Обсуждение: postgres/php and windows

postgres/php and windows

От
Dave Wayne
Дата:
Does anyone know if there is a good guide for setting up php to connect to postgres under windows? I've set up postgres, however the PConnect function fails for some reason.

Any help would be appriecated

Re: postgres/php and windows

От
Michael Glaesemann
Дата:
On Nov 21, 2005, at 7:04 , Dave Wayne wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is a good guide for setting up php to
> connect to postgres under windows? I've set up postgres, however
> the PConnect function fails for some reason.

What's the reason? What error message are you getting? One thing to
check is to make sure PHP was compiled with pgsql support. Provide
more details and hopefully someone will be able to provide better help.

Good luck!

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

Re: postgres/php and windows

От
John DeSoi
Дата:
On Nov 20, 2005, at 5:04 PM, Dave Wayne wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is a good guide for setting up php to
> connect to postgres under windows? I've set up postgres, however
> the PConnect function fails for some reason.

Did you enable the pgsql dll in the php.ini file? The semicolon needs
to be removed.

;extension=php_pgsql.dll

If that does not solve it, give more specifics about the error.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL

Unwanted persisting connections

От
"Gary Hoffman"
Дата:
I've run PHP and PostgreSQL for quite a while and never seen this problem
before. I think it's new, but maybe I never paid attention to it before.

I am frequently running out of connections to the database. Here's a
snippet of my ps -ax

 1882  ??  S      0:00.07 postgres: postgres cgssd_members [local] idle

 1883  ??  S      0:00.09 postgres: postgres cgssd_members [local] idle

 1884  ??  S      0:00.07 postgres: postgres cgssd_members [local] idle

 1886  ??  S      0:00.14 postgres: postgres cgssd_members [local] idle

 1887  ??  S      0:00.06 postgres: postgres cgssd_members [local] idle

  500 std- S      0:01.14 /usr/local/bin/postmaster -D
/usr/local/pgsql/data
  501 std- S      0:00.02 postgres: stats buffer process

  502 std- S      0:00.21 postgres: stats collector process

As you can see, there are some idle connections that have come in from PHP
on my web pages. I've never seen these before and eventually they build up
and I get an error connecting from the PHP page to the database.

I'm running Apache 1.3.33 on Darwin Kernal 7.9.0 (MacOS X 10.3.9) with PHP
4.3.6 and PostgreSQL 7.4.2.

Ideas and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Gary

* Gary B. Hoffman, Computing Services Manager  e-mail: ghoffman@ucsd.edu *
* Graduate School of International Relations and Pacific Studies (IR/PS) *
* University of California, San Diego (UCSD)       voice: (858) 534-1989 *
* 9500 Gilman Dr.  MC 0519                           fax: (858) 534-3939 *
* La Jolla, CA 92093-0519 USA                 web: http://irps.ucsd.edu/ *

Re: Unwanted persisting connections

От
Andrew McMillan
Дата:
On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 20:06 -0800, Gary Hoffman wrote:
> I've run PHP and PostgreSQL for quite a while and never seen this problem
> before. I think it's new, but maybe I never paid attention to it before.
>
> I am frequently running out of connections to the database. Here's a
> snippet of my ps -ax
>
>  1882  ??  S      0:00.07 postgres: postgres cgssd_members [local] idle
>
>  1883  ??  S      0:00.09 postgres: postgres cgssd_members [local] idle
>
>  1884  ??  S      0:00.07 postgres: postgres cgssd_members [local] idle
>
>  1886  ??  S      0:00.14 postgres: postgres cgssd_members [local] idle
>
>  1887  ??  S      0:00.06 postgres: postgres cgssd_members [local] idle
>
>   500 std- S      0:01.14 /usr/local/bin/postmaster -D
> /usr/local/pgsql/data
>   501 std- S      0:00.02 postgres: stats buffer process
>
>   502 std- S      0:00.21 postgres: stats collector process
>

> As you can see, there are some idle connections that have come in from PHP
> on my web pages. I've never seen these before and eventually they build up
> and I get an error connecting from the PHP page to the database.
>
> I'm running Apache 1.3.33 on Darwin Kernal 7.9.0 (MacOS X 10.3.9) with PHP
> 4.3.6 and PostgreSQL 7.4.2.

You will have as many of these as you have apache processes.  That's
what persistent connections means!

If you have MaxClients set to (e.g.) 150 in your Apache configuration,
and you actually get to something like that, then the default PostgreSQL
configuration of 100 clients simply won't be enough.  You should
increase it to at leas 20-50 more than the MaxClients setting that
Apache has.

You'll be pleased to know that each extra PostgreSQL connection
typically uses less than each additional Apache connection (especially
when you're running PHP et al.) so if you find yourself running out of
RAM you will need to lower the MaxClients setting first.

Regards,
                    Andrew McMillan.

Andrew @ Catalyst .Net .NZ  Ltd,  PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/            PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)803-2201      MOB: +64(272)DEBIAN      OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
     You will be a winner today.  Pick a fight with a four-year-old.

Re: postgres/php and windows

От
CGMoller@StateStreet.com

In addition to error messages, what is your setup?  What versions of PHP,
Postgres and Web (Apache?) are you using?  The configurations are different
depending upon what you have installed.
Also you should check the PHP manual:
http://us3.php.net/manual/en/function.pg-connect.php.

Cameron G. Moller

             Michael
             Glaesemann
             <grzm@myrealbox.c                                          To
             om>                       Dave Wayne <davewayne@shaw.ca>
             pgsql-php-owner@p         pgsql-php@postgresql.org
             ostgresql.org                                         Subject
                                       Re: [PHP] postgres/php and windows

             11/20/2005 06:25
             PM

On Nov 21, 2005, at 7:04 , Dave Wayne wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is a good guide for setting up php to
> connect to postgres under windows? I've set up postgres, however
> the PConnect function fails for some reason.

What's the reason? What error message are you getting? One thing to
check is to make sure PHP was compiled with pgsql support. Provide
more details and hopefully someone will be able to provide better help.

Good luck!

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

               http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: postgres/php and windows

От
manjusri schuit
Дата:
Hello
First you will need to know wheter php is been setup corectly.

Paste this

<?php
phpinfo()
?>

into a textfile or you're favorite editor and save it as phpinfo.php or so in you're webroot (mydrive\Apache Group\ApacheX\htdocs)

then goto http://localhost/phpinfo.php

1) Configurationfile (php.ini) Path must piont to the place wher you stored you're php ini.
2) if you scroll down a bit you will find a block with "pgpsql"  witchs means that you have postgres support enabled in php.
If not found that means you're php ini is not setup correctly
check www.php.net for more info on how to setup php.ini.

--
Met vriendelijke groet
Manjusri Schuit

On 11/20/05, Dave Wayne <davewayne@shaw.ca> wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a good guide for setting up php to connect to postgres under windows? I've set up postgres, however the PConnect function fails for some reason.

Any help would be appriecated

Re: postgres/php and windows

От
Дата:
--- Dave Wayne <davewayne@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is a good guide for
> setting up php to connect to postgres under windows?
> I've set up postgres, however the PConnect function
> fails for some reason.
>
> Any help would be appriecated

Dave, I have developed detailed instructions to
install Apache, with PHP CGI support, and Postgresql
8.0.

I will put them online and post a link later today.

OE1

__________________________________
http://farechase.yahoo.com

Re: Unwanted persisting connections

От
Philip Hallstrom
Дата:
On Mon, 21 Nov 2005, Andrew McMillan wrote:

> On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 20:06 -0800, Gary Hoffman wrote:
>> I've run PHP and PostgreSQL for quite a while and never seen this problem
>> before. I think it's new, but maybe I never paid attention to it before.
>>
>> I am frequently running out of connections to the database. Here's a
>> snippet of my ps -ax
>>
>>  1882  ??  S      0:00.07 postgres: postgres cgssd_members [local] idle
>>
>>  1883  ??  S      0:00.09 postgres: postgres cgssd_members [local] idle
>>
>>  1884  ??  S      0:00.07 postgres: postgres cgssd_members [local] idle
>>
>>  1886  ??  S      0:00.14 postgres: postgres cgssd_members [local] idle
>>
>>  1887  ??  S      0:00.06 postgres: postgres cgssd_members [local] idle
>>
>>   500 std- S      0:01.14 /usr/local/bin/postmaster -D
>> /usr/local/pgsql/data
>>   501 std- S      0:00.02 postgres: stats buffer process
>>
>>   502 std- S      0:00.21 postgres: stats collector process
>>

>> As you can see, there are some idle connections that have come in from PHP
>> on my web pages. I've never seen these before and eventually they build up
>> and I get an error connecting from the PHP page to the database.
>>
>> I'm running Apache 1.3.33 on Darwin Kernal 7.9.0 (MacOS X 10.3.9) with PHP
>> 4.3.6 and PostgreSQL 7.4.2.
>
> You will have as many of these as you have apache processes.  That's
> what persistent connections means!

You can end up with a *lot* more than apache's MaxClients if you open
persistent connections with different connection paramaters... so keep
that in mind if you're connecting to more than one database.

You might look at pgpool. Never used it, but it comes up frequently as a
solution to this...

> If you have MaxClients set to (e.g.) 150 in your Apache configuration,
> and you actually get to something like that, then the default PostgreSQL
> configuration of 100 clients simply won't be enough.  You should
> increase it to at leas 20-50 more than the MaxClients setting that
> Apache has.
>
> You'll be pleased to know that each extra PostgreSQL connection
> typically uses less than each additional Apache connection (especially
> when you're running PHP et al.) so if you find yourself running out of
> RAM you will need to lower the MaxClients setting first.
>
> Regards,
>                     Andrew McMillan.

> Andrew @ Catalyst .Net .NZ  Ltd,  PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
> WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/            PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
> DDI: +64(4)803-2201      MOB: +64(272)DEBIAN      OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
>     You will be a winner today.  Pick a fight with a four-year-old.

Re: postgres/php and windows

От
Дата:
--- Dave Wayne <davewayne@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is a good guide for
> setting up php to connect to postgres under windows?
> I've set up postgres, however the PConnect function
> fails for some reason.
>
> Any help would be appriecated

Dave,

Check out this link...

http://www.geocities.com/operationsengineer1/

for my attempt to create a tutorial to isntall
Apache2, PHP5 and PGSQL8 on WinXP.

the links are for pdf files and they are about a meg
each.  the webhost only allows a limited amount of
transfer bandwidth, so be sure to return if the limit
is exceeded.

I would also suggest that others not check the links
unless they are actively trying this install - at
least until Dave is able to download the files.

I will get the instructions up via a web page, but it
proved to be difficult using geocities.

Do fweel free to offer suggestions and point out
errors of any kind.

Good luck,

OE1

http://farechase.yahoo.com