Обсуждение: pgsql & transaction doubt

pgsql & transaction doubt

От
Luca Ferrari
Дата:
Hi all,
a little doubt that came into my mind reading the official manual (chapter 37,
page 677): "functions and trigger procedures are always executed within a
transaction established by an outer query". What does "outer" means? If I'd
like a function to be execute within a transaction should I manually begin
and end the transaction or is the procedure code always executed in a kind of
subtransaction? I mean, supposing a function raises an exception, what
happens to all the sql statement issued by the function before the exception?
Are they automatically rollbacked?

Thanks,
Luca

Re: pgsql & transaction doubt

От
"A. Kretschmer"
Дата:
am  Fri, dem 26.01.2007, um  8:39:16 +0100 mailte Luca Ferrari folgendes:
> Hi all,
> a little doubt that came into my mind reading the official manual (chapter 37,
> page 677): "functions and trigger procedures are always executed within a
> transaction established by an outer query". What does "outer" means? If I'd
> like a function to be execute within a transaction should I manually begin
> and end the transaction or is the procedure code always executed in a kind of
> subtransaction? I mean, supposing a function raises an exception, what
> happens to all the sql statement issued by the function before the exception?
> Are they automatically rollbacked?

If you call a function "select my_function(param1, param2);", then is
this select the 'outer' query and starts a transaction. An exception
within the function rollback the whole function.

If you have a code like this:

begin;
insert into foo ...
select my_function(param1, param2);
commit;

and the function fails, then fails also the insert before your function.

Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer

Enable/Disable Trigger per single transaction

От
"Derrick Betts"
Дата:
Assuming we have well over 1000 users accessing the database through a web
application.
We have a row-level trigger set up on table "alpha" that gets executed after
updates.

I was wondering if there is a way to temporarily disable a trigger on table
"alpha" for a single user, even though there may be 999 other users sending
transactions to the database that need the trigger to remain in place?  For
example, I only want the trigger disabled for one single transaction (using
commands inside that transaction) while the trigger still gets fired
properly for the other 999 transactions that hit the database
simultaneously.

Is this possible at present?

Thank you for your insights,
Derrick

Re: Enable/Disable Trigger per single transaction

От
"Duncan Garland"
Дата:
I don't know if there's a clever way to do it, but the user can be
identified via the pseudo-column user.

e.g.

SELECT DISTINCT user FROM team;
 current_user
--------------
 dev
(1 row)

( user is not a column in team. )

You could incorporate that into the trigger logic.

Regards

Duncan
Assuming we have well over 1000 users accessing the database through a web
application.
We have a row-level trigger set up on table "alpha" that gets executed after
updates.

I was wondering if there is a way to temporarily disable a trigger on table
"alpha" for a single user, even though there may be 999 other users sending
transactions to the database that need the trigger to remain in place?  For
example, I only want the trigger disabled for one single transaction (using
commands inside that transaction) while the trigger still gets fired
properly for the other 999 transactions that hit the database
simultaneously.

Is this possible at present?

Thank you for your insights,
Derrick