Обсуждение: Storing binary data in a column

Storing binary data in a column

От
Yamini Sharma
Дата:
Hi,

I want to know, how to store binary data in a table, (varchar,
text etc do not work if the data contains nulls embeded in it).

The data type i would like to store is unsigned char *, and it may have
nulls or any other special charecters in it.
INSERT statement works by escaping the special chars using \, but i
could not retreive the results using libpq. The values terminates on a
'\0' character. Is there any other datatype which may be used to store a
binary data string.

Please reply to my email-id as i am not a member of the list.

regards,
Yamini.

Re: Storing binary data in a column

Дата:
Yamini Sharma <yamini@w-o-i.com> writes:
> Is there any other datatype which may be used to store a
> binary data string.

bytea (byte array) is intended to handle this, but I seem to recall
some complaints that its I/O representation is a pain to deal with.
Haven't tried to use it myself.
        regards, tom lane