Обсуждение: Determing Postgres version

Determing Postgres version

От
"Gary Hoffman"
Дата:
For an off-campus project, my web hosting ISP has the PostgreSQL
postmaster running on a host separate from where my web pages are hosted.
My queries work OK, but I can't get LIMIT to work. I suspect he hasn't
upgraded to version 7 yet. How can I query for a version? I can't use
pg_config --version because it's not on my local host and anyway it
wouldn't find the postmaster on this host.

Can I use a SQL query to determine the version of the postmaster?

Thanks in advance.
Gary

* Gary B. Hoffman, Computing Services Manager  e-mail: ghoffman@ucsd.edu *
* Graduate School of International Relations and Pacific Studies (IR/PS) *
* University of California, San Diego (UCSD)       voice: (858) 534-1989 *
* 9500 Gilman Dr. MC 0519                            fax: (858) 534-3939 *
* La Jolla, CA 92093-0519 USA             web: http://www-irps.ucsd.edu/ *

Re: Determing Postgres version

От
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Try:

select version();

Chirs

Дата:
Well, I thought of that.

Here's what I get:
ERROR:  function version() does not exist

Any other ideas, short of actually asking the ISP help desk?

Gary

chriskl@familyhealth.com.au writes:
>Try:
>
>select version();
>
>Chirs

Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Gary Hoffman wrote:

> Well, I thought of that.
>
> Here's what I get:
> ERROR:  function version() does not exist
>
> Any other ideas, short of actually asking the ISP help desk?

I just did it and it worked fine:

        $query = "select version()";

        $res = pg_exec($conn,$query);
        if(!$res) {
                die("not found");
        }

        if(($x = pg_numrows($res)) < 1) {
                echo("not found in database\n");
                exit;
        }

        $row = pg_fetch_row($res,$ii);
        echo("version: $row[0]");

and it gives:

version: PostgreSQL 7.1.2 on i386-unknown-freebsd4.2, compiled by GCC 2.95.2

Maybe it's really old?

Vince.

Re: Determing Postgres version

От
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"

Not really - bit before my time!

Another thought - if the old version of postgres doesn't support LIMIT, does
it support CURSORs?  If it does, you can simulate LIMIT by going:

BEGIN;
DECLARE mycursor CURSOR
    FOR SELECT * FROM table;
FETCH FORWARD limit_no IN mycursor;