Обсуждение: Centos 5 postgis2_92 packages

Centos 5 postgis2_92 packages

От
Michael Harris
Дата:
Hi Packagers,

First up - many thanks for the fantastic job you're doing in providing the community with these packages!

We have some databases on Centos 5 / Postgresql 9.2, which we want to install postgis on. We aren't able to upgrade to
9.3just now.

The most recent version of postgis2_92 for Centos 5 seems to be 2.0.6. This RPM does not appear to be usable for us -
forone thing is seems to be missing the extension control files.

There are more recent versions for Centos 5 / Postgres 9.3 (2.1.7) or Centos 6 / Postgres 9.2 (2.1.4).

Was there some particular reason for this (ie. missing libraries, library version conflicts, etc)? Or is it just a case
ofthat combination being considered too old to support?

Thanks in advance,
Mike Harris

Re: Centos 5 postgis2_92 packages

От
Devrim Gündüz
Дата:
Hi,

On Thu, 2014-10-16 at 07:10 +0000, Michael Harris wrote:

> First up - many thanks for the fantastic job you're doing in providing the community with these packages!

You are welcome!

> We have some databases on Centos 5 / Postgresql 9.2, which we want to install postgis on. We aren't able to upgrade
to9.3 just now.

> The most recent version of postgis2_92 for Centos 5 seems to be 2.0.6. This RPM does not appear to be usable for us -
forone thing is seems to be missing the extension control files.

> There are more recent versions for Centos 5 / Postgres 9.3 (2.1.7) or Centos 6 / Postgres 9.2 (2.1.4).
>
> Was there some particular reason for this (ie. missing libraries, library version conflicts, etc)? Or is it just a
caseof that combination being considered too old to support?

We cannot push 2.1 to 9.2 without changing the name of the packaging. If
we just update to 2.1 on 9.2, then 2.0 users will be unhappy. Instead,
we can bite the bullet and create something like

postgis_20_92 (for 2.0)
postgis_21_92 (for 2.1)

so that they can be installed in parallel. Jeff/Craig, comments?

Regards,
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: Centos 5 postgis2_92 packages

От
Jeff Frost

On Oct 16, 2014, at 12:14 AM, Devrim Gündüz <devrim@gunduz.org> wrote:

We cannot push 2.1 to 9.2 without changing the name of the packaging. If
we just update to 2.1 on 9.2, then 2.0 users will be unhappy. Instead,
we can bite the bullet and create something like

postgis_20_92 (for 2.0)
postgis_21_92 (for 2.1)

so that they can be installed in parallel. Jeff/Craig, comments?

The naming seems fine to me and then we can have the new package name deprecate the old one.
Вложения

Re: Centos 5 postgis2_92 packages

От
Craig Ringer
Дата:

Re: Centos 5 postgis2_92 packages

От
Michael Harris
Дата:
>> Seems sensible; just Obsoletes: and Provides: it.
>>
>> I question how much effort should be spent on supporting such an extremely obsolete platform though.

Hi Craig

Which part of the platform are you referring to there? I presume you don't mean the PG 9.2. Centos5 is not EOL until
2017.Or are you talking about the requirement to keep Postgis 2.0 users happy?

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Centos 5 postgis2_92 packages

От
Craig Ringer
Дата:
On 10/20/2014 07:30 AM, Michael Harris wrote:
> Which part of the platform are you referring to there? I presume you don't mean the PG 9.2. Centos5 is not EOL until
2017.Or are you talking about the requirement to keep Postgis 2.0 users happy?

I was thinking of CentOS 5 in particular, but you're quite right -
looking at https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata, RH
describe RHEL 5 as actively supported at "production 3" (i.e. security
and critical fixes) level until early 2017.

That doesn't mean the PGDG has to provide community support for
PostgreSQL on the platform of course, but it makes more sense to do so
than if there was no ongoing support from Red Hat.

Re: Centos 5 postgis2_92 packages

От
Devrim Gündüz
Дата:
Hi,

On Sun, 2014-10-19 at 00:59 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> Seems sensible; just Obsoletes: and Provides:

I gave a quick look at this last week. It will not be that easy as I
thought before. We *may* need some help from upstream. Let me see what I
can do.

Regards,

--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: Centos 5 postgis2_92 packages

От
Michael Harris
Дата:
Hi Devrim,

Did you manage to get any further with this?

If not, is there anything we could do to help with it?

If the problem is with changing the name of the existing package, perhaps one solution might be to leave that alone for
Centos5, and just introduce a new package postgis_21_92 for the 2.1/9.2 combination.

Thanks
Regards // Mike

On Sun, 2014-10-19 at 00:59 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> Seems sensible; just Obsoletes: and Provides:

I gave a quick look at this last week. It will not be that easy as I thought before. We *may* need some help from
upstream.Let me see what I can do.

Regards,

--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ