Обсуждение: imorting csv files into postgres

imorting csv files into postgres

От
mike
Дата:
Does anyone know if you can import csv text files into postgres

I have tried the COPY command and it needs to have an existing table,
while what I want to do is create a new table from a csv file.

Also is there any way to define the text seperater ala MSSQL eg
field seperator = ,
text seperator = "

Thanks

Re: imorting csv files into postgres

От
Lamar Owen
mike wrote:

> Does anyone know if you can import csv text files into postgres

A perl script to do that was just posted to the GENERAL List....
Hmmmm....

Tim Uckun just posted the following:
-------
Here is your steps. 1) Create your destination table in postgres
2)  Export your data to a comma delimeted format
3)  save this perl script to a file

------
#! /usr/bin/perl
$inquotes = 0;
while (<>){    # Chop the crlf    chop ($_);    chop ($_);
    # this first bit goes through and replaces    # all the commas that re not in  quotes with tildes    for ($i=0 ; $i
<length($_) ; $i++){        $char=substr($_,$i,1);        if ($char eq '"' ){            $inquotes = not($inquotes);
   }else{            if ( (!$inquotes) && ($char eq ",") ){                substr($_,$i,1)="~";            }        }
}    # this replaces any quotes    s/"//g;    print "$_\n";

}
-----

4) type this cat myfile.txt | perl myprog.pl > outfile.dat
5) go to psql
6) COPY "tablename" FROM '/path/to/outfile.dat' USING DELIMITERS '~';
-----

See if that helps any.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: imorting csv files into postgres

От
"Adam Lang"
Дата:
Yeah, but he doesn't want to have to create the table before hand, he wants
postgresql to do all the work. ;)

The only way that I know of to do that is write a program and feed it the
CSV file... but in the program it is going to need to create the table.

Sometimes you just have to do the work yourself. :)

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
http://www.rutgersinsurance.com

Adam Lang wrote:
> Yeah, but he doesn't want to have to create the table before hand, he wants
> postgresql to do all the work. ;)
> The only way that I know of to do that is write a program and feed it the
> CSV file... but in the program it is going to need to create the table.

I have such a script for AOLserver Tcl that does all the work.  But it
requires a working AOLserver/PostgreSQL installation, which will take
longer to set up than a simple perl script would take to be written.
The hard part is the CSV parsing -- creating the table and filling in
the data is easy in comparison, especially in the Pg perl interface.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio