Обсуждение: what is "cost"?

what is "cost"?

От
Gregory Holston
Дата:
Hi All,

I just did an explain and was wondering what is meant by cost.  I just
got a 72.983 cost from a query I found not working.  Any info or pointers
would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Greg

Running:Apache/1.3.1 (Unix) PHP/3.0.3 Postgres 6.2

Re: [SQL] what is "cost"?

От
Bruce Momjian

> Hi All,
>
> I just did an explain and was wondering what is meant by cost.  I just
> got a 72.983 cost from a query I found not working.  Any info or pointers
> would be appreciated.

Just added to explain manual page:
The cost value is only meaningful to the optimizer in comparing variousquery plans.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [SQL] what is "cost"?

От
Gregory Holston

On Fri, 23 Apr 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Hi All,
> >
> > I just did an explain and was wondering what is meant by cost.  I just
> > got a 72.983 cost from a query I found not working.  Any info or pointers
> > would be appreciated.
>
> Just added to explain manual page:
>
>     The cost value is only meaningful to the optimizer in comparing various
>     query plans.

I got the 72.98 on this table while doing a simple "select * from
publication" meanwhile I got nothing higher than 4 on any other table. Is this
indicative of a problem?

-Greg

Re: [SQL] what is "cost"?

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> >     The cost value is only meaningful to the optimizer in comparing various
> >     query plans.
> >
> I got the 72.98 on this table while doing a simple "select * from
> publication" meanwhile I got nothing higher than 4 on any other table. Is this
> indicative of a problem?

No.  It means the optimizer thinks it is going to have to do more work
to complete the query.  All other methods it used to complete the query
had a higher cost.  It is related to the number of rows in the table,
the indexes available, sorts needed, joins, etc.

Pennsylvania19026