Обсуждение: SQL For smarties

SQL For smarties

От
"Graham Vickrage"
Дата:
Hi All,

Does anyone know where I can get the book 'SQL for smarties' as it seems to
be out of print.

Alternatively could anyone recommend a book that is going to help me
represent tree structures in a database and the methods to manipulate them.

Thanks in advance.

Graham.

Re: SQL For smarties

Дата:
"Graham Vickrage" <graham@digitalplanit.com> writes:
> Does anyone know where I can get the book 'SQL for smarties' as it seems to
> be out of print.

Surely not.  Amazon claims to have it in stock: just go to
www.amazon.com and search for "sql for smarties"; comes right up.

Perhaps you were looking for the first edition?
        regards, tom lane

Re: SQL For smarties

От
Bill Cunningham
Дата:
You mean this book:

http://www.bookpool.com/.x/noh7tjpis1/ss/1?qs=sql+for+smarties&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

Graham Vickrage wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>Does anyone know where I can get the book 'SQL for smarties' as it seems to
>be out of print.
>
>Alternatively could anyone recommend a book that is going to help me
>represent tree structures in a database and the methods to manipulate them.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Graham.

>subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your
>message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

Re: SQL For smarties

От
Rajesh Kumar Mallah
Дата:
Graham Vickrage wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Does anyone know where I can get the book 'SQL for smarties' as it seems to
> be out of print.
>
> Alternatively could anyone recommend a book that is going to help me
> represent tree structures in a database and the methods to manipulate them.

http://cddb.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/
check contrib/tree
i have not tried myself though ;-)

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Graham.

Re: SQL For smarties

От
"Graham Vickrage"
Дата:
I am trying to create tables from within a funtion i.e.

create function _tree_create(text) retuns int as '
begin;
create table $1_tree (....);
return 1;
end;

select _tree_create('item');

An error message refering to $1 gets thrown up. Is this not possible to do
or is there another way of doing it?

Thanks in advance.

Graham

Re: SQL For smarties

От
Jeff Eckermann
Try:

execute ''create table '' || $1 || ''_tree (....)'';
(That's doubled single quotes)

--- Graham Vickrage <graham@digitalplanit.com> wrote:
> I am trying to create tables from within a funtion
> i.e.
>
> create function _tree_create(text) retuns int as '
> begin;
> create table $1_tree (....);
> return 1;
> end;
>
> select _tree_create('item');
>
> An error message refering to $1 gets thrown up. Is
> this not possible to do
> or is there another way of doing it?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Graham

http://sports.yahoo.com

Re: SQL For smarties

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Graham Vickrage wrote:

> I am trying to create tables from within a funtion i.e.
>
> create function _tree_create(text) retuns int as '
> begin;
> create table $1_tree (....);
> return 1;
> end;
>
> select _tree_create('item');
>
> An error message refering to $1 gets thrown up. Is this not possible to do
> or is there another way of doing it?

You'll probably need to generate the query string you want to run and
use execute.

Re: SQL For smarties

От
"Josh Berkus"
Дата:
Graham,

> > Does anyone know where I can get the book 'SQL for smarties' as it
>  seems to
> > be out of print.

The first edition is out of print.  That's OK, you don't want it.  Thesecond edition is in print:

Stacy's Bookstore has it:
http://www.staceys.com/

As does Powell's:
http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?inkey=2-1558605762-0