Обсуждение: Anti log in PostgreSQL

Anti log in PostgreSQL

От
Sai Hertz And Control Systems
Дата:
Dear all ,

In one of our project I require to calculate antilog of  (3.3234)
But I could not find any functions in Documentation for the same.

In mathematics I would have written it something like

A = antilog (3·3234) = 2144

Any suggestions or  links are most welcome .

Regards,
Vishal Kashyap.

Re: Anti log in PostgreSQL

От
Martin Marques
Дата:
El Vie 26 Dic 2003 19:12, Sai Hertz And Control Systems escribió:
> Dear all ,
>
> In one of our project I require to calculate antilog of  (3.3234)
> But I could not find any functions in Documentation for the same.
>
> In mathematics I would have written it something like
>
> A = antilog (3·3234) = 2144

As I can understand, this is a 10 base log, so that what you want is
10^(3.3234)?

For that you have the exponential operator ^.

--
select 'mmarques' || '@' || 'unl.edu.ar' AS email;
Martín Marqués                  |        mmarques@unl.edu.ar

Re: Anti log in PostgreSQL

От
Sai Hertz And Control Systems
Дата:
Dear Martin Marques ,

>>In mathematics I would have written it something like
>>
>>A = antilog (3·3234) = 2144
>>

>As I can understand, this is a 10 base log, so that what you want is
>10^(3.3234)?
>
>For that you have the exponential operator ^.

Nope
select exp(3.3234) as a2144
Gives me
27.754555808589792
But the answer expected is
some what near to 2144
The log tables show this

Regards,
Vishal Kashyap.

Re: Anti log in PostgreSQL

От
Wei Weng
Дата:
Sai Hertz And Control Systems wrote:

> Dear Martin Marques ,
>
>>> In mathematics I would have written it something like
>>>
>>> A = antilog (3·3234) = 2144
>>>

>> As I can understand, this is a 10 base log, so that what you want is
>> 10^(3.3234)?
>>
>> For that you have the exponential operator ^.
>>

> Nope
> select exp(3.3234) as a2144
> Gives me
> 27.754555808589792
> But the answer expected is some what near to 2144
> The log tables show this
>
> Regards,
> Vishal Kashyap.

What is the mathematical operation that "antilog" is supposed to perform?

Wei

Re: Anti log in PostgreSQL

От
Martin Marques
Дата:
El Vie 26 Dic 2003 19:46, Sai Hertz And Control Systems escribió:
> Dear Martin Marques ,
>
> >>In mathematics I would have written it something like
> >>
> >>A = antilog (3·3234) = 2144
> >>

> >As I can understand, this is a 10 base log, so that what you want is
> >10^(3.3234)?
> >
> >For that you have the exponential operator ^.
> >

> Nope
> select exp(3.3234) as a2144
> Gives me
> 27.754555808589792
> But the answer expected is
> some what near to 2144
> The log tables show this

As I said, log10, not natural logaritm

prueba=> select 10^3.3234 AS res;      res
------------------2105.71698391175
(1 row)

Octave gives me this:

octave:1> 10^3.3234
ans = 2105.7

What is 2144?

--
select 'mmarques' || '@' || 'unl.edu.ar' AS email;
Martín Marqués                  |        mmarques@unl.edu.ar
Programador, Administrador, DBA |       Centro de Telemática                      Universidad Nacional
        del Litoral

Re: Anti log in PostgreSQL

От
Sai Hertz And Control Systems
Дата:
Dear Wei Weng ,

>> Nope
>> select exp(3.3234) as a2144
>> Gives me
>> 27.754555808589792
>> But the answer expected is some what near to 2144
>> The log tables show this
>>
>> Regards,
>> Vishal Kashyap.
>>

> What is the mathematical operation that "antilog" is supposed to perform?

Its going to calculate rate of intrest  for an fixed deposit , Iknow
theirs other metod also bu theoratically  using antilog you get
calculations bang corect

This is inverse of log

Now doing select 1/log(3.3234)  does not help
_________________
Vishal  Kashyap

Re: Anti log in PostgreSQL

От
Yasir Malik
Дата:
The antilog of x is 10^x, so all you need to do is used the ^ operator.
If you are doing the antilog for some other base, there is formula to do
that as well, but I'm forgetting it.
Regards,
Yasir

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003, Martin Marques wrote:

> Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 19:34:35 -0300
> From: Martin Marques <martin@bugs.unl.edu.ar>
> To: aspire420@hotpop.com,
>      Sai Hertz And Control Systems <sank89@sancharnet.in>,
>      pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
> Cc: pgsql-sql@postgresql.org
> Subject: Re: [SQL] Anti log in PostgreSQL

i> El Vie 26 Dic 2003 19:12, Sai Hertz And Control Systems escribi�:
> > Dear all ,
> >
> > In one of our project I require to calculate antilog of  (3.3234)
> > But I could not find any functions in Documentation for the same.
> >
> > In mathematics I would have written it something like
> >
> > A = antilog (3�3234) = 2144
>
> As I can understand, this is a 10 base log, so that what you want is
> 10^(3.3234)?
>
> For that you have the exponential operator ^.
>
> --
> select 'mmarques' || '@' || 'unl.edu.ar' AS email;
> Mart�n Marqu�s                  |        mmarques@unl.edu.ar
> Programador, Administrador, DBA |       Centro de Telem�tica
>                        Universidad Nacional
>                             del Litoral

Re: Anti log in PostgreSQL

Дата:
Sai Hertz And Control Systems <sank89@sancharnet.in> writes:
>> What is the mathematical operation that "antilog" is supposed to perform?

> Its going to calculate rate of intrest  for an fixed deposit ,

This is not a mathematical operation, it is a financial issue
that has to conform to rules developed long ago by bankers.
The closest thing that PG offers is 10^x, but

regression=# select 10^(3.3234);    ?column?
------------------2105.71698391175
(1 row)

which is not real close to the 2144 that you say you want.  The
difference must be due to compounding rules, and perhaps also
accumulated roundoff in the monetary amounts.  I think you will
need to write a little function (in plpgsql or your language of
choice) that performs the sequence of compounding steps, if you
want to get an answer that a banker will like.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Anti log in PostgreSQL

От
Sai Hertz And Control Systems
Дата:
Dear Martin Marques and other kind people out their ,

>>In mathematics I would have written it something like
>>
>>A = antilog (3·3234) = 2144
>>

>As I can understand, this is a 10 base log, so that what you want is
>10^(3.3234)?

Though antilog did not solve my problem the link below helped me to
prove my point to my bankers

http://www.ilovemaths.com/3depreciation.htm
http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.interest.html

Thanks  a load for the kind help forwarded by you all.

Regards,
Vishal Kashyap

>For that you have the exponential operator ^.

Re: Anti log in PostgreSQL

От
"Chris Travers"
Дата:
Definition of log (base n) is that log n(x) = y where n^y = x for all values
of x and y.  n is the base.

So a base 10 log would be reversed by doing 10^x=y.  If we know x, we use
the exponential operation; if we know y we use log(y) = x.  For ln (natural
logs, base e, e is approx. 2.818), use e^x=y.

Hope this explains things.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Re: Anti log in PostgreSQL

От
"D'Arcy J.M. Cain"
Дата:
On December 26, 2003 06:37 pm, Tom Lane wrote:
> accumulated roundoff in the monetary amounts.  I think you will
> need to write a little function (in plpgsql or your language of
> choice) that performs the sequence of compounding steps, if you
> want to get an answer that a banker will like.

And make sure that you check your local rules.  Mortgages are actually
calculated differently in Canada and the US.