Обсуждение: Stored Procedures

Stored Procedures

От
beyaRecords - The home Urban music
Дата:
Hi,
I am new to this list and the world of postgreSQL, and would like to
know how create stored procedures in postgreSQL.

regards

Uzo

Re: Stored Procedures

От
Michael Fuhr
Дата:
On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 01:57:00AM +0000, beyaRecords - The home Urban music wrote:

> I am new to this list and the world of postgreSQL, and would like to
> know how create stored procedures in postgreSQL.

If you're new to PostgreSQL then have a look at the documentation:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/

To learn about stored procedures, see the "Server Programming" part,
especially the "Extending SQL" and "PL/pgSQL - SQL Procedural Language"
chapters:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/server-programming.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/extend.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/plpgsql.html

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

Re: Stored Procedures

От
Christopher Browne
Дата:
uzo@beya-records.com (beyaRecords - The home Urban music) wrote:
> I am new to this list and the world of postgreSQL, and would like to
> know how create stored procedures in postgreSQL.

Have you considered looking at the documentation?

It is fairly well documented there.

% man "CREATE FUNCTION"

is quite likely to provide you with the documentation you require.
--
If this was helpful, <http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=cbbrowne> rate me
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/postgresql.html

Installing pgplsql on postgresql ver. 7.4 on os x 10.3

От
beyaRecords - The home Urban music
Дата:
HI,
after my initial message yesterday asking how to use stored procedures
in postgresql, it has become clear to me that I need to run a script
called createlang to install pgplsql into template 1 database.
I am running postgresql 7.4 on os x 10.3. Postgresql is situated in
directory /usr/local/pgsql. I have been unable to locate the createlang
script so my question is how do I intsall pgplsql on version 7.4 on OS
X 10.3?

regards

Uzo
On 29 Dec 2003, at 02:02, Christopher Browne wrote:

> uzo@beya-records.com (beyaRecords - The home Urban music) wrote:
>> I am new to this list and the world of postgreSQL, and would like to
>> know how create stored procedures in postgreSQL.
>
> Have you considered looking at the documentation?
>
> It is fairly well documented there.
>
> % man "CREATE FUNCTION"
>
> is quite likely to provide you with the documentation you require.
> --
> If this was helpful, <http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=cbbrowne> rate me
> http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/postgresql.html
> "We have no need   to punish Pascal programmers.  Pascal  programming,
> like chastity, is its own punishment.  The only way I could imagine to
> make their wretched  state any worse would  be to make them  use Ada."
> -- Scott Fahlman
>
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------

Re: Installing pgplsql on postgresql ver. 7.4 on os x 10.3

От
Michael Fuhr
Дата:
On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 03:13:56PM +0000, beyaRecords - The home Urban music wrote:

> after my initial message yesterday asking how to use stored procedures
> in postgresql, it has become clear to me that I need to run a script
> called createlang to install pgplsql into template 1 database.

createlang is a compiled program, not a script.

Whether you need to install plpgsql in template1 or not depends on
what you want to do: if you want all databases created in the future to
automatically have plpgsql, then it makes sense to create the language
in template1.  If you want only certain databases to have plpgsql, then
you might want to create the language in only those databases but not
in template1.  I'm assuming (possibly incorrectly) that you're using
template1 for its intended purpose (database template) and not for
any work.

> I am running postgresql 7.4 on os x 10.3. Postgresql is situated in
> directory /usr/local/pgsql. I have been unable to locate the createlang
> script so my question is how do I intsall pgplsql on version 7.4 on OS
> X 10.3?

You could mess around with CREATE LANGUAGE but createlang is easier.
Where have you looked for createlang?  It's typically installed in
the same directory as the other PostgreSQL programs (psql, createdb,
etc.).  If not, then try running something like "locate createlang"
or "find / -name createlang" to see if you can find it.  It would be
odd for a PostgreSQL installation to be missing some of its utilities,
so I'm guessing it's there somewhere.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/