Обсуждение: DISTINCT ON

DISTINCT ON

От
Rudi Starcevic
Дата:
Hi,

Just quickly, DISTINCT ON - Is that Postgresql only ?
Thanks

Re: DISTINCT ON

От
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Дата:
Don't know.  I've seen it elsewhere so it might even be "standard".

Chris

Assignments in PL/pgSQL

От
"Michael Paesold"
Дата:
Hi all,

although this is not really SQL, but PL/pgSQL, I hope this is the right
place to ask.

I have written a complex triggers. It works very well. Just now I have
realized that I have used the = operater for variable assignments, instead
of the := operater. To my suprise, there was no error or warning, and the
store procedure works very well!

e.g.
NEW.someval = rec.someother;
works as well as
NEW.someval := rec.someother;

Can you confirm that both are valid? Can someone explain this?
And is it safe to use the former syntax?

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold

Re: DISTINCT ON

От
"Chad Thompson"
Дата:
According to a recent thread Re: [SQL] Select the max on a field
Jeff Eckerman said:

>If you don't mind a non-portable feature, DISTINCT ON
>should do what you want.  Something like:
>SELECT DISTINCT ON (att_2) att_1, att_2, att_3, att_4
>FROM table
>ORDER BY att_2, att_1 DESC;
I couldnt find anything in the docs, but it acording to this it isnt standard

Thanks
Chad

pgsql-sql@postgresql.org
> > Subject: [SQL] DISTINCT ON
> >

> > Hi,
> >
> > Just quickly, DISTINCT ON - Is that Postgresql only ?
> > Thanks

Re: Assignments in PL/pgSQL

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Michael,

> although this is not really SQL, but PL/pgSQL, I hope this is the right
> place to ask.

This is the right place.

> I have written a complex triggers. It works very well. Just now I have
> realized that I have used the = operater for variable assignments, instead
> of the := operater. To my suprise, there was no error or warning, and the
> store procedure works very well!
>
> e.g.
> NEW.someval = rec.someother;
> works as well as
> NEW.someval := rec.someother;
>
> Can you confirm that both are valid? Can someone explain this?
> And is it safe to use the former syntax?

I'm very surprised, too.   The "=" syntax is not per spec; my guess is,
somebody coded in compatibility for DB conversion purposes and left it there.
Jan?  Tom?

--
-Josh BerkusAglio Database SolutionsSan Francisco

Re: Assignments in PL/pgSQL

От
Joe Conway
Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> I'm very surprised, too.   The "=" syntax is not per spec; my guess is,
> somebody coded in compatibility for DB conversion purposes and left it there.
> Jan?  Tom?

I also noticed this the other day while messing with the plpgsql lexer:

/* ---------- * The keyword rules * ---------- */
:=        { return K_ASSIGN; }
=         { return K_ASSIGN; }

This code goes back to the original scan.l from 1998. I'm guessing it has
always worked, but was never documented -- but I've been known to be wrong
sometimes ;-). Hopefully Jan will chime in.

Joe

Re: Assignments in PL/pgSQL

От
Jan Wieck
Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:

> Michael,
>
> > although this is not really SQL, but PL/pgSQL, I hope this is the right
> > place to ask.
>
> This is the right place.
>
> > I have written a complex triggers. It works very well. Just now I have
> > realized that I have used the = operater for variable assignments, instead
> > of the := operater. To my suprise, there was no error or warning, and the
> > store procedure works very well!
> >
> > e.g.
> > NEW.someval = rec.someother;
> > works as well as
> > NEW.someval := rec.someother;
> >
> > Can you confirm that both are valid? Can someone explain this?
> > And is it safe to use the former syntax?
>
> I'm very surprised, too.   The "=" syntax is not per spec; my guess is,
> somebody coded in compatibility for DB conversion purposes and left it there.
> Jan?  Tom?

Er ... I don't recall completely, maybe it was more compatibility
to my own lazyness ;-/ (typing a colon means Shift-and-semicolon
... that's 2 saved keystrokes per assignment ... what do you
think where I save all the keystrokes I need to write email like
this?).

Jan

# It's easier to get forgiveness for being wrong than for being
right. #
# Let's break this rule - forgive
me.                                  #
#==================================================
JanWieck@Yahoo.com #

Re: Assignments in PL/pgSQL

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Jan,

> Er ... I don't recall completely, maybe it was more compatibility
> to my own lazyness ;-/ (typing a colon means Shift-and-semicolon
> ... that's 2 saved keystrokes per assignment ... what do you
> think where I save all the keystrokes I need to write email like
> this?).

Hmmm. Well, as long as it doesn't cause any problems, why not keep it?

Surely if it caused bugs, we'd have heard by now.

--
-Josh BerkusAglio Database SolutionsSan Francisco