Обсуждение: indexes and keys

indexes and keys

От
Andrew Perrin - Demography
Дата:
Greetings - I hope this is a simple question.

Is there any reason to create an index on a column that already has one
created as part of a SERIAL datatype?  That is, I used:

CREATE TABLE personal_data (id serial ...);

to create it, so \d shows:
| postgres         | personal_data                    | table    || postgres         | personal_data
|table    || postgres         | personal_data_id_key             | index    || postgres         | personal_data_id_seq
          | sequence |

is there any reason to create another index on id:

CREATE INDEX pd_id_idx on personal_data;

or will the automatically created one be sufficient?

Thanks.

Andrew J. Perrin - aperrin@demog.berkeley.edu - NT/Unix Admin/Support
Department of Demography    -    University of California at Berkeley
2232 Piedmont Avenue #2120  -    Berkeley, California, 94720-2120 USA
http://demog.berkeley.edu/~aperrin --------------------------SEIU1199

Re: indexes and keys

Дата:
Andrew Perrin - Demography <aperrin@demog.berkeley.edu> writes:
> Is there any reason to create an index on a column that already has one
> created as part of a SERIAL datatype?  That is, I used:
> CREATE TABLE personal_data (id serial ...);
> is there any reason to create another index on id:
> CREATE INDEX pd_id_idx on personal_data;
> or will the automatically created one be sufficient?

Waste of space and cycles ... it should work, as far as I know,
but there's no possible value in it.

Offhand, the only reason I can see for having multiple indexes
on a column is if some are functional indexes.  For example,
given the right query mix it could make sense to have both a
plain index on a text column t1, and an index on lower(t1).
But each index costs you space and update time, so you want to
be pretty sure that all of them are earning their keep.
        regards, tom lane

Re: indexes and keys

От
Ryan Bradetich
Дата:
Andrew,

The one created should be sufficient.  You can check to make sure
it fits your needs exactly by: \d <index name>

Ryan

--
Ryan Bradetich
AIT Operations

Outer joins

От
"Michael S. Kelly"
Дата:
I understand that outer joins are not supported in PostgreSQL.  I'm just
starting my first PostgreSQL project, and have to admit that this concerns
me.  Outer joins have come in handy, at some point, in almost every database
project I've ever worked on.  I guess I'd like to hear how you all work
around this issue.

Thanks,

-=michael=-

Re: Outer joins

От
Дата:
why it is a problem at all, if you use sql so long? outer join
can be easily simulated.

On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Michael S. Kelly wrote:

> I understand that outer joins are not supported in PostgreSQL.  I'm just
> starting my first PostgreSQL project, and have to admit that this concerns
> me.  Outer joins have come in handy, at some point, in almost every database
> project I've ever worked on.  I guess I'd like to hear how you all work
> around this issue.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -=michael=-

RE: Outer joins

От
"Michael S. Kelly"
Дата:
Actually found the answer to my question in Bruce Momjian's book.  I'm
shamefaced to say that I never considered UNION ALL solve the problem.

thanks,

-=michael=-

*  Michael S. Kelly
*  4800 SW Griffith Dr., Ste. 202
*  Beaverton, OR  97005 USA
*  voice: (503)644-6106 x122  fax: (503)643-8425
*  <michaelk@axian.com>
*  http://www.axian.com/
*    Axian:  Software Consulting and Training

why it is a problem at all, if you use sql so long? outer join
can be easily simulated.

On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Michael S. Kelly wrote:

> I understand that outer joins are not supported in PostgreSQL.  I'm just
> starting my first PostgreSQL project, and have to admit that this concerns
> me.  Outer joins have come in handy, at some point, in almost every
database
> project I've ever worked on.  I guess I'd like to hear how you all work
> around this issue.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -=michael=-

Re: Outer joins

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
There is an FAQ item about it.

> why it is a problem at all, if you use sql so long? outer join
> can be easily simulated.
>
> On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Michael S. Kelly wrote:
>
> > I understand that outer joins are not supported in PostgreSQL.  I'm just
> > starting my first PostgreSQL project, and have to admit that this concerns
> > me.  Outer joins have come in handy, at some point, in almost every database
> > project I've ever worked on.  I guess I'd like to hear how you all work
> > around this issue.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > -=michael=-

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Outer joins

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> Actually found the answer to my question in Bruce Momjian's book.  I'm
> shamefaced to say that I never considered UNION ALL solve the problem.

Don't be.  It took me a few years of apologizing for no Outer joins
until I found the answer.  If others already knew it, I hadn't seen it.

Pennsylvania19026