Обсуждение: Question #4 about PL/PGSQL

Question #4 about PL/PGSQL

От
"Josh Berkus"
Дата:
Folks,

Oh, yes, one more:

4. If I pass a NULL to any of the parameters of a PL/PGSQL
function, any (other) VARCHAR parameters are set to NULL as
well.

Thanks!

-Josh

Re: Question #4 about PL/PGSQL

Дата:
"Josh Berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> 4. If I pass a NULL to any of the parameters of a PL/PGSQL
> function, any (other) VARCHAR parameters are set to NULL as
> well.

Not only varchar --- any other parameters, period.  And not only that,
but the result is taken as NULL no matter what you try to return.

This is a longstanding deficiency that is fixed by the new function
manager in 7.1.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Question #4 about PL/PGSQL

От
"Josh Berkus"
Дата:
Tom,

> Not only varchar --- any other parameters, period.  And
> not only that,
> but the result is taken as NULL no matter what you try to
> return.

Not quite.  I tried the following:

Parameters: $1=integer, $2=NULL, $3=varchar

And I had the function test for nulls.  It read the first
parameter, but not $3.  It did return the string telling me
it had found nulls, however.

> This is a longstanding deficiency that is fixed by the
> new function
> manager in 7.1.

Damn!  When is the "holy grail" of PostgreSQL going to be
stable enough to use?  Beta3 still has a "not advisable for
production" warning, and I'm being tied up in knots by the
number of things I need in 7.1.

Would it help if I sent more money?  :-)

-Josh

Re: Question #4 about PL/PGSQL

От
"Josh Berkus"
Дата:
Tom,

> Damn!  When is the "holy grail" of PostgreSQL going to be
> stable enough to use?  Beta3 still has a "not advisable
> for
> production" warning, and I'm being tied up in knots by
> the
> number of things I need in 7.1.

Ooops!  That may have sounded a little harsh.  I am a bit
desperate, but that's hardly your fault.  Thank you so much
for all of your hard work as our "database engine" guru, and
for staying up late to answer our questions!

-Josh

Re: Question #4 about PL/PGSQL

От
Jan Wieck
Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Oh, yes, one more:
>
> 4. If I pass a NULL to any of the parameters of a PL/PGSQL
> function, any (other) VARCHAR parameters are set to NULL as
> well.
   Fixed  in  7.1.  Impossible to fix in 7.0.x or earlier due to   missing capabilities of the function manager.

Jan