Обсуждение: Requiring Ant 1.5 for build breaks JDK 1.1 compatibility

Requiring Ant 1.5 for build breaks JDK 1.1 compatibility

От
"Renaud Waldura"
Дата:
Dear PostgreSQL JDBC driver developers,

I was pleased to find that your JDBC driver for PostgreSQL only requires JDK
1.1 for minimal functionality. Congratulations and thank you for doing so.

Unfortunately building the driver requires Ant 1.5, which itself requires
JDK 1.2. This dependency breaks the ability to compile and use the driver on
a JDK 1.1 platform such as mine.

I tried to build the driver with Ant 1.4, which only requires JDK 1.1, and
it worked in fact just fine, apart from some minor problems for which I
include a patch. It appears to me the Ant 1.5 (thus JDK 1.2) dependency is a
rather weak one, and only present for convenience reasons.

As this breaks JDK 1.1 compatibility, which the driver itself supports, I
wish you would reconsider, and maybe altogether drop, this dependency.
Thanks!

The included patch allowed me to cleanly build and compile version 7.3.1 of
the JDBC driver on FreeBSD 4.2.

--Renaud

Вложения

Re: Requiring Ant 1.5 for build breaks JDK 1.1 compatibility

От
Barry Lind
Дата:
Renaud,

What sort of problems are you having building with ant 1.5 and jdk 1.1?
  I don't have any problems building with ant 1.6 and jdk1.1.  Also,
have you tried the prebuilt jar files on jdbc.postgresql.org?

--Barry

Renaud Waldura wrote:
> Dear PostgreSQL JDBC driver developers,
>
> I was pleased to find that your JDBC driver for PostgreSQL only requires JDK
> 1.1 for minimal functionality. Congratulations and thank you for doing so.
>
> Unfortunately building the driver requires Ant 1.5, which itself requires
> JDK 1.2. This dependency breaks the ability to compile and use the driver on
> a JDK 1.1 platform such as mine.
>
> I tried to build the driver with Ant 1.4, which only requires JDK 1.1, and
> it worked in fact just fine, apart from some minor problems for which I
> include a patch. It appears to me the Ant 1.5 (thus JDK 1.2) dependency is a
> rather weak one, and only present for convenience reasons.
>
> As this breaks JDK 1.1 compatibility, which the driver itself supports, I
> wish you would reconsider, and maybe altogether drop, this dependency.
> Thanks!
>
> The included patch allowed me to cleanly build and compile version 7.3.1 of
> the JDBC driver on FreeBSD 4.2.
>
> --Renaud

Re: Requiring Ant 1.5 for build breaks JDK 1.1 compatibility

От
"Renaud Waldura"
Дата:
Hi,

I built using the FreeBSD port of the PostgreSQL JDBC driver, which requires
Ant 1.5.
The FreeBSD port of Ant 1.5 requires JDK 1.2+, which had me believe Ant 1.5
couldn't run on JDK 1.1.

From your message I see it isn't the case. Thanks!

> What sort of problems are you having building with ant 1.5 and jdk 1.1?
>   I don't have any problems building with ant 1.6 and jdk1.1.  Also,
> have you tried the prebuilt jar files on jdbc.postgresql.org?
>
> --Barry
>
> Renaud Waldura wrote:
> > Dear PostgreSQL JDBC driver developers,
> >
> > I was pleased to find that your JDBC driver for PostgreSQL only requires
JDK
> > 1.1 for minimal functionality. Congratulations and thank you for doing
so.

> > Unfortunately building the driver requires Ant 1.5, which itself
requires
> > JDK 1.2. This dependency breaks the ability to compile and use the
driver on
> > a JDK 1.1 platform such as mine.
> >
> > I tried to build the driver with Ant 1.4, which only requires JDK 1.1,
and
> > it worked in fact just fine, apart from some minor problems for which I
> > include a patch. It appears to me the Ant 1.5 (thus JDK 1.2) dependency
is a
> > rather weak one, and only present for convenience reasons.
> >
> > As this breaks JDK 1.1 compatibility, which the driver itself supports,
> > wish you would reconsider, and maybe altogether drop, this dependency.
> > Thanks!
> >
> > The included patch allowed me to cleanly build and compile version 7.3.1
of
> > the JDBC driver on FreeBSD 4.2.
> >
> > --Renaud

Re: Requiring Ant 1.5 for build breaks JDK 1.1 compatibility

От
Daniel Serodio
Дата:
What is the difference in the FreeBSD port? Ant is pure Java! If the
Java code is the same, how can it require a different JDK?

Daniel Serodio <daniel@checkforte.com.br>
CheckForte