Обсуждение: retrieve the tables names based on the owner

retrieve the tables names based on the owner

От
"Antonis Antoniou"
Дата:
Hi guys,

How can I retrieve (with a query) from a database, only the table names
based on the owner name?

Many Thanks
Antonis

Re: retrieve the tables names based on the owner

От
Achilleus Mantzios
Дата:
O kyrios Antonis Antoniou egrapse stis Aug 6, 2004 :

> Hi guys,

Kalhmera Antoni!

> How can I retrieve (with a query) from a database, only the table names
> based on the owner name?

SELECT schemaname||'.'||tablename from pg_tables where
tableowner='postgres';

--
-Achilleus

SQL_ASCII and UNICODE server_encoding

От
Achilleus Mantzios
Дата:
Hi,
i'd like to ask if there is any difference in server_encoding
SQL_ASCII and UNICODE (there must be
one since the different terms), but
AFAIU
-databases which store in SQL_ASCII (i.e. server_encoding=SQL_ASCII)have no problem storing 8bit chars with the first
bitset.

-databases with server_encoding=UNICODE actually store in UTF-8 encoding
-The purpose of UTF-8 is to make possible that multibyte chars can
be stored in systems that represent chars in 8 bits
-So SQL_ASCII is fine for UTF-8, hence multibyte UNICODE.

So if SQL_ASCII should be fine for UTF-8 storage.
(here i must have missed something, tho..), whats
the purpose of server_encoding=UNICODE?
--
-Achilleus

Re: SQL_ASCII and UNICODE server_encoding

Дата:
Achilleus Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com> writes:
> So if SQL_ASCII should be fine for UTF-8 storage.
> (here i must have missed something, tho..), whats
> the purpose of server_encoding=UNICODE?

If you use SQL_ASCII, the server will *store* Unicode just fine, but
it won't *know* it is Unicode.  So if you just want raw data storage
it doesn't matter.  If you would like to sort the data, upper-case
or lower-case it, or have automatic conversions to different client
encodings, you had better tell the server the truth about what it
is storing.
        regards, tom lane

Re: SQL_ASCII and UNICODE server_encoding

От
Achilleus Mantzios
Дата:
O kyrios Tom Lane egrapse stis Aug 16, 2004 :

> Achilleus Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com> writes:
> > So if SQL_ASCII should be fine for UTF-8 storage.
> > (here i must have missed something, tho..), whats
> > the purpose of server_encoding=UNICODE?
>
> If you use SQL_ASCII, the server will *store* Unicode just fine, but
> it won't *know* it is Unicode.  So if you just want raw data storage
> it doesn't matter.  If you would like to sort the data, upper-case
> or lower-case it, or have automatic conversions to different client
> encodings, you had better tell the server the truth about what it
> is storing.

Thanx, i guess i didnt realize the value of conversion,sorting,etc...

>             regards, tom lane

-Achilleus