unchanged and has the advertising
clause, which I think we have to honor if we ship OpenSSL:
https://www.openssl.org/source/license.html

I assume Windows has to ship OpenSSL with the installer and has to abide
by this, for example.  OSX might have to do the same.  It might be good
to see what we do for Windows packages.

http://enterprisedb.com

+ Roman grave inscription                             +

Re: El Capitan Removes OpenSSL Headers

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 9:55 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec  1, 2015 at 06:40:09PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>
>> > Do we still have licensing issues if we ship Postgres and OpenSSL
>> > together?
>>
>> See
>> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20150801151410.GA28344%40awork2.anarazel.de
>
> True, but the current license is unchanged and has the advertising
> clause, which I think we have to honor if we ship OpenSSL:
>
>         https://www.openssl.org/source/license.html
>
> I assume Windows has to ship OpenSSL with the installer and has to abide
> by this, for example.  OSX might have to do the same.  It might be good
> to see what we do for Windows packages.

We already do it for all our installers - Windows, OSX and Linux. We
have to, otherwise we wouldn't be able to ensure the same binaries
would run on all the different supported versions.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: El Capitan Removes OpenSSL Headers

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
On Wed, Dec  2, 2015 at 08:53:07AM +0000, Dave Page wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 9:55 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

> >> See
> >> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20150801151410.GA28344%40awork2.anarazel.de
> >
> > True, but the current license is unchanged and has the advertising
> > clause, which I think we have to honor if we ship OpenSSL:
> >
> >         https://www.openssl.org/source/license.html
> >
> > I assume Windows has to ship OpenSSL with the installer and has to abide
> > by this, for example.  OSX might have to do the same.  It might be good
> > to see what we do for Windows packages.
>
> We already do it for all our installers - Windows, OSX and Linux. We
> have to, otherwise we wouldn't be able to ensure the same binaries
> would run on all the different supported versions.

OK, good.  So the Mac installers would have to do the same thing if they
also start shipping OpenSSL too.

http://enterprisedb.com

+ Roman grave inscription                             +

Re: El Capitan Removes OpenSSL Headers

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 1:06 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec  2, 2015 at 08:53:07AM +0000, Dave Page wrote:

>> > True, but the current license is unchanged and has the advertising
>> > clause, which I think we have to honor if we ship OpenSSL:
>> >
>> >         https://www.openssl.org/source/license.html
>> >
>> > I assume Windows has to ship OpenSSL with the installer and has to abide
>> > by this, for example.  OSX might have to do the same.  It might be good
>> > to see what we do for Windows packages.
>>
>> We already do it for all our installers - Windows, OSX and Linux. We
>> have to, otherwise we wouldn't be able to ensure the same binaries
>> would run on all the different supported versions.
>
> OK, good.  So the Mac installers would have to do the same thing if they
> also start shipping OpenSSL too.

OSX == Mac.