Обсуждение: Can Postgres cache a table in memory?

Can Postgres cache a table in memory?

От
"Kevin Traub"
Дата:
Hello all;

I'm trying to speed up a query which returns the majority of a table so and
index isn't helpful.
I've got more than enough RAM to hold my table so, can anyone tell me if
there is there a way to force Postgres to cache a table in RAM?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks;
-Kevin Traub

Re: Can Postgres cache a table in memory?

От
Achilleus Mantzios
Дата:
On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, Kevin Traub wrote:

> Hello all;
>
> I'm trying to speed up a query which returns the majority of a table so and
> index isn't helpful.
> I've got more than enough RAM to hold my table so, can anyone tell me if
> there is there a way to force Postgres to cache a table in RAM?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

You need to tune first of all shared_buffers.
Change the postgres.conf file usual in $PGDATA directory.
Bare in mind that one buffer holds 8k of data.

> Thanks;
> -Kevin Traub

Achilleus Mantzios
S/W Engineer
IT dept
Dynacom Tankers Mngmt
Nikis 4, Glyfada
Athens 16610
Greece
tel:    +30-10-8981112
fax:    +30-10-8981877
email:  achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com       mantzios@softlab.ece.ntua.gr

Re: Can Postgres cache a table in memory?

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
On Thursday 03 Oct 2002 3:03 pm, Kevin Traub wrote:
> Hello all;
>
> I'm trying to speed up a query which returns the majority of a table so and
> index isn't helpful.
> I've got more than enough RAM to hold my table so, can anyone tell me if
> there is there a way to force Postgres to cache a table in RAM?

You're probably just as well off if you let your OS deal with caching the
underlying file. What figures are you getting (use the "free" command if in
linux). It might be that you've given Postgresql *too* much memory, and
that's interfering with your OS.

Could you provide brief hardware specs, the size of the table concerned, time
taken?

--  Richard Huxton

Re: Can Postgres cache a table in memory?

Дата:
"Kevin Traub" <ktraub@verizon.net> writes:
> I'm trying to speed up a query which returns the majority of a table so and
> index isn't helpful.
> I've got more than enough RAM to hold my table so, can anyone tell me if
> there is there a way to force Postgres to cache a table in RAM?

There is no need to do anything; if you're hitting the table a lot, it
should all migrate into kernel disk buffers.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Can Postgres cache a table in memory?

От
"Josh Berkus"
Дата:
Kevin,

> I'm trying to speed up a query which returns the majority of a table
> so and
> index isn't helpful.
> I've got more than enough RAM to hold my table so, can anyone tell me
> if
> there is there a way to force Postgres to cache a table in RAM?

Please join the PGSQL-PERFORMANCE mailing list and post this question
there:

pgsql-performance-request@postgresql.org
message: "subscribe"

-Josh Berkus