Обсуждение: core 2 duo

core 2 duo

От
Frank Bax
Дата:
This might be old news to a lot of people, but I'm wondering if pg will
automatically use both processors concurrently in a Core 2 Duo system.  I'm
planning to install OpenBSD 4.0 with SMP kernel (bsd.mp) and install pg
using their binary 8.1.5 package.

Re: core 2 duo

От
Sean Davis
Frank Bax wrote:
> This might be old news to a lot of people, but I'm wondering if pg
> will automatically use both processors concurrently in a Core 2 Duo
> system.  I'm planning to install OpenBSD 4.0 with SMP kernel (bsd.mp)
> and install pg using their binary 8.1.5 package.
I don't think so.  These SMP machines are simply two processors.  If you
run one query, only one process is used, so only one processor.  If you
have two independent queries (from two different users, for example),
two processes will be used and then the second processor can be utilized.

Sean

Re: core 2 duo

От
Frank Bax
Дата:
At 08:21 AM 12/17/06, Sean Davis wrote:

>Frank Bax wrote:
>>This might be old news to a lot of people, but I'm wondering if pg will
>>automatically use both processors concurrently in a Core 2 Duo
>>system.  I'm planning to install OpenBSD 4.0 with SMP kernel (bsd.mp) and
>>install pg using their binary 8.1.5 package.
>

>I don't think so.  These SMP machines are simply two processors.  If you
>run one query, only one process is used, so only one processor.  If you
>have two independent queries (from two different users, for example), two
>processes will be used and then the second processor can be utilized.

I assumed it wouldn't use two processors on one query.  I was wondering if
independent queries would automatically use multiple processors when
available; or if some special action had to be invoked (like compile time
switch or config option) before this behaviour was possible.  Sounds like
we get this behaviour "out of the box".  Great.