Обсуждение: Pg/PLSQL Errors!!

Pg/PLSQL Errors!!

От
p.lam@altavista.net
Дата:
I am running PostgreSQL 6.5.3 on RedHat Linux 6.1 on a PC.
I am trying to use Pg/PLSQL.

I even tried being conservative enough to copy the example code from
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/user/c40874340.htm as follows:
CREATE FUNCTION add_one (int4) RETURNS int4 AS '   BEGIN       RETURN $1 + 1;   END;
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

though, even that results in "ERROR:  Unrecognized language specified in a CREATE FUNCTION: 'pl-pgsql'.  Recognized
languagesare sql, C, internal and

the created procedural languages."

I have tried variants including PLSQL,PG/PLSQL,PL/SQL,PGSQL  and even 'internal
procedural language(s)' and 'created procedural language(s)' though with the same error.

Does anyone know of the name of the postgreSQL's procedural language of form like
CREATE function funcName(arguments) returns returntype AS 'BEGIN
statement block END;' LANGUAGE '??????';

Many Thanks!

Re: Pg/PLSQL Errors!!

От
Karel Zak
Дата:
On Tue, 30 May 2000 p.lam@altavista.net wrote:

> I am running PostgreSQL 6.5.3 on RedHat Linux 6.1 on a PC.
> I am trying to use Pg/PLSQL.
>
> I even tried being conservative enough to copy the example code from
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/user/c40874340.htm as follows:
> CREATE FUNCTION add_one (int4) RETURNS int4 AS '
>     BEGIN
>         RETURN $1 + 1;
>     END;
> ' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';
>

> though, even that results in "ERROR:  Unrecognized language specified in a CREATE FUNCTION: 'pl-pgsql'.  Recognized
languagesare sql, C, internal and

> the created procedural languages."
>
> I have tried variants including PLSQL,PG/PLSQL,PL/SQL,PGSQL  and even 'internal
> procedural language(s)' and 'created procedural language(s)' though with the same error.
>
> Does anyone know of the name of the postgreSQL's procedural language of form like
> CREATE function funcName(arguments) returns returntype AS 'BEGIN
> statement block END;' LANGUAGE '??????';
Do you install this language in your DB? See the script 'createlang' in PG
binary tree.                    Karel

Re: Pg/PLSQL Errors!!

От
Frank G Hahn
Дата:
Hi

You need to make the call_handler and create the language plpgsql.
Assuming postgres is installed in /usr/local/pgsql

Example:
-- Setup -- define the languages and the associated handlers
CREATE FUNCTION plpgsql_call_handler () RETURNS OPAQUE AS '/usr/local/pgsql/lib/plpgsql.so' LANGUAGE 'C';

CREATE TRUSTED PROCEDURAL LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' HANDLER plpgsql_call_handler   LANCOMPILER 'PL/pgSQL';

On Tue, 30 May 2000 p.lam@altavista.net wrote:

> I am running PostgreSQL 6.5.3 on RedHat Linux 6.1 on a PC.
> I am trying to use Pg/PLSQL.
>
> I even tried being conservative enough to copy the example code from
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/user/c40874340.htm as follows:
> CREATE FUNCTION add_one (int4) RETURNS int4 AS '
>     BEGIN
>         RETURN $1 + 1;
>     END;
> ' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';
>

> though, even that results in "ERROR:  Unrecognized language specified in a CREATE FUNCTION: 'pl-pgsql'.  Recognized
languagesare sql, C, internal and

> the created procedural languages."
>
> I have tried variants including PLSQL,PG/PLSQL,PL/SQL,PGSQL  and even 'internal
> procedural language(s)' and 'created procedural language(s)' though with the same error.
>
> Does anyone know of the name of the postgreSQL's procedural language of form like
> CREATE function funcName(arguments) returns returntype AS 'BEGIN
> statement block END;' LANGUAGE '??????';
>
> Many Thanks!

Re: Pg/PLSQL Errors!!

От
Tulassay Zsolt
Дата:
did you install the procedural language correctly?
under RedHat, you have to do the following:
(the location of the handler is different because of
packaging conventions)

CREATE FUNCTION plpgsql_call_handler () RETURNS OPAQUE AS       '/usr/lib/pgsql/plpgsql.so' LANGUAGE 'C';

CREATE TRUSTED PROCEDURAL LANGUAGE 'plpgsql'       HANDLER plpgsql_call_handler       LANCOMPILER 'PL/pgSQL';

On Tue, 30 May 2000 p.lam@altavista.net wrote:

> I am running PostgreSQL 6.5.3 on RedHat Linux 6.1 on a PC.
> I am trying to use Pg/PLSQL.
>
> I even tried being conservative enough to copy the example code from
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/user/c40874340.htm as follows:
> CREATE FUNCTION add_one (int4) RETURNS int4 AS '
>     BEGIN
>         RETURN $1 + 1;
>     END;
> ' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';
>

> though, even that results in "ERROR:  Unrecognized language specified in a CREATE FUNCTION: 'pl-pgsql'.  Recognized
languagesare sql, C, internal and

> the created procedural languages."
>
> I have tried variants including PLSQL,PG/PLSQL,PL/SQL,PGSQL  and even 'internal
> procedural language(s)' and 'created procedural language(s)' though with the same error.
>
> Does anyone know of the name of the postgreSQL's procedural language of form like
> CREATE function funcName(arguments) returns returntype AS 'BEGIN
> statement block END;' LANGUAGE '??????';
>
> Many Thanks!

Re: Pg/PLSQL Errors!!

Дата:
p.lam@altavista.net writes:
> though, even that results in "ERROR:  Unrecognized language specified in a CREATE FUNCTION: 'pl-pgsql'.  Recognized
languagesare sql, C, internal and

> the created procedural languages."

Uh, did you run the "createlang" script to install plpgsql into your
database?  It's not installed by default ...
        regards, tom lane

Re: Pg/PLSQL Errors!!

От
SL Baur
Дата:
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> Uh, did you run the "createlang" script to install plpgsql into your
> database?  It's not installed by default ...

Why isn't it installed by default?  Just asking.

Re: Re: Pg/PLSQL Errors!!

Дата:
SL Baur <steve@beopen.com> writes:
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>> Uh, did you run the "createlang" script to install plpgsql into your
>> database?  It's not installed by default ...

> Why isn't it installed by default?  Just asking.

Paranoia, mostly --- we weren't sure we wanted it to be enabled
without an explicit decision by the dbadmin.  I'm not sure I can
point to any compelling reasons why it'd be dangerous, but on the
other side it's not proven to be totally safe either.

pltcl and plperl don't get installed by default either, and those
I definitely wouldn't agree to enabling by default... they don't
have enough track record.  plpgsql is more of a borderline call.
        regards, tom lane