Обсуждение: ODBC Connection to External Data Source

ODBC Connection to External Data Source

От
"Paul R. Sand"

I am looking for procedures on how to connect postgres to an external data source (ODBC to Oracle). I then will query the external data source to write into postgres relations. I can’t find information on how to set up the ODBC connection from postgres to Oracle so I can use SQL in postgres to access data in the Oracle database. I have the Oracle ODBC drivers install and can access them with Excel. I need to also access the database from postgres. Any suggestions on where I can find information on how to make this OBDC connection?

Thanks!

Paul

Re: ODBC Connection to External Data Source

От
"Goulet, Dick"
Дата:
Paul,

    I may be wrong, but I have not found a method of doing so either.  On the other hand, look at Oracle's Heterogeneous services to fond out how to connect Oracle to PostGres.  Yeah, I know it's backwards, but it may be better than nothing.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified 8i DBA

I am looking for procedures on how to connect postgres to an external data source (ODBC to Oracle). I then will query the external data source to write into postgres relations. I can’t find information on how to set up the ODBC connection from postgres to Oracle so I can use SQL in postgres to access data in the Oracle database. I have the Oracle ODBC drivers install and can access them with Excel. I need to also access the database from postgres. Any suggestions on where I can find information on how to make this OBDC connection?

Thanks!

Paul

Re: ODBC Connection to External Data Source

От
Jeff Eckermann
Дата:
--- "Paul R. Sand" <paul_sand@mverify.com> wrote:
> I am looking for procedures on how to connect
> postgres to an external data
> source (ODBC to Oracle). I then will query the
> external data source to write
> into postgres relations. I can't find information on
> how to set up the ODBC
> connection from postgres to Oracle so I can use SQL
> in postgres to access
> data in the Oracle database. I have the Oracle ODBC
> drivers install and can
> access them with Excel. I need to also access the
> database from postgres.
> Any suggestions on where I can find information on
> how to make this OBDC
> connection?

There is an experimental package out there which
allows you to query an Oracle database from a
PostgreSQL database, but you probably don't want that
(if you are interested, check the archives of the
pgsql-hackers list).

You really need a client app to do what you want.  The
app would make separate ODBC connections to the two
databases, and transfer data between them as you wish.
 A simple setup would be to install the PostgreSQL
ODBC driver on your workstation
(http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/psqlodbc), set up
a DSN for your PostgreSQL database, then link to the
tables for both databases via a MS Access database.
You could then use SQL within Access to do what you
want.  This could be slow however, depending on your network.

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/

Re: ODBC Connection to External Data Source

От
"Trewern, Ben"
Дата:
What you're looking for is dblink it's in the contrib directory of the postgres distribution.  Not sure how it works as I haven't used it but it does have some documentation.

Regards,

Ben