Обсуждение: import msaccess stuff into pgccess-standalone desktop

import msaccess stuff into pgccess-standalone desktop

От
lee johnson
Дата:
was talking with someone online and they mentioned getting ODBC for
msaccess and them exporting my database with that and importing ( with
postgres-odbc installed) them somehow into postgres via pgaccess?????

that would be loverly if possible but are there ( assuming this is
possible)
special directions to be aware of to pull this off??

thx
lee

Re: import msaccess stuff into pgccess-standalone desktop

От
terry
Дата:
Get the Postgres ODBC driver for windoze (probably in your distro
already), and install it to point to your Postgres server.  Open
msaccess and Export your tables one at a time to the ODBC connection.
You don't need pgaccess for this....

--
terry

Re: import msaccess stuff into pgccess-standalone desktop

От
Rodger Haynes
Дата:
I just exported the access tables as tab delimited files and used the
plug-in in pgadminll to load it into PostgreSQL. There's a little
learning curve but it all seemed pretty intuitive.

lee johnson wrote:

> was talking with someone online and they mentioned getting ODBC for
> msaccess and them exporting my database with that and importing ( with
> postgres-odbc installed) them somehow into postgres via pgaccess?????
>
> that would be loverly if possible but are there ( assuming this is
> possible)
> special directions to be aware of to pull this off??
>
> thx
> lee

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: import msaccess stuff into pgccess-standalone desktop

От
lee johnson
Дата:
sorry let me refine this situation some..i'm using msaccess for my companies invoicing needs and looking for a best way scenario to start doing this in linux..i do not have a server on either linux or windows system ie: standalone machines albeit im thinking of hooking up a network to get both machines access to broadband without having to switch cables all the time <G> so thats an option if its one I need ?..anyway thats why I mentioned pgaccess as it has a 'interface' to postgres so I can start setting up a UI similar to what I had in msaccess to start the ball rolling at least...

thx
lee
-===

terry wrote:
[...]

Дата:
oh okay did search for pgadmin II and I see now..okay here's hoping this
new database migration gets the job done....

thx
:)
lee
-====

Rodger Haynes wrote:

> I just exported the access tables as tab delimited files and used the
> plug-in in pgadminll to load it into PostgreSQL. There's a little
> learning curve but it all seemed pretty intuitive.
>
> lee johnson wrote:
>
>> was talking with someone online and they mentioned getting ODBC for
>> msaccess and them exporting my database with that and importing (
>> with postgres-odbc installed) them somehow into postgres via
>> pgaccess?????
>>
>> that would be loverly if possible but are there ( assuming this is
>> possible)
>> special directions to be aware of to pull this off??
>>
>> thx
>> lee

>> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster
>>

> .

Re: import msaccess stuff into pgccess-standalone desktop

От
"Dave Page"

The pgAdmin Migration Wizard can normally handle .mdbs without the
intermediate stage.

www.pgadmin.org

Regards, Dave.

Re: import msaccess stuff into pgccess-standalone desktop

От
Jeff Eckermann
Дата:
--- lee johnson <lee@imyourhandiman.com> wrote:
> sorry let me refine this situation some..i'm using
> msaccess for my
> companies invoicing needs and looking for a best way
> scenario to start
> doing this in linux..> ?..anyway thats why I
mentioned pgaccess as it has a
> 'interface' to
> postgres so I can start setting up a UI similar to
> what I had in
> msaccess to start the ball rolling at least...

You can still use MS Access as a front end to
PostgreSQL.  Just migrate the tables in one of the
ways suggested, then just delete all of your Access
tables and link to the tables in the PostgreSQL
database (you may want to test this with a copy of
your .mdb file first :-) ).

Yahoo! - We Remember
http://dir.remember.yahoo.com/tribute