Обсуждение: Postgres 7.0.2 compile failed on OpenBSD 2.7

Postgres 7.0.2 compile failed on OpenBSD 2.7

От
Kevin Worcester
Дата:
I attempted to compile Postgres 7.0.2 on a computer
with OpenBSD 2.7 (Pentium 233 MHz, 32MB RAM).

The compile failed twice, both times on preproc.c, and
both times the computer completely locked up and
required a hard reset.  No errors, no hard disk
thrashing, just a dead OpenBSD box. I'm curious if anyone
else has had a similar experience, or has a possible
fix.

I will only be using Postgres from perl (DBI) and
the command line utilities.  Will I need the
src/interfaces/ecpg branch of the source?

I'm hesitant to attempt another compile of any version
because this isn't my computer and I've already
crashed it twice.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

- Kevin Worcester
  kworces@surveyor.com
  kworces@earthlink.net

--
Kevin Worcester
Software Engineer

Re: Postgres 7.0.2 compile failed on OpenBSD 2.7

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
sounds like a purely hardware issue ... my first thought would be are the
hard drive(s) lights on solid?

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: Postgres 7.0.2 compile failed on OpenBSD 2.7

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm guessing that you are running out of memory and swap space on the
compilation, but I don't know for sure. Or possibly you have some bad
memory. You shouldn't otherwise be able to crash your machine from a
user process.

Anyway, you might try shutting down X11 (if you are running it), and in
general try to strip the machine bare before doing the compilation. You
might look for a package (port?) to install instead.

                    - Thomas