Обсуждение: raw data broken in 7.2 driver?

raw data broken in 7.2 driver?

От
David Bernhill
Дата:
Good day.

I'm having problems inserting raw data with the 7.2 jdbc driver. I've
tried out most of the ones available for download (Java 2). Some of them
seem to work with raw data in 7.2 but has problems with timestamp
instead. Is there any patch available for this?`For more detailed
description see below (found in the interactive docs).

Comment from Adam Jenkins "<adam@thejenkins.org>":
"The JDBC example given above as example 8-2 does not work as
advertised. I'm using postgresql 7.2, and the jdbc7.2dev-1.2.jar JDBC
driver. It seems that the driver interprets the data it reads from the
InputStream passed to setBinaryStream as a binary representation of the
actual field value -- in this case as a binary representation of an oid.
This is of course incorrect; really the binary data is image data, and
one would hope that what the driver would do is create a new large
object, store the binary data in it, and store the oid of the large
object in the oid field. What really happens is that the driver
constructs a SQL statement which has the binary data which was read from
the InputStream embedded directly in it as the value of the oid field.
So executeUpdate throws a SQLException like this:

java.sql.SQLException: ERROR: oidin: error in "213"

regards David

Re: raw data broken in 7.2 driver?

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
David,

Can you send a test example which demonstrates the problems?

Dave
On Mon, 2002-04-08 at 07:03, David Bernhill wrote:
> Good day.
>
> I'm having problems inserting raw data with the 7.2 jdbc driver. I've
> tried out most of the ones available for download (Java 2). Some of them
> seem to work with raw data in 7.2 but has problems with timestamp
> instead. Is there any patch available for this?`For more detailed
> description see below (found in the interactive docs).
>
> Comment from Adam Jenkins "<adam@thejenkins.org>":
> "The JDBC example given above as example 8-2 does not work as
> advertised. I'm using postgresql 7.2, and the jdbc7.2dev-1.2.jar JDBC
> driver. It seems that the driver interprets the data it reads from the
> InputStream passed to setBinaryStream as a binary representation of the
> actual field value -- in this case as a binary representation of an oid.
> This is of course incorrect; really the binary data is image data, and
> one would hope that what the driver would do is create a new large
> object, store the binary data in it, and store the oid of the large
> object in the oid field. What really happens is that the driver
> constructs a SQL statement which has the binary data which was read from
> the InputStream embedded directly in it as the value of the oid field.
> So executeUpdate throws a SQLException like this:
>
> java.sql.SQLException: ERROR: oidin: error in "213"
>
> regards David

Re: raw data broken in 7.2 driver?

От
David Bernhill
Дата:
Sure, however the problem seem to be that I didn't read the
documentation regarding the 7.2 driver properly. Doing
setBinaryStream/setBytes on a column declared as OID in the 7.2 driver
throws an exception where the converted byte[] is attached as a message.

regards David

> David,
>
> Can you send a test example which demonstrates the problems?
>
> Dave
> On Mon, 2002-04-08 at 07:03, David Bernhill wrote:
> > Good day.
> >
> > I'm having problems inserting raw data with the 7.2 jdbc driver. I've
> > tried out most of the ones available for download (Java 2). Some of them
> > seem to work with raw data in 7.2 but has problems with timestamp
> > instead. Is there any patch available for this?`For more detailed
> > description see below (found in the interactive docs).
> >
> > Comment from Adam Jenkins "<adam@thejenkins.org>":
> > "The JDBC example given above as example 8-2 does not work as
> > advertised. I'm using postgresql 7.2, and the jdbc7.2dev-1.2.jar JDBC
> > driver. It seems that the driver interprets the data it reads from the
> > InputStream passed to setBinaryStream as a binary representation of the
> > actual field value -- in this case as a binary representation of an oid.
> > This is of course incorrect; really the binary data is image data, and
> > one would hope that what the driver would do is create a new large
> > object, store the binary data in it, and store the oid of the large
> > object in the oid field. What really happens is that the driver
> > constructs a SQL statement which has the binary data which was read from
> > the InputStream embedded directly in it as the value of the oid field.
> > So executeUpdate throws a SQLException like this:
> >
> > java.sql.SQLException: ERROR: oidin: error in "213"
> >
> > regards David

Re: raw data broken in 7.2 driver?

От
David Bernhill
Дата:
Hello Barry.

Great! Thanks for your answer. Are there any documentation/discussion
concerning the performance of the jdbc driver for postgresql (or some
tuning parameters that can be of interest)? Are there any figures
related to "blob" performance? I takes me about 11 seconds to insert 1mb
raw data in postgresql, compared to 1.5 second in oracle. I tried the
bytea type as well, but the result was more or less the same.

thanks, David

> David,
>
> The behavior you are describing is correct for the 7.2 driver.  In 7.2 the driver now uses the bytea datatype to
storebinary data (not largeobjects as it did in 7.1 and earlier).  This is documented in the 7.2 documentation.  Also
inthe doc is a description on how to revert back to the old behavior.

> Thanks,
> --Barry

Дата:
David,

This is quite a difference? Are there any network differences that would
account for the difference?

Dave
On Tue, 2002-04-09 at 08:50, David Bernhill wrote:
> Hello Barry.
>
> Great! Thanks for your answer. Are there any documentation/discussion
> concerning the performance of the jdbc driver for postgresql (or some
> tuning parameters that can be of interest)? Are there any figures
> related to "blob" performance? I takes me about 11 seconds to insert 1mb
> raw data in postgresql, compared to 1.5 second in oracle. I tried the
> bytea type as well, but the result was more or less the same.
>
> thanks, David
>
> > David,
> >
> > The behavior you are describing is correct for the 7.2 driver.  In 7.2 the driver now uses the bytea datatype to
storebinary data (not largeobjects as it did in 7.1 and earlier).  This is documented in the 7.2 documentation.  Also
inthe doc is a description on how to revert back to the old behavior.

> > Thanks,
> > --Barry

Дата:
Hi Dave.

No network issues. Everything is running on my machine (dual intel with
scsi and 512mb ram). Anyone else that has some figures of the raw data
performance?

regards David

> David,
>
> This is quite a difference? Are there any network differences that would
> account for the difference?
>
> Dave
> On Tue, 2002-04-09 at 08:50, David Bernhill wrote:
> > Hello Barry.
> >
> > Great! Thanks for your answer. Are there any documentation/discussion
> > concerning the performance of the jdbc driver for postgresql (or some
> > tuning parameters that can be of interest)? Are there any figures
> > related to "blob" performance? I takes me about 11 seconds to insert 1mb
> > raw data in postgresql, compared to 1.5 second in oracle. I tried the
> > bytea type as well, but the result was more or less the same.
> >
> > thanks, David
> >
> > > David,
> > >
> > > The behavior you are describing is correct for the 7.2 driver.  In 7.2 the driver now uses the bytea datatype to
storebinary data (not largeobjects as it did in 7.1 and earlier).  This is documented in the 7.2 documentation.  Also
inthe doc is a description on how to revert back to the old behavior.

> > > Thanks,
> > > --Barry

Barry Lind
Дата:
David,

It would be interesting to know if this is a jdbc issue or a core
postgres issue.  What I might suggest is to turn query tracing on in the
backend (postgresql.conf) so that all sql sent by the jdbc driver is
logged to the log file.  Then run the same sql statements through psql
to get jdbc out of the loop and see what the performance is.

My guess is that the problem is mostly in the backend code that parses
the sql statement.  The problem being that the protocol between the
backend and clients does not support bind variables.  Thus for 1mb of
raw data it will produce a sql statement that is over 1mb in length.
The parser then needs to parse this entire 1+mb looking for syntax
errors etc.

I will forward on a mail thread that I had a couple of months ago with
Tom Lane on what I believe is the problem you are facing.

thanks,
--Barry

"Marin Dimitrov"
Дата: