Обсуждение: now() does not change within a transaction

now() does not change within a transaction

От
Christoph Haller
Дата:
Hi pgsql-sql list,
I did some testing around tables using a column
timestamp with time zone not null default now().
I have noticed a valuable feature:
As long as being inside a transaction initiated by
begin;
the return value of the now() function does not change.
Is this intended - as written in the documentation?
Can I rely on it, so future releases of PostgreSQL
will act the same.
Regards, Christoph

Re: now() does not change within a transaction

От
Karel Zak
Дата:
On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 02:04:35PM +0000, Christoph Haller wrote:
> Hi pgsql-sql list,
> I did some testing around tables using a column
> timestamp with time zone not null default now().
> I have noticed a valuable feature:
> As long as being inside a transaction initiated by
> begin;
> the return value of the now() function does not change.
> Is this intended - as written in the documentation?
Sure. See (for example):

http://docs.linux.cz/PostgreSQL/functions-datetime.html#FUNCTIONS-DATETIME-CURRENT
  It is quite important to realize that CURRENT_TIMESTAMP and related  functions all return the time as of the start of
thecurrent transaction;  their values do not increment while a transaction is running. But  timeofday() returns the
actualcurrent time.

test=# select timeofday()::timestamp;          timeofday
-------------------------------2002-04-18 14:39:36.459162+02
       Karel

-- Karel Zak  <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/C, PostgreSQL, PHP, WWW, http://docs.linux.cz,
http://mape.jcu.cz

Re: now() does not change within a transaction

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Christoph Haller wrote:
> Hi pgsql-sql list,
> I did some testing around tables using a column
> timestamp with time zone not null default now().
> I have noticed a valuable feature:
> As long as being inside a transaction initiated by
> begin;
> the return value of the now() function does not change.
> Is this intended - as written in the documentation?
> Can I rely on it, so future releases of PostgreSQL
> will act the same.

Yes, this is intended and will not change.

Pennsylvania19026