Обсуждение: connect_timeout parameter in libpq

connect_timeout parameter in libpq

От
Denis A Ustimenko
Дата:
Hi there!

I need to change current connectDBComplete() behavior ( hang if backend are not responding). Here is the patch. Please
apply.

*** fe-connect.c.orig   Чт Авг  8 12:22:46 2002
--- fe-connect.c        Пт Авг  9 14:57:18 2002
***************
*** 114,119 ****
--- 114,122 ----
        {"password", "PGPASSWORD", DefaultPassword, NULL,
        "Database-Password", "*", 20},

+         {"connect_timeout", "PGCONNECT_TIMEOUT", NULL, NULL,
+         "Connect-timeout", "", 10}, /* strlen( INT32_MAX) == 10 */
+
        {"dbname", "PGDATABASE", NULL, NULL,
        "Database-Name", "", 20},

***************
*** 307,312 ****
--- 310,317 ----
        conn->pguser = tmp ? strdup(tmp) : NULL;
        tmp = conninfo_getval(connOptions, "password");
        conn->pgpass = tmp ? strdup(tmp) : NULL;
+       tmp = conninfo_getval(connOptions, "connect_timeout");
+       conn->connect_timeout = tmp ? strdup(tmp) : NULL;
  #ifdef USE_SSL
        tmp = conninfo_getval(connOptions, "requiressl");
        conn->require_ssl = tmp ? (tmp[0] == '1' ? true : false) : false;
***************
*** 1050,1060 ****
  {
        PostgresPollingStatusType flag = PGRES_POLLING_WRITING;

        if (conn == NULL || conn->status == CONNECTION_BAD)
                return 0;

!       for (;;)
        {
                /*
                 * Wait, if necessary.  Note that the initial state (just after
                 * PQconnectStart) is to wait for the socket to select for
--- 1055,1086 ----
  {
        PostgresPollingStatusType flag = PGRES_POLLING_WRITING;

+       time_t finish_time, start_time;
+       struct timeval remains, *rp = NULL;
+
        if (conn == NULL || conn->status == CONNECTION_BAD)
                return 0;

!       if (conn->connect_timeout != NULL)
        {
+               remains.tv_sec = atoi(conn->connect_timeout);
+               if (!remains.tv_sec)
+               {
+                       conn->status = CONNECTION_BAD;
+                       return 0;
+               }
+               remains.tv_usec = 0;
+               rp = &remains;
+       }
+
+
+       while (rp == NULL || remains.tv_sec > 0)
+       {
+               if ((time_t)-1 == (start_time = time(NULL)))
+               {
+                       conn->status = CONNECTION_BAD;
+                       return 0;
+               }
                /*
                 * Wait, if necessary.  Note that the initial state (just after
                 * PQconnectStart) is to wait for the socket to select for
***************
*** 1069,1075 ****
                                return 1;               /* success! */

                        case PGRES_POLLING_READING:
!                               if (pqWait(1, 0, conn))
                                {
                                        conn->status = CONNECTION_BAD;
                                        return 0;
--- 1095,1101 ----
                                return 1;               /* success! */

                        case PGRES_POLLING_READING:
!                               if (pqWaitTimed(1, 0, conn, rp))
                                {
                                        conn->status = CONNECTION_BAD;
                                        return 0;
***************
*** 1077,1083 ****
                                break;

                        case PGRES_POLLING_WRITING:
!                               if (pqWait(0, 1, conn))
                                {
                                        conn->status = CONNECTION_BAD;
                                        return 0;
--- 1103,1109 ----
                                break;

                        case PGRES_POLLING_WRITING:
!                               if (pqWaitTimed(0, 1, conn, rp))
                                {
                                        conn->status = CONNECTION_BAD;
                                        return 0;
***************
*** 1094,1100 ****
--- 1120,1135 ----
                 * Now try to advance the state machine.
                 */
                flag = PQconnectPoll(conn);
+
+                 if ((time_t)-1 == (finish_time = time(NULL)))
+                 {
+                         conn->status = CONNECTION_BAD;
+                         return 0;
+                 }
+               remains.tv_sec -= finish_time - start_time;
        }
+       conn->status = CONNECTION_BAD;
+       return 0;
  }

  /* ----------------
***************
*** 1929,1934 ****
--- 1964,1971 ----
                free(conn->pguser);
        if (conn->pgpass)
                free(conn->pgpass);
+       if (conn->connect_timeout)
+               free(conn->connect_timeout);
        /* Note that conn->Pfdebug is not ours to close or free */
        if (conn->notifyList)
                DLFreeList(conn->notifyList);
*** fe-misc.c.orig      Чт Авг  8 16:33:34 2002
--- fe-misc.c   Чт Авг  8 16:33:45 2002
***************
*** 748,753 ****
--- 748,759 ----
  int
  pqWait(int forRead, int forWrite, PGconn *conn)
  {
+       return pqWaitTimed( forRead, forWrite, conn, (struct timeval *) NULL);
+ }
+
+ int
+ pqWaitTimed(int forRead, int forWrite, PGconn *conn, struct timeval *timeout)
+ {
        fd_set          input_mask;
        fd_set          output_mask;
        fd_set          except_mask;
***************
*** 770,777 ****
                if (forWrite)
                        FD_SET(conn->sock, &output_mask);
                FD_SET(conn->sock, &except_mask);
!               if (select(conn->sock + 1, &input_mask, &output_mask, &except_mask,
!                                  (struct timeval *) NULL) < 0)
                {
                        if (SOCK_ERRNO == EINTR)
                                goto retry;
--- 776,783 ----
                if (forWrite)
                        FD_SET(conn->sock, &output_mask);
                FD_SET(conn->sock, &except_mask);
!               if (select(conn->sock + 1, &input_mask, &output_mask,
!                             &except_mask, timeout) < 0)
                {
                        if (SOCK_ERRNO == EINTR)
                                goto retry;
*** libpq-int.h.orig    Чт Авг  8 16:37:56 2002
--- libpq-int.h Чт Авг  8 16:37:37 2002
***************
*** 279,284 ****
--- 279,286 ----
        PQExpBufferData workBuffer; /* expansible string */

        int                     client_encoding;        /* encoding id */
+
+       char *connect_timeout;
  };

  /* String descriptions of the ExecStatusTypes.
***************
*** 324,329 ****
--- 326,332 ----
  extern int    pqReadData(PGconn *conn);
  extern int    pqFlush(PGconn *conn);
  extern int    pqWait(int forRead, int forWrite, PGconn *conn);
+ extern int    pqWaitTimed(int forRead, int forWrite, PGconn *conn, struct timeval* timeout);
  extern int    pqReadReady(PGconn *conn);
  extern int    pqWriteReady(PGconn *conn);

--
Regards
Denis

Re: connect_timeout parameter in libpq

Дата:
Denis A Ustimenko <denis@oldham.ru> writes:
> I need to change current connectDBComplete() behavior ( hang if
> backend are not responding). Here is the patch. Please apply.

Shouldn't such a patch include documentation updates?  (And not
only user-level documentation; this patch adds not even a single
comment to explain what it's doing or why.)

I'm also not thrilled with the way that the patch imposes the
overhead of calculating the timeout whether the user wants it or not.
The time() kernel calls should be skipped unless needed.

A final comment is that the patch's timeout accuracy is quite poor, since
time()'s result is quantized to seconds.  gettimeofday() might be a
better choice.  Also it seems to assume that select() does not modify its
timeout argument, which is not a portable assumption.  On some platforms
the timeout struct is decremented by the elapsed time.

            regards, tom lane

Re: connect_timeout parameter in libpq

От
Denis A Ustimenko
Дата:
New version of patch. Documentation updates, accurate remaining time calculation etc.

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 11:35:17PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Shouldn't such a patch include documentation updates?  (And not
> only user-level documentation; this patch adds not even a single
> comment to explain what it's doing or why.)
>
> I'm also not thrilled with the way that the patch imposes the
> overhead of calculating the timeout whether the user wants it or not.
> The time() kernel calls should be skipped unless needed.
>
> A final comment is that the patch's timeout accuracy is quite poor, since
> time()'s result is quantized to seconds.  gettimeofday() might be a
> better choice.  Also it seems to assume that select() does not modify its
> timeout argument, which is not a portable assumption.  On some platforms
> the timeout struct is decremented by the elapsed time.
>
>             regards, tom lane

*** postgresql-7.2.1/doc/src/sgml/libpq.sgml.orig       Вт Авг 13 12:34:51 2002
--- postgresql-7.2.1/doc/src/sgml/libpq.sgml    Вт Авг 13 14:18:15 2002
***************
*** 172,177 ****
--- 172,186 ----
      </varlistentry>

      <varlistentry>
+      <listitem>
+      <para>
+       Time space in seconds given to connect routine. Zero or not set means infinite.
+      </para>
+      </listitem>
+     </varlistentry>
+
+     <varlistentry>
       <listitem>
        <para>
*** postgresql-7.2.1/src/interfaces/libpq/fe-connect.c.orig     Чт Авг  8 12:22:46 2002
--- postgresql-7.2.1/src/interfaces/libpq/fe-connect.c  Вт Авг 13 15:50:43 2002
***************

*** 1050,1061 ****
  {
        PostgresPollingStatusType flag = PGRES_POLLING_WRITING;

        if (conn == NULL || conn->status == CONNECTION_BAD)
                return 0;

!       for (;;)
        {
                /*
                 * Wait, if necessary.  Note that the initial state (just after
                 * PQconnectStart) is to wait for the socket to select for
                 * writing.
--- 1055,1093 ----
  {
        PostgresPollingStatusType flag = PGRES_POLLING_WRITING;

+       struct timeval remains, *rp = NULL, finish_time, start_time;
+
        if (conn == NULL || conn->status == CONNECTION_BAD)
                return 0;

!       /*
!        * Prepare to time calculations, if connect_timeout isn't zero.
!        */
!       if (conn->connect_timeout != NULL)
        {
+               remains.tv_sec = atoi(conn->connect_timeout);
+               if (!remains.tv_sec)
+               {
+                       conn->status = CONNECTION_BAD;
+                       return 0;
+               }
+               remains.tv_usec = 0;
+               rp = &remains;
+       }
+
+
+       while (NULL == rp || remains.tv_sec > 0 || remains.tv_sec == 0 && remains.tv_usec > 0)
+       {
                /*
+                * If connecting timeout is set, get current time.
+                */
+               if ( NULL != rp && -1 == gettimeofday(&start_time, NULL))
+               {
+                       conn->status = CONNECTION_BAD;
+                       return 0;
+               }
+
+               /*
                 * Wait, if necessary.  Note that the initial state (just after
                 * PQconnectStart) is to wait for the socket to select for
                 * writing.
***************
*** 1069,1075 ****
                                return 1;               /* success! */

                        case PGRES_POLLING_READING:
!                               if (pqWait(1, 0, conn))
                                {
                                        conn->status = CONNECTION_BAD;
                                        return 0;
--- 1101,1107 ----
                                return 1;               /* success! */

                        case PGRES_POLLING_READING:
!                               if (pqWaitTimed(1, 0, conn, rp))
                                {
                                        conn->status = CONNECTION_BAD;
                                        return 0;
***************
*** 1077,1083 ****
                                break;

                        case PGRES_POLLING_WRITING:
!                               if (pqWait(0, 1, conn))
                                {
                                        conn->status = CONNECTION_BAD;
                                        return 0;
--- 1109,1115 ----
                                break;

                        case PGRES_POLLING_WRITING:
!                               if (pqWaitTimed(0, 1, conn, rp))
                                {
                                        conn->status = CONNECTION_BAD;
                                        return 0;
***************
*** 1094,1100 ****
--- 1126,1156 ----
                 * Now try to advance the state machine.
                 */
                flag = PQconnectPoll(conn);
+
+               /*
+                * If connecting timeout is set, calculate remain time.
+                */
+               if (NULL != rp) {
+                       if (-1 == gettimeofday(&finish_time, NULL))
+                       {
+                               conn->status = CONNECTION_BAD;
+                               return 0;
+                       }
+                       if (0 > (finish_time.tv_usec -= start_time.tv_usec))
+                       {
+                               remains.tv_sec++;
+                               finish_time.tv_usec += 1000000;
+                       }
+                       if (0 > (remains.tv_usec -= finish_time.tv_usec))
+                       {
+                               remains.tv_sec--;
+                               remains.tv_usec += 1000000;
+                       }
+                       remains.tv_sec -= finish_time.tv_sec - start_time.tv_sec;
+               }
        }
+       conn->status = CONNECTION_BAD;
+       return 0;
  }

  /* ----------------
***************
*** 1929,1934 ****
--- 1985,1992 ----
                free(conn->pguser);
        if (conn->pgpass)
                free(conn->pgpass);
+       if (conn->connect_timeout)
+               free(conn->connect_timeout);
        /* Note that conn->Pfdebug is not ours to close or free */
        if (conn->notifyList)
                DLFreeList(conn->notifyList);
*** postgresql-7.2.1/src/interfaces/libpq/fe-misc.c.orig        Чт Авг  8 16:33:34 2002
--- postgresql-7.2.1/src/interfaces/libpq/fe-misc.c     Вт Авг 13 16:16:57 2002
***************
*** 748,757 ****
--- 748,766 ----
  int
  pqWait(int forRead, int forWrite, PGconn *conn)
  {
+       return pqWaitTimed( forRead, forWrite, conn, (const struct timeval *) NULL);
+ }
+
+ int
+ pqWaitTimed(int forRead, int forWrite, PGconn *conn, const struct timeval *timeout)
+ {
        fd_set          input_mask;
        fd_set          output_mask;
        fd_set          except_mask;

+       struct timeval  tmp_timeout;
+       struct timeval  *ptmp_timeout = NULL;
+
        if (conn->sock < 0)
        {
                printfPQExpBuffer(&conn->errorMessage,
***************
*** 770,778 ****
                if (forWrite)
                        FD_SET(conn->sock, &output_mask);
                FD_SET(conn->sock, &except_mask);
!               if (select(conn->sock + 1, &input_mask, &output_mask, &except_mask,
!                                  (struct timeval *) NULL) < 0)
                {
                        if (SOCK_ERRNO == EINTR)
                                goto retry;
                        printfPQExpBuffer(&conn->errorMessage,
--- 779,796 ----
                if (forWrite)
                        FD_SET(conn->sock, &output_mask);
                FD_SET(conn->sock, &except_mask);
!
!               if (NULL != timeout)
                {
+               /*
+                * select may modify timeout argument on some platforms use copy
+                */
+                       tmp_timeout = *timeout;
+                       ptmp_timeout = &tmp_timeout;
+               }
+               if (select(conn->sock + 1, &input_mask, &output_mask,
+                             &except_mask, ptmp_timeout) < 0)
+               {
                        if (SOCK_ERRNO == EINTR)
                                goto retry;
                        printfPQExpBuffer(&conn->errorMessage,
*** postgresql-7.2.1/src/interfaces/libpq/libpq-int.h.orig      Чт Авг  8 16:37:56 2002
--- postgresql-7.2.1/src/interfaces/libpq/libpq-int.h   Вт Авг 13 14:37:54 2002
***************
*** 279,284 ****
--- 279,286 ----
        PQExpBufferData workBuffer; /* expansible string */

        int                     client_encoding;        /* encoding id */
+
+       char *connect_timeout;
  };

  /* String descriptions of the ExecStatusTypes.
***************
*** 324,329 ****
--- 326,332 ----
  extern int    pqReadData(PGconn *conn);
  extern int    pqFlush(PGconn *conn);
  extern int    pqWait(int forRead, int forWrite, PGconn *conn);
+ extern int    pqWaitTimed(int forRead, int forWrite, PGconn *conn, const struct timeval* timeout);
  extern int    pqReadReady(PGconn *conn);
  extern int    pqWriteReady(PGconn *conn);

--
Regards
Denis

Re: connect_timeout parameter in libpq

От
Denis A Ustimenko
Дата:
Hi, there!

I have posted patch two days ago. It has accurate timeout
calculation, use gettimeofday(), includes documentation and so on
accordind Tom's demand. Unfortunately I have recieved no comments.
Why?

Regards
Denis

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> Denis A Ustimenko <denis@oldham.ru> writes:
> > I need to change current connectDBComplete() behavior ( hang if
> > backend are not responding). Here is the patch. Please apply.
>
> Shouldn't such a patch include documentation updates?  (And not
> only user-level documentation; this patch adds not even a single
> comment to explain what it's doing or why.)
>
> I'm also not thrilled with the way that the patch imposes the
> overhead of calculating the timeout whether the user wants it or not.
> The time() kernel calls should be skipped unless needed.
>
> A final comment is that the patch's timeout accuracy is quite poor, since
> time()'s result is quantized to seconds.  gettimeofday() might be a
> better choice.  Also it seems to assume that select() does not modify its
> timeout argument, which is not a portable assumption.  On some platforms
> the timeout struct is decremented by the elapsed time.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Re: connect_timeout parameter in libpq

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Uh, I wait a day or two to see if anyone comments, then I add it to the
patch queue. I will do that now.

Denis A Ustimenko wrote:
> Hi, there!
>
> I have posted patch two days ago. It has accurate timeout
> calculation, use gettimeofday(), includes documentation and so on
> accordind Tom's demand. Unfortunately I have recieved no comments.
> Why?
>
> Regards
> Denis
>
> On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > Denis A Ustimenko <denis@oldham.ru> writes:
> > > I need to change current connectDBComplete() behavior ( hang if
> > > backend are not responding). Here is the patch. Please apply.
> >
> > Shouldn't such a patch include documentation updates?  (And not
> > only user-level documentation; this patch adds not even a single
> > comment to explain what it's doing or why.)
> >
> > I'm also not thrilled with the way that the patch imposes the
> > overhead of calculating the timeout whether the user wants it or not.
> > The time() kernel calls should be skipped unless needed.
> >
> > A final comment is that the patch's timeout accuracy is quite poor, since
> > time()'s result is quantized to seconds.  gettimeofday() might be a
> > better choice.  Also it seems to assume that select() does not modify its
> > timeout argument, which is not a portable assumption.  On some platforms
> > the timeout struct is decremented by the elapsed time.
> >
> >             regards, tom lane

Re: connect_timeout parameter in libpq

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:

Denis A Ustimenko wrote:
> [...]
> + }
> +
> + int
> + pqWaitTimed(int forRead, int forWrite, PGconn *conn, const struct timeval *timeout)
> + {
>         fd_set          input_mask;
>         fd_set          output_mask;
>         fd_set          except_mask;
>
> +       struct timeval  tmp_timeout;
> +       struct timeval  *ptmp_timeout = NULL;
> +
>         if (conn->sock < 0)
>         {
>                 printfPQExpBuffer(&conn->errorMessage,
> ***************
> *** 770,778 ****
>                 if (forWrite)
>                         FD_SET(conn->sock, &output_mask);
>                 FD_SET(conn->sock, &except_mask);
> !               if (select(conn->sock + 1, &input_mask, &output_mask, &except_mask,
> !                                  (struct timeval *) NULL) < 0)
>                 {
>                         if (SOCK_ERRNO == EINTR)
>                                 goto retry;
>                         printfPQExpBuffer(&conn->errorMessage,
> --- 779,796 ----
>                 if (forWrite)
>                         FD_SET(conn->sock, &output_mask);
>                 FD_SET(conn->sock, &except_mask);
> !
> !               if (NULL != timeout)
>                 {
> +               /*
> +                * select may modify timeout argument on some platforms use copy
> +                */
> +                       tmp_timeout = *timeout;
> +                       ptmp_timeout = &tmp_timeout;
> +               }
> +               if (select(conn->sock + 1, &input_mask, &output_mask,
> +                             &except_mask, ptmp_timeout) < 0)
> +               {
>                         if (SOCK_ERRNO == EINTR)
>                                 goto retry;
>                         printfPQExpBuffer(&conn->errorMessage,
> *** postgresql-7.2.1/src/interfaces/libpq/libpq-int.h.orig      ?? ???  8 16:37:56 2002
> --- postgresql-7.2.1/src/interfaces/libpq/libpq-int.h   ?? ??? 13 14:37:54 2002
> ***************
> *** 279,284 ****
> --- 279,286 ----
>         PQExpBufferData workBuffer; /* expansible string */
>
>         int                     client_encoding;        /* encoding id */
> +
> +       char *connect_timeout;
>   };
>
>   /* String descriptions of the ExecStatusTypes.
> ***************
> *** 324,329 ****
> --- 326,332 ----
>   extern int    pqReadData(PGconn *conn);
>   extern int    pqFlush(PGconn *conn);
>   extern int    pqWait(int forRead, int forWrite, PGconn *conn);
> + extern int    pqWaitTimed(int forRead, int forWrite, PGconn *conn, const struct timeval* timeout);
>   extern int    pqReadReady(PGconn *conn);
>   extern int    pqWriteReady(PGconn *conn);

Дата:
Do people think this is of general enough interest to be added to libpq?

Denis A Ustimenko wrote:
> [...]
> ***************
> *** 279,284 ****
> --- 279,286 ----
>         PQExpBufferData workBuffer; /* expansible string */
>
>         int                     client_encoding;        /* encoding id */
> +
> +       char *connect_timeout;
>   };
>
>   /* String descriptions of the ExecStatusTypes.
> ***************
> *** 324,329 ****
> --- 326,332 ----
>   extern int    pqReadData(PGconn *conn);
>   extern int    pqFlush(PGconn *conn);
>   extern int    pqWait(int forRead, int forWrite, PGconn *conn);
> + extern int    pqWaitTimed(int forRead, int forWrite, PGconn *conn, const struct timeval* timeout);
>   extern int    pqReadReady(PGconn *conn);
>   extern int    pqWriteReady(PGconn *conn);

Дата:
> Do people think this is of general enough interest to be added to libpq?

I had objections to that version, but didn't Denis submit a newer one?

The feature per se seems reasonable enough.

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Do people think this is of general enough interest to be added to libpq?
>
> I had objections to that version, but didn't Denis submit a newer one?

I have his new version in the patches archive:

    New version of patch. Documentation updates, accurate remaining time
    calculation etc.

    On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 11:35:17PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
    > Shouldn't such a patch include documentation updates?  (And not
    > only user-level documentation; this patch adds not even a single
    > comment to explain what it's doing or why.)

> The feature per se seems reasonable enough.

OK.  That's what I needed to know.

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Do people think this is of general enough interest to be added to libpq?
>
> I had objections to that version, but didn't Denis submit a newer one?

Sorry, I did quote the original patch because that was the one with the
description.  The new patch is in the patches queue.

Re: connect_timeout parameter in libpq

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата: