Обсуждение: trying to pattern match to a value contained in a column

trying to pattern match to a value contained in a column

От
Beth Gatewood
Дата:
Hi-

I can't figure out how to do this....

I examine a table where I think that one attribute is an abbreviation of
another attribute.

So-If I had a table where I had LONG_NAME and ABBR as attributes.

I want something like

SELECT whatever FROM my_table WHERE long_name LIKE '%[the value of ABBR
in that row]%';

Of course this doesn't work...

Any thoughts?

Thanks-
Beth

RE: trying to pattern match to a value contained in a column

От
"Francis Solomon"
Дата:
Hi Beth,

Try something like this ...

Here's a simple table schema:

CREATE TABLE abbrev ( abbr varchar(10), long_name varchar(50), primary key(abbr)
);

Throw in some random data:

INSERT INTO abbrev VALUES ('fs', 'fsolomon');
INSERT INTO abbrev VALUES ('bg', 'bgatewood');
INSERT INTO abbrev VALUES ('junk', 'nomatch');

Query the table:

SELECT * FROM abbrev WHERE long_name~abbr;

... which yields these results:
abbr |  long_name
------+-----------fs   | fsolomonbg   | bgatewood

Note that ~ does a case-sensitive regex match. If you really want a
'like' match, you could do this instead:

SELECT * FROM abbrev where long_name~~('%' || abbr || '%');

... where '||' is the string-concatenation operator.

Hope this helps

Francis Solomon

Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Beth Gatewood writes:

> So-If I had a table where I had LONG_NAME and ABBR as attributes.
>
> I want something like
>
> SELECT whatever FROM my_table WHERE long_name LIKE '%[the value of ABBR
> in that row]%';

SELECT whatever FROM my_table a, my_table b WHERE a.long_name like (b.abbr || '%');

Re: trying to pattern match to a value contained in a column

От
Beth Gatewood
Дата:
Hi Francis-

Thank you for your rapid and excellent response.

This makes perfect sense...unfortunately it isn't working...

I hope this isn't because I am using 6.3 (yes...I know it is very very
old but this is currently where the data is!)

here is the query:

select * from av34s1 where chromat ~~ ('%' || sample || '%');

ERROR:  parser: syntax error at or near "||"

I have also tried using LIKE....

samething..

NOW..
select * from av34s1 where chromat~sample;

ERROR:  There is no operator '~' for types 'bpchar' and 'bpchar'       You will either have to retype this query using
anexplicit

cast,       or you will have to define the operator using CREATE OPERATOR

Indeed...

Table    = av34s1
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+

|              Field               |              Type                |
Length|
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+

| contig                           | char()
|    10 |
| contig_pos                       | char()
|    10 |
| read_pos                         | char()
|    10 |
| chromat                          | char()
|    30 |
| sample                           | char()
|    30 |
| allele1                          | char()
|    10 |
| allele2                          | char()
|    10 |
| ref_pos                          | char()
|    10 |
| ref_sample                       | char()
|    10 |
| tag                              | char()
|    10 |
| source                           | char()
|    10 |
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+

Thanks for your response...

Beth

Francis Solomon wrote:

> Hi Beth,
>
> Try something like this ...
>
> Here's a simple table schema:
>
> CREATE TABLE abbrev (
>   abbr varchar(10),
>   long_name varchar(50),
>   primary key(abbr)
> );
>
> Throw in some random data:
>
> INSERT INTO abbrev VALUES ('fs', 'fsolomon');
> INSERT INTO abbrev VALUES ('bg', 'bgatewood');
> INSERT INTO abbrev VALUES ('junk', 'nomatch');
>
> Query the table:
>
> SELECT * FROM abbrev WHERE long_name~abbr;
>
> ... which yields these results:
>
>  abbr |  long_name
> ------+-----------
>  fs   | fsolomon
>  bg   | bgatewood
>
> Note that ~ does a case-sensitive regex match. If you really want a
> 'like' match, you could do this instead:
>
> SELECT * FROM abbrev where long_name~~('%' || abbr || '%');
>
> ... where '||' is the string-concatenation operator.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Francis Solomon

"Joel Burton"
Дата:
> This makes perfect sense...unfortunately it isn't working...
>
> I hope this isn't because I am using 6.3 (yes...I know it is very very
> old but this is currently where the data is!)
>
> here is the query:
>
> select * from av34s1 where chromat ~~ ('%' || sample || '%');
>

> ERROR:  parser: syntax error at or near "||"
>
> I have also tried using LIKE....
>
> samething..
>
> NOW..
> select * from av34s1 where chromat~sample;
>
> ERROR:  There is no operator '~' for types 'bpchar' and 'bpchar'
>         You will either have to retype this query using an explicit
> cast,
>         or you will have to define the operator using CREATE OPERATOR

The suggestion works fine w/recent versions; perhaps it's a '6.3
thing'

Perhaps

SELECT * FROM tbl WHERE chromat::TEXT ~~ ('%' || sample || '%'
)::TEXT;

?

Also, upgrading isn't difficult in most cases; you can pg_dumpall and
upgrade and restore your files. 7.0 has many nice features over the
6.x series.
--
Joel Burton, Director of Information Systems -*- jburton@scw.org
Support Center of Washington (www.scw.org)

Re: trying to pattern match to a value contained in a column

Дата:
Beth Gatewood <bethg@mbt.washington.edu> writes:
> I hope this isn't because I am using 6.3 (yes...I know it is very very
> old but this is currently where the data is!)

> here is the query:
> select * from av34s1 where chromat ~~ ('%' || sample || '%');
> ERROR:  parser: syntax error at or near "||"

I seem to recall that || (and most other operators) wasn't
considered associative by the grammar way back when.
Try a fully parenthesized expression:

select * from av34s1 where chromat ~~ (('%' || sample) || '%');
        regards, tom lane

PS: And do think about updating soon, hmm?

Re: trying to pattern match to a value contained in a column

От
"Ross J. Reedstrom"
Дата:
Beth -
Both errors you describe are due to using 6.3. The first one might work if
you parenthize the repeated use of ||, as so:

select * from av34s1 where chromat ~~ (('%' || sample ) || '%');

Ross

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 01:45:00PM -0800, Beth Gatewood wrote:
> Hi Francis-
>
> Thank you for your rapid and excellent response.
>
> This makes perfect sense...unfortunately it isn't working...
>
> I hope this isn't because I am using 6.3 (yes...I know it is very very
> old but this is currently where the data is!)
>
> here is the query:
>
> select * from av34s1 where chromat ~~ ('%' || sample || '%');
>

> ERROR:  parser: syntax error at or near "||"
>
> I have also tried using LIKE....

NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer

Re: trying to pattern match to a value contained in a column

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> Beth Gatewood <bethg@mbt.washington.edu> writes:
> > I hope this isn't because I am using 6.3 (yes...I know it is very very
> > old but this is currently where the data is!)
>
> > here is the query:
> > select * from av34s1 where chromat ~~ ('%' || sample || '%');
> > ERROR:  parser: syntax error at or near "||"
>
> I seem to recall that || (and most other operators) wasn't
> considered associative by the grammar way back when.
> Try a fully parenthesized expression:

Yes || had strange problems in those releases.

Pennsylvania19026