Обсуждение: Rules with Conditions: Bug, or Misunderstanding

Rules with Conditions: Bug, or Misunderstanding

От
"Joel Burton"
Дата:
Am I misunderstanding how to use rule w/conditionals, or is there a
bug in this?

--

I love to use Pgsql comments, but find the 'comment on field...'
language a bit of a pain for documenting a large database at the

create view dev_col_comments as
select a.oid as att_oid, relname, attname, description
from pg_class c, pg_attribute a left outer join pg_description d on d.objoid=a.oid
where c.oid=a.attrelid
and (c.relkind='r' or c.relkind='v') and c.relname !~ '^pg_'
and attname not in ('xmax','xmin','cmax','cmin','ctid','oid','tableoid')
order by relname, attname;

[This uses pg7.1 syntax; you could rewrite for 7.0 w/o the 'v' for
views, and using a union rather than outer join.]

This works great. Feeling clever, I wrote two rules, so I could
update this and create comments. I need two rules, one if this is an
existing description (becoming an update to pg_description), one if
this not (becoming an insert to pg_description).

create rule dev_ins as on update to dev_col_comments where
old.description isnull do instead insert into pg_description ( objoid,
description) values (old.att_oid, new.description);

create rule dev_upd as on update to dev_col_comments where
old.description notnull do instead update pg_description set
description=new.description where objoid=old.att_oid;

This doesn't work: I get a "cannot update view w/o rule" error
message, both for fields where description was null, and for fields
where it wasn't null.

If I take out the "where old.description isnull" clause of dev_ins, it
works fine--but, only, of course, if I am sure to only pick new
descriptions. Or, if I take out the clause in dev_upd, it works too,
with the opposite caveat.

Is this a bug? Am I misunderstanding something about the way that
rule conditions should work? The docs are long but fuzzy on rules
(they seem to suggest, for instance, that "create rule foo on
update to table.column" will work, when this is not implemented yet,
so perhaps the docs are ahead of the implementation?)

Any help would be great!

I do read the pgsql lists, but always appreciate a cc, so I don't miss
any comments. TIA.

Thanks,

--
Joel Burton, Director of Information Systems -*- jburton@scw.org
Support Center of Washington (www.scw.org)

Re: Rules with Conditions: Bug, or Misunderstanding

Дата:
"Joel Burton" <jburton@scw.org> writes:
> create rule dev_ins as on update to dev_col_comments where
> old.description isnull do instead insert into pg_description ( objoid,
> description) values (old.att_oid, new.description);

> create rule dev_upd as on update to dev_col_comments where
> old.description notnull do instead update pg_description set
> description=new.description where objoid=old.att_oid;

> This doesn't work: I get a "cannot update view w/o rule" error
> message, both for fields where description was null, and for fields
> where it wasn't null.

Hm.  Perhaps the "cannot update view" test is too strict --- it's not
bright enough to realize that the two rules together cover all cases,
so it complains that you *might* be trying to update the view.  As the
code stands, you must provide an unconditional DO INSTEAD rule to
implement insertion or update of a view.

I'm not sure this is a big problem, though, because the solution is
simple: provide an unconditional rule with multiple actions.  For
example, I think this will work:

create rule dev_upd as on update to dev_col_comments do instead
( insert into pg_description (objoid, description)   select old.att_oid, new.description WHERE old.description isnull;
updatepg_description set description=new.description   where objoid = old.att_oid;

)

but I haven't tried it...
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Re: Rules with Conditions: Bug, or Misunderstanding

От
Mark Hollomon
Дата:
On Wednesday 29 November 2000 19:42, Tom Lane wrote:

> Hm.  Perhaps the "cannot update view" test is too strict --- it's not
> bright enough to realize that the two rules together cover all cases,
> so it complains that you *might* be trying to update the view.  As the
> code stands, you must provide an unconditional DO INSTEAD rule to
> implement insertion or update of a view.

The idea was to check just before the update occurred to see if the
destination was view. Maybe the test is too high up, before all rewriting
occurs.

It is in InitPlan, the same place we check to make sure that we are not
changing a sequence or a toast table. (actually initResultRelInfo called from
InitPlan). I gathered from the backend flowchart that this wasn't called
until all rewriting was done. Was I wrong?

If all rewriting _is_ done at that point, why is the view still in the
ResultRelInfo ?

--
Mark Hollomon

Re: [HACKERS] Re: Rules with Conditions: Bug, or Misunderstanding

Дата:
Mark Hollomon <mhh@mindspring.com> writes:
> On Wednesday 29 November 2000 19:42, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Hm.  Perhaps the "cannot update view" test is too strict --- it's not
>> bright enough to realize that the two rules together cover all cases,
>> so it complains that you *might* be trying to update the view.  As the
>> code stands, you must provide an unconditional DO INSTEAD rule to
>> implement insertion or update of a view.

> It is in InitPlan, the same place we check to make sure that we are
> not changing a sequence or a toast table. (actually initResultRelInfo
> called from InitPlan). I gathered from the backend flowchart that this
> wasn't called until all rewriting was done. Was I wrong?

The rewriting is done, all right, but what's left afterward still has
references to the view, because each rule is conditional.  Essentially,
the rewriter output looks like
-- rule 1if (rule1 condition holds)    -- rule 2 applied to rule1 success case    if (rule2 condition holds)
applyrule 2's query    else        apply rule 1's queryelse    -- rule 2 applied to rule1 failure case    if (rule2
conditionholds)        apply rule 2's query    else        apply original query

If the system were capable of determining that either rule1 or rule2
condition will always hold, perhaps it could deduce that the original
query on the view will never be applied.  However, I doubt that we
really want to let loose an automated theorem prover on the results
of every rewrite ...
        regards, tom lane

Re: Rules with Conditions: Bug, or Misunderstanding

От
"Joel Burton"
Дата:
On 29 Nov 2000, at 19:42, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Joel Burton" <jburton@scw.org> writes:
> > create rule dev_ins as on update to dev_col_comments where
> > old.description isnull do instead insert into pg_description (
> > objoid, description) values (old.att_oid, new.description);
>
> > create rule dev_upd as on update to dev_col_comments where
> > old.description notnull do instead update pg_description set
> > description=new.description where objoid=old.att_oid;
>
> > This doesn't work: I get a "cannot update view w/o rule" error
> > message, both for fields where description was null, and for fields
> > where it wasn't null.
>

> [... ] I think this will work:
>
> create rule dev_upd as on update to dev_col_comments do instead
> (
>   insert into pg_description (objoid, description)
>     select old.att_oid, new.description WHERE old.description isnull;
>   update pg_description set description=new.description
>     where objoid = old.att_oid;
> )

Tom --

Thanks for the help. I had assumed (wrongly) that one could have
conditional rules, and only if all the conditions fail, that it would go
to the "cannot update view" end, and didn't realize that there
*had* to be a single do instead.

In any event, though, the rule above crashes my backend, as do
simpler versions I wrote that try your CREATE RULE DO INSTEAD (
INSERT; UPDATE; ) idea.

What information can I provide to the list to troubleshoot this?

Thanks!

--
Joel Burton, Director of Information Systems -*- jburton@scw.org
Support Center of Washington (www.scw.org)

Re: Rules with Conditions: Bug, or Misunderstanding

Дата:
"Joel Burton" <jburton@scw.org> writes:
> In any event, though, the rule above crashes my backend, as do
> simpler versions I wrote that try your CREATE RULE DO INSTEAD (
> INSERT; UPDATE; ) idea.

Ugh :-(

> What information can I provide to the list to troubleshoot this?

A gdb backtrace from the corefile, and/or a simple example to replicate
the problem...
        regards, tom lane

Re: Rules with Conditions: Bug, or Misunderstanding

От
Jan Wieck
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Joel Burton" <jburton@scw.org> writes:
> > create rule dev_ins as on update to dev_col_comments where
> > old.description isnull do instead insert into pg_description ( objoid,
> > description) values (old.att_oid, new.description);
>
> > create rule dev_upd as on update to dev_col_comments where
> > old.description notnull do instead update pg_description set
> > description=new.description where objoid=old.att_oid;
>
> > This doesn't work: I get a "cannot update view w/o rule" error
> > message, both for fields where description was null, and for fields
> > where it wasn't null.
>
> Hm.  Perhaps the "cannot update view" test is too strict --- it's not
> bright enough to realize that the two rules together cover all cases,
> so it complains that you *might* be trying to update the view.  As the
> code stands, you must provide an unconditional DO INSTEAD rule to
> implement insertion or update of a view.
   Disagree.
   A  conditional rule splits the command into two, one with the   rules action and  the  condition  added,  one  which
is  the   original  statement  plus the negated condition. So there are   cases left where an INSERT can happen to  the
view  relation   and it's the job of this test to prevent it.

Jan

Re: Rules with Conditions: Bug, or Misunderstanding

Дата:
Jan Wieck <janwieck@Yahoo.com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Hm.  Perhaps the "cannot update view" test is too strict --- it's not
>> bright enough to realize that the two rules together cover all cases,
>> so it complains that you *might* be trying to update the view.  As the
>> code stands, you must provide an unconditional DO INSTEAD rule to
>> implement insertion or update of a view.

>     Disagree.

>     A  conditional rule splits the command into two, one with the
>     rules action and  the  condition  added,  one  which  is  the
>     original  statement  plus the negated condition. So there are
>     cases left where an INSERT can happen to  the  view  relation
>     and it's the job of this test to prevent it.

Well, in that case the present code is broken, because it's going to
spit up if any part of the rewritten query shows the view as result
relation (cf. QueryRewrite() ... note that this logic no longer looks
much like it did the last time you touched it ;-)).  You'd have to
convert the existing rewrite-time test into a runtime test in order to
see whether the query actually tries to insert any tuples into the view.

While that is maybe reasonable for insertions, it's totally silly
for update and delete queries.  Since the view itself can never contain
any tuples to be updated or deleted, a runtime test that errors out
when one attempts to update or delete such a tuple could never fire.
I don't think that means that we shouldn't complain about an update
or delete on a view.

I think the test is best left as-is...
        regards, tom lane