Обсуждение: Accessing PostgreSQL from a remote host ?

Accessing PostgreSQL from a remote host ?

От
Stéphane Pinel
Дата:
As a newbie, I would like to know exactly what I have to
do (and how) (on the server) in order to get a running connection to my
PostgreSQL database from a remote host (using a GUI
client).

I'm going to get mad since I've tried everything I could
read about this topic without any success for hours ;-)

MacOS X 10.2.4
PostgreSQL 7.3 (Marc Liyanage package)

Thanks !

Stephane

---
Stéphane
iChat/AIM: s.pinel
---

Re: Accessing PostgreSQL from a remote host ?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Stephane,

> As a newbie, I would like to know exactly what I have to
> do (and how) (on the server) in order to get a running connection to my
> PostgreSQL database from a remote host (using a GUI
> client).
>
> I'm going to get mad since I've tried everything I could
> read about this topic without any success for hours ;-)
>
> MacOS X 10.2.4
> PostgreSQL 7.3 (Marc Liyanage package)

It's easy:

1) Change your postgresql.conf file (which should be in Postgres' data
directory)  so that the option reads:
tcpip_socket = true

2) Modify your pg_hba.conf file to allow connections from the host from which
you are trying to connect.

3) Restart PostgreSQL

4) Configure your remote client to look to your database host to connect with
the authentication method you indicated in 2.

Have fun!

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Accessing PostgreSQL from a remote host ?

От
Stéphane Pinel
Дата:
Le vendredi, 14 fév 2003, à 21:40 Europe/Paris, Josh Berkus a écrit :

> Stephane,
>
>> As a newbie, I would like to know exactly what I have to
>> do (and how) (on the server) in order to get a running connection to
>> my
>> PostgreSQL database from a remote host (using a GUI
>> client).
>>
>> I'm going to get mad since I've tried everything I could
>> read about this topic without any success for hours ;-)
>>
>> MacOS X 10.2.4
>> PostgreSQL 7.3 (Marc Liyanage package)
>
> It's easy:
>
> 1) Change your postgresql.conf file (which should be in Postgres' data
> directory)  so that the option reads:
> tcpip_socket = true

OK. I've looked at this file and I saw that every line start with a
'#'. To my understanding
(approximatively nothing), this is a "comment" tag ? Should I rename:
"#tcpip_socket = true"
"tcpip_socket = true" ?

> 2) Modify your pg_hba.conf file to allow connections from the host
> from which
> you are trying to connect.
>
> 3) Restart PostgreSQL

Should I need to restart with the option -i ?

> 4) Configure your remote client to look to your database host to
> connect with
> the authentication method you indicated in 2.

Right.

Thank you very much

---
Stéphane
iChat/AIM: s.pinel
---

Re: Accessing PostgreSQL from a remote host ?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
 Stephane,

> OK. I've looked at this file and I saw that every line start with a
> '#'. To my understanding
> (approximatively nothing), this is a "comment" tag ? Should I rename:
> "#tcpip_socket = true"
> "tcpip_socket = true" ?

Yes.

> Should I need to restart with the option -i ?

No, the above option takes care of that.

> Thank you very much

You're welcome.  Post back if you have trouble with pg_hba.conf

--
-Josh Berkus

                                        Josh Berkus
   Complete information technology     josh@agliodbs.com
    and data management solutions     (415) 565-7293
   for law firms, small businesses      fax 621-2533
    and non-profit organizations.     San Francisco