Обсуждение: Front End Languages for PostgreSQL

Front End Languages for PostgreSQL

От
"Van Ingen, Lane"
Дата:
Does anybody have any solid information that says that one language is better as a front end to a PostgreSQL
database over another, and why ?

We are coming out of a PHP / MySQL environment, have adopted PostgreSQL, and are trying to decide which
language would be best to use with PostgreSQL. Since the application has to be rewritten, we are considering
lanuages like PHP and Java. The application is web-based.

Re: Front End Languages for PostgreSQL

От
Dick Davies
Дата:
* Van Ingen, Lane <lvaningen@ESNCC.com> [0223 20:23]:
> Does anybody have any solid information that says that one language is better as a front end to a PostgreSQL
> database over another, and why ?
>
> We are coming out of a PHP / MySQL environment, have adopted PostgreSQL, and are trying to decide which
> language would be best to use with PostgreSQL. Since the application has to be rewritten, we are considering
> lanuages like PHP and Java. The application is web-based.

Rails is great, if you don't mind learning Ruby.
Good postgres support too.

--
'Good news, everyone! I've taught the toaster to feel love!'
        -- Prof. Farnsworth

Re: Front End Languages for PostgreSQL

От
"Oisin Glynn"
Дата:
Just curious.

Is the reason for the change based on MySql or PHP or both.  We are building
an app on PHP PostgreSQL and I am curious.
We have notr found any issues with PostgreSQL and PHP.

We are using PEAR to abstract the DB from PHP which seems to be worth doing
if we were ever to consider another DB platform.
We have been able to change the underlieing DBMS with no PHP changes other
than connect string used in PEAR though this was only for test purposes.

Oisin
> > Does anybody have any solid information that says that one language is
better as a front end to a PostgreSQL
> > database over another, and why ?
> >
> > We are coming out of a PHP / MySQL environment, have adopted PostgreSQL,
and are trying to decide which
> > language would be best to use with PostgreSQL. Since the application has
to be rewritten, we are considering
> > lanuages like PHP and Java. The application is web-based.
>
> Rails is great, if you don't mind learning Ruby.
> Good postgres support too.
>
> --
> 'Good news, everyone! I've taught the toaster to feel love!'
> -- Prof. Farnsworth
> Rasputin :: Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns

Re: Front End Languages for PostgreSQL

От
Bo Lorentsen
Дата:
Van Ingen, Lane wrote:

>Does anybody have any solid information that says that one language is better as a front end to a PostgreSQL database
overanother, and why ?

I think this has more to do with the demands of the language, I have
used it with both PHP, Python and C++. I prefer python (mod_python for
apache)  and C++ but this has nothing to do with the postgresql binding,
but a lot about the language.

>We are coming out of a PHP / MySQL environment, have adopted PostgreSQL, and are trying to decide which
>language would be best to use with PostgreSQL. Since the application has to be rewritten, we are considering lanuages
likePHP and Java. The application is web-based.

Hmm, I think the DB (binding) is of no relevance regarding choice of
language. The software model you are (planning to) using are more
relevant, like :  will you need a OO class model, and do you prefer
exceptions for future error handling. The last thing to consider is the
performance demands, but the DB binding has nothing to do with this.

Hope this helps ...

/BL

Re: Front End Languages for PostgreSQL

От
"Van Ingen, Lane"
Дата:
The reason for the change is not PHP; it is MySQL. We want some of the advanced functionality
that MySQL will not have until at least version 5 (whatever form it comes in; we keep reading that
some of the version 5 MySQL stuff may be 'basic' (whatever that means)). We need views, triggers,
stored procedures in mature form now.

The reason for the question from me is that we have been hearing that some languages work better
than others with postgres; don't know why, but it could be how tightly coupled it is, how well the
API(?) works with these other languages, etc. In other words, I think I am looking more for any
performance differences that are significant.

    > > Does anybody have any solid information that says that one language is
    better as a front end to a PostgreSQL
    > > database over another, and why ?
    > >
    > > We are coming out of a PHP / MySQL environment, have adopted PostgreSQL,
    and are trying to decide which
    > > language would be best to use with PostgreSQL. Since the application has
    to be rewritten, we are considering
    > > lanuages like PHP and Java. The application is web-based.
    >
    > Rails is great, if you don't mind learning Ruby.
    > Good postgres support too.
    >
    > --
    > 'Good news, everyone! I've taught the toaster to feel love!'
    > -- Prof. Farnsworth
    > Rasputin :: Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns

Re: Front End Languages for PostgreSQL

От
"Van Ingen, Lane"
Дата:
Performance is really the bottom line for us. Would you like to qualify your opinion further, using that
as the criteria?

    >Does anybody have any solid information that says that one language is better as a front end to a PostgreSQL
databaseover another, and why ?

    I think this has more to do with the demands of the language, I have
    used it with both PHP, Python and C++. I prefer python (mod_python for
    apache)  and C++ but this has nothing to do with the postgresql binding,
    but a lot about the language.

    >We are coming out of a PHP / MySQL environment, have adopted PostgreSQL, and are trying to decide which
    >language would be best to use with PostgreSQL. Since the application has to be rewritten, we are considering
lanuageslike PHP and Java. The application is web-based.

    Hmm, I think the DB (binding) is of no relevance regarding choice of
    language. The software model you are (planning to) using are more
    relevant, like :  will you need a OO class model, and do you prefer
    exceptions for future error handling. The last thing to consider is the
    performance demands, but the DB binding has nothing to do with this.

    Hope this helps ...

    /BL

Re: Front End Languages for PostgreSQL

От
Bo Lorentsen
Дата:
Van Ingen, Lane wrote:

>Performance is really the bottom line for us. Would you like to qualify your opinion further, using that
>as the criteria?

Performance in general, is a really big issue :-)

But in this case, when we look at a programming language and its DB
connectivity, we need to chose languages depending on the amount and
type of work done while _processing_, not by the DB binding. The only
performance issue in relation to a language binding are related to
support for special DB features, but on the other side ... most DB API's
are made as open source, and missing features can be added relativly
easy (sometimes by just asking nicely)  :-)

So, what kind of performance are you working for ? Fast DB access,
applicaiton modularity (OO), quick app. execution, concurrency execution
(multi user on a webside) ? These things You need to deside, and then
You know what to optimize for good performance.

Hope this is not too confusing :-)

/BL

Re: Front End Languages for PostgreSQL

От
Christopher Browne
Дата:
Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw when lvaningen@ESNCC.com ("Van Ingen, Lane") would write:
> Does anybody have any solid information that says that one language
> is better as a front end to a PostgreSQL database over another, and
> why ?

Here lies Serious Flamage...

One of the strengths of PostgreSQL is that people have built mappings
to make it usable in conjunction with _numerous_ languages, often with
APIs specially suited to the language.

People have had good success using numerous languages; it would seem
very strange to me for any language to be provably "better" in this
fashion.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "moc.liamg" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/languages.html