Обсуждение: SQL problem with aggregate functions.

SQL problem with aggregate functions.

От
David BOURIAUD
Дата:
Hi the list !
I've got a table in which there is a field that can have one amongst 3
possible values : D, R, X. Is it possible to get in one query the count of
this different values.Please, note that I don't want to have a querry like
this :
"select count (*) from tab group by f1;", cause i want to get all the possible
count values in one row (these data are already grouped on another field).
To give a more accurate example, here is what I want to retrieve :

Field group | count of D | count of R | count of X.

Any clues ?
--
David BOURIAUD
In a world without walls or fences, what use do we have

Re: SQL problem with aggregate functions.

От
Christoph Haller

> I've got a table in which there is a field that can have one amongst 3
> possible values : D, R, X. Is it possible to get in one query the count of
> this different values.Please, note that I don't want to have a querry like
> this :
> "select count (*) from tab group by f1;", cause i want to get all the possible
> count values in one row (these data are already grouped on another field).
> To give a more accurate example, here is what I want to retrieve :
>
> Field group | count of D | count of R | count of X.
>
> Any clues ?
> --
What about something like

SELECT SUM(f1_d) AS count_d,      SUM(f1_r) AS count_r,      SUM(f1_x) AS count_x
FROM (SELECT CASE WHEN f1 = 'D' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END AS f1_d,       CASE WHEN f1 = 'R' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END AS f1_r,
CASEWHEN f1 = 'X' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END AS f1_xFROM tab ) AS foo ;

Regards, Christoph

Re: SQL problem with aggregate functions.

От
Loyd Goodbar
Дата:
I would suggest something like

select sum(case when f1 = 'D' then 1 else 0 end) as D_COUNT,
sum(case when f1 = 'R' then 1 else 0 end) as R_COUNT,
sum(case when f1 = 'X' then 1 else 0 end) as X_COUNT
from tab
where f1 in ('D','R','X')

Not sure what the "field group" represents.

HTH,
Loyd

--
"Why, you can even hear yourself think." --Hobbes
"This is making me nervous. Let's go in." --Calvin

Re: SQL problem with aggregate functions.

От
Jean-Luc Lachance
Дата:
What is wrong with:

select field_group, sum( case when f1 = 'D' then cnt else 0 end) as
D_COUNT, sum( case when f1 = 'R' then cnt else 0 end) as R_COUNT, sum( case when f1 = 'X' then cnt else 0 end) as
X_COUNT
from (select field_group, f1, count (*) as cnt from tab group by
field_group, f1) as ss
group by field_group;

It should be faster because there is less CASE evaluation.

Loyd Goodbar wrote:

> I would suggest something like
>
> select sum(case when f1 = 'D' then 1 else 0 end) as D_COUNT,
> sum(case when f1 = 'R' then 1 else 0 end) as R_COUNT,
> sum(case when f1 = 'X' then 1 else 0 end) as X_COUNT
> from tab
> where f1 in ('D','R','X')
>
> Not sure what the "field group" represents.
>
> HTH,
> Loyd
>
> On Thu, 11 Jul 2002 10:37:40 METDST, Christoph Haller <ch@rodos.fzk.de> wrote:
>

> >> I've got a table in which there is a field that can have one amongst 3
> >> possible values : D, R, X. Is it possible to get in one query the count of
> >> this different values.Please, note that I don't want to have a querry like
> >> this :
> >> "select count (*) from tab group by f1;", cause i want to get all the possible
> >> count values in one row (these data are already grouped on another field).
> >> To give a more accurate example, here is what I want to retrieve :
> >>
> >> Field group | count of D | count of R | count of X.
> >>
> >> Any clues ?
> >> --
> >What about something like
> >

> >SELECT SUM(f1_d) AS count_d,
> >       SUM(f1_r) AS count_r,
> >       SUM(f1_x) AS count_x
> >FROM (
> > SELECT CASE WHEN f1 = 'D' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END AS f1_d,
> >        CASE WHEN f1 = 'R' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END AS f1_r,
> >        CASE WHEN f1 = 'X' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END AS f1_x
> > FROM tab ) AS foo ;
> >
> >Regards, Christoph

> >TIP 6: Have you searched our list archives?
> >
> >http://archives.postgresql.org
>
> --
> "Why, you can even hear yourself think." --Hobbes
> "This is making me nervous. Let's go in." --Calvin
> loyd@blackrobes.net  ICQ#504581  http://www.blackrobes.net/

Re: SQL problem with aggregate functions.

От
Hubert depesz Lubaczewski
Дата:
On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 10:36:17AM +0200, David BOURIAUD wrote:
> Field group | count of D | count of R | count of X.

if you want this that way, i suggest using subselects.
like:
selectdistinct field_group,(select count(*) from table t2 where t2.field_group = t1.field_group and t2.field='D') as
count_of_d,(selectcount(*) from table t2 where t2.field_group = t1.field_group and t2.field='R') as count_of_r,(select
count(*)from table t2 where t2.field_group = t1.field_group and t2.field='X') as count_of_x
fromtable;

should work the way you want it.

anyway, i belive that making this:

select field_group, field, count(*) from table where field in
('D','R','X') group by field_group, field;

and then processing results in client application, should be a little
bit better/faster solution.

depesz

--
hubert depesz lubaczewski                          http://www.depesz.pl/
Mój Boże, spraw abym milczał, dopóki się nie upewnię,  że  naprawdę  mam