Обсуждение: PGPASSWORDFILE env var for libpq

PGPASSWORDFILE env var for libpq

От
Alvaro Herrera
Hello:

I attach a patch that adds the PGPASSWORDFILE ability to libpq, and
removes the use of PGPASSWORD.

It uses the format
hostname:port:dbname:user:password

where each item can be replaced by *.

Identifiers that contain : or \ should be escaped with \.

Please double check the doc part of the patch, as I can't get the SGML
documentation to compile here.

Si no sabes adonde vas, es muy probable que acabes en otra parte.

Вложения

Re: PGPASSWORDFILE env var for libpq

Дата:
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@atentus.com> writes:
> I attach a patch that adds the PGPASSWORDFILE ability to libpq, and
> removes the use of PGPASSWORD.

Were we actually going to *remove* that, as opposed to deprecate it?

There are systems (in fact many) where it's perfectly secure, so I'm
not that thrilled about removing functionality ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: PGPASSWORDFILE env var for libpq

От
Alvaro Herrera
Tom Lane dijo:

> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@atentus.com> writes:
> > I attach a patch that adds the PGPASSWORDFILE ability to libpq, and
> > removes the use of PGPASSWORD.
>
> Were we actually going to *remove* that, as opposed to deprecate it?

Well, the TODO says "remove".

> There are systems (in fact many) where it's perfectly secure, so I'm
> not that thrilled about removing functionality ...

It takes very little to add again.  I'll submit a patch that corrects
this one.

"El conflicto es el camino real hacia la union"

Re: PGPASSWORDFILE env var for libpq

От
Larry Rosenman
Дата:
On Sun, 2002-08-11 at 15:45, Tom Lane wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@atentus.com> writes:
> > I attach a patch that adds the PGPASSWORDFILE ability to libpq, and
> > removes the use of PGPASSWORD.
>
> Were we actually going to *remove* that, as opposed to deprecate it?
>
> There are systems (in fact many) where it's perfectly secure, so I'm
> not that thrilled about removing functionality ...
PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE IT WITHOUT AT LEAST ONE RELEASE CYCLE WARNING.

You will ****BREAK**** People.

>             regards, tom lane

Re: PGPASSWORDFILE env var for libpq

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Larry Rosenman dijo:

> On Sun, 2002-08-11 at 15:45, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@atentus.com> writes:
> > > I attach a patch that adds the PGPASSWORDFILE ability to libpq, and
> > > removes the use of PGPASSWORD.
> >
> > Were we actually going to *remove* that, as opposed to deprecate it?
> >
> > There are systems (in fact many) where it's perfectly secure, so I'm
> > not that thrilled about removing functionality ...

> PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE IT WITHOUT AT LEAST ONE RELEASE CYCLE WARNING.
>
> You will ****BREAK**** People.

Ok, advice taken.  New patch attached.  Preserves the ability to use
PGPASSWORD, which in fact has preference over PGPASSWORDFILE.

www.google.com: interfaz de linea de comando para la web.

Вложения

Re: PGPASSWORDFILE env var for libpq

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Larry Rosenman wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-08-11 at 15:45, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@atentus.com> writes:
> > > I attach a patch that adds the PGPASSWORDFILE ability to libpq, and
> > > removes the use of PGPASSWORD.
> >
> > Were we actually going to *remove* that, as opposed to deprecate it?
> >
> > There are systems (in fact many) where it's perfectly secure, so I'm
> > not that thrilled about removing functionality ...
> PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE IT WITHOUT AT LEAST ONE RELEASE CYCLE WARNING.
>
> You will ****BREAK**** People.

OK, we will keep it for one release.  Good point.

Shame we couldn't do that will the 'reading password from /dev/tty'
change we made in 7.2.  I guess we could have had an environment
variable control it, but that is kind of weird.

Re: PGPASSWORDFILE env var for libpq

От
Larry Rosenman
Дата:
On Mon, 2002-08-12 at 00:16, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Larry Rosenman wrote:
> > >
> > > Were we actually going to *remove* that, as opposed to deprecate it?
> > >
> > > There are systems (in fact many) where it's perfectly secure, so I'm
> > > not that thrilled about removing functionality ...
> > PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE IT WITHOUT AT LEAST ONE RELEASE CYCLE WARNING.
> >
> > You will ****BREAK**** People.
>
> OK, we will keep it for one release.  Good point.
>
> Shame we couldn't do that will the 'reading password from /dev/tty'
> change we made in 7.2.  I guess we could have had an environment
> variable control it, but that is kind of weird.
make sure the fact that PGPASSWORD is going away is ***PROMINENT*** in
the release notes and README and anywhere PGPASSWORD is documented.  If
in fact, given TGL's objection, that it will go away in 7.4.

LER

Re: PGPASSWORDFILE env var for libpq

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Larry Rosenman wrote:
> > Shame we couldn't do that will the 'reading password from /dev/tty'
> > change we made in 7.2.  I guess we could have had an environment
> > variable control it, but that is kind of weird.
> make sure the fact that PGPASSWORD is going away is ***PROMINENT*** in
> the release notes and README and anywhere PGPASSWORD is documented.  If
> in fact, given TGL's objection, that it will go away in 7.4.

Did you find the documentation that LIMIT #,# was being removed in 7.3
to be prominent in 7.2?

The only way to do PGPASSWORD right would be to test OS's to see which
one's have secure environment variables.

Re: PGPASSWORDFILE env var for libpq

От
Larry Rosenman
Дата:
On Mon, 2002-08-12 at 10:53, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Larry Rosenman wrote:
> > > Shame we couldn't do that will the 'reading password from /dev/tty'
> > > change we made in 7.2.  I guess we could have had an environment
> > > variable control it, but that is kind of weird.
> > make sure the fact that PGPASSWORD is going away is ***PROMINENT*** in
> > the release notes and README and anywhere PGPASSWORD is documented.  If
> > in fact, given TGL's objection, that it will go away in 7.4.
>
> Did you find the documentation that LIMIT #,# was being removed in 7.3
> to be prominent in 7.2?
Sort of.  I only see it in the history file.....

> The only way to do PGPASSWORD right would be to test OS's to see which
> one's have secure environment variables.
SYSV based systems seem to, although those with Linux Personalities
grafted on may break that (e.g. OpenUNIX).

> --

Re: PGPASSWORDFILE env var for libpq

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Larry Rosenman dijo:

> > > Were we actually going to *remove* that, as opposed to deprecate it?
> > >
> > > There are systems (in fact many) where it's perfectly secure, so I'm
> > > not that thrilled about removing functionality ...
>
> > PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE IT WITHOUT AT LEAST ONE RELEASE CYCLE WARNING.
> >
> > You will ****BREAK**** People.
>
> Ok, advice taken.  New patch attached.  Preserves the ability to use
> PGPASSWORD, which in fact has preference over PGPASSWORDFILE.
>
> --
> Alvaro Herrera (<alvherre[a]atentus.com>)
> www.google.com: interfaz de linea de comando para la web.

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: PGPASSWORDFILE env var for libpq