Обсуждение: Don't need transaction integrity - can I turn it off

Don't need transaction integrity - can I turn it off

От
"Hamid Khoshnevis"
Дата:
My application requires very fast update/insert- where I am told mySQL
shines.  Can I turn off commit/rollback in Postgres so as to dramatically
speed up insert/updates.  I understand and accept the cost of dropping some
insert/updates.

hamid

Re: [SQL] Don't need transaction integrity - can I turn it off

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> My application requires very fast update/insert- where I am told mySQL
> shines.  Can I turn off commit/rollback in Postgres so as to dramatically
> speed up insert/updates.  I understand and accept the cost of dropping some
> insert/updates.

Yes, we have no-fsync option.  See FAQ.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [SQL] Don't need transaction integrity - can I turn it off

От
"Oliver Elphick"
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote: >[Charset iso-8859-1 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...] >> My application requires very fast
update/insert-where I am told mySQL >> shines.  Can I turn off commit/rollback in Postgres so as to dramatically >>
speedup insert/updates.  I understand and accept the cost of dropping som     >e >> insert/updates. > >Yes, we have
no-fsyncoption.  See FAQ.

But that has to do with not forcing a sync to disk after every write.
I've never heard of an ability to disable transactions; isn't every
operation outside an explicitly-declared transaction made a single
separate transaction by default?

--      Vote against SPAM: http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/                ========================================
Isle of Wight                              http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver              PGP key from public servers; key
ID32B8FAA1                ========================================    "But the end of all things is at hand; be ye
therefore     sober, and watch unto prayer. And above all things      have fervent love among yourselves; for love
shall      cover the multitude of sins."      I Peter 4:7,8

Re: [SQL] Don't need transaction integrity - can I turn it off

Дата:
"Oliver Elphick" <olly@lfix.co.uk> writes:
>> Yes, we have no-fsync option.  See FAQ.
> But that has to do with not forcing a sync to disk after every write.
> I've never heard of an ability to disable transactions; isn't every
> operation outside an explicitly-declared transaction made a single
> separate transaction by default?

It is, and I don't think there's any possibility of turning that off.
It's too tightly integrated with the cross-backend interlocking.
If you don't want transactions, and you don't want multiple backends,
maybe mySQL is what you need ;-)

BTW, if you're not too concerned about parallelism, one way to squeeze
a little more speed is to use explicit transactions *more*, not less.
The more stuff you get done between BEGIN and COMMIT, the less the
transaction overhead per useful operation...
        regards, tom lane

Re: [SQL] Don't need transaction integrity - can I turn it off

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>   >[Charset iso-8859-1 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
>   >> My application requires very fast update/insert- where I am told mySQL
>   >> shines.  Can I turn off commit/rollback in Postgres so as to dramatically
>   >> speed up insert/updates.  I understand and accept the cost of dropping som
>       >e
>   >> insert/updates.
>   >
>   >Yes, we have no-fsync option.  See FAQ.
>
> But that has to do with not forcing a sync to disk after every write.
> I've never heard of an ability to disable transactions; isn't every
> operation outside an explicitly-declared transaction made a single
> separate transaction by default?

Yes, you are right.  No way to disable transactions.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [SQL] Don't need transaction integrity - can I turn it off

От
Michael Richards
Дата:
On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, Hamid Khoshnevis wrote:

> My application requires very fast update/insert- where I am told mySQL
> shines.  Can I turn off commit/rollback in Postgres so as to dramatically
> speed up insert/updates.  I understand and accept the cost of dropping some
> insert/updates.

Personally, I'd set it all up and give it a whirl first. Often I've found
that these things work better than I expected and don't need to be fiddled
with to get expected speeds.

-Michael