Обсуждение: Default make target in test modules

Default make target in test modules

Дата:
I happened to notice that if you type "make" in
src/test/modules/test_pg_dump, you will get a "make check" action
not "make all".  I hope this is just somebody being thoughtless
about Makefile ordering and not an intentional override of the
default make target.  If the latter, I beg to differ about it
being a good idea.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Default make target in test modules

От
Alvaro Herrera
Tom Lane wrote:
> I happened to notice that if you type "make" in
> src/test/modules/test_pg_dump, you will get a "make check" action
> not "make all".  I hope this is just somebody being thoughtless
> about Makefile ordering and not an intentional override of the
> default make target.  If the latter, I beg to differ about it
> being a good idea.

Strange.  Don't all these makefiles depend on the pgxs stuff emitting
something sane, which would have "all" as the first one? ...  Ooh, I see
that test_pg_dump adds "check" before including pgxs, which is what
AFAICS causes the problem.

I suppose this is a very easy mistake to make -- but also fortunately an
easy one to correct.  Do you want me to fix the affected modules?

Re: Default make target in test modules

Дата:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> I happened to notice that if you type "make" in
>> src/test/modules/test_pg_dump, you will get a "make check" action
>> not "make all".

> Strange.  Don't all these makefiles depend on the pgxs stuff emitting
> something sane, which would have "all" as the first one? ...  Ooh, I see
> that test_pg_dump adds "check" before including pgxs, which is what
> AFAICS causes the problem.

Right.

> I suppose this is a very easy mistake to make -- but also fortunately an
> easy one to correct.  Do you want me to fix the affected modules?

I was going to do it, but if you want to, feel free.

(BTW, I notice that test_pg_dump's Makefile misquotes its own path name,
probably copy-paste sloppiness.)

Tom Lane wrote:

> > I suppose this is a very easy mistake to make -- but also fortunately an
> > easy one to correct.  Do you want me to fix the affected modules?
>
> I was going to do it, but if you want to, feel free.

Done.

> (BTW, I notice that test_pg_dump's Makefile misquotes its own path name,
> probably copy-paste sloppiness.)

Uh, I hadn't noticed.  Fixed that one too.

Re: Default make target in test modules

Дата:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>>> I suppose this is a very easy mistake to make -- but also fortunately an
>>> easy one to correct.  Do you want me to fix the affected modules?

>> I was going to do it, but if you want to, feel free.

> Done.

Thanks.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Default make target in test modules

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
* Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
> I happened to notice that if you type "make" in
> src/test/modules/test_pg_dump, you will get a "make check" action
> not "make all".  I hope this is just somebody being thoughtless
> about Makefile ordering and not an intentional override of the
> default make target.  If the latter, I beg to differ about it
> being a good idea.

No, it wasn't intentional.

> > Done.
>
> Thanks.