Обсуждение: SQL Query question

SQL Query question

От
"Nick Stone"
Дата:
Hi

Whilst I'm not new to SQL I am reasonably new to Postgres and as such I have
a question on the following query:

SELECT   tbl1."TermTypeID",   tbl1."ParentID",   tbl1."KeywordID",   tbl1."Term",   tbl2."KeywordID"
FROM   "Terms" As tbl1 LEFT JOIN   "SearchStore" As tbl2 ON tbl1."KeywordID" = tbl2."KeywordID" AND
tbl2."StockID" = 1
WHERE    (tbl1."TermTypeID" >= 200) AND   (tbl1."TermTypeID" < 600) AND   (tbl1."IsSynonym" = false) AND
(tbl1."LanguageID"= 1)

ORDER BY   tbl1."TermTypeID",   tbl1."Term";

Why does the above query work fine and the folowing query not work? And as a
additional kind of spanner in the works I've tried the following on MS SQL
Server and Oracle both of which produce the correct results (i.e. the same
as the above query). NB: the Terms table always has data whereas the
SearchStore may or may not have any data.

SELECT   tbl1."TermTypeID",   tbl1."ParentID",   tbl1."KeywordID",   tbl1."Term",   tbl2."KeywordID"
FROM   "Terms" As tbl1 LEFT JOIN   "SearchStore" As tbl2 ON tbl1."KeywordID" = tbl2."KeywordID"
WHERE    (tbl1."TermTypeID" >= 200) AND   (tbl1."TermTypeID" < 600) AND   (tbl1."IsSynonym" = false) AND
(tbl1."LanguageID"= 1) AND   (tbl2."StockID" = 1)

ORDER BY   tbl1."TermTypeID",   tbl1."Term";

Just to be obvious both queries as far as I can should return everything
from Terms and anything if it exists from SearchStore subject to the WHERE
clause parameters - obviously!

Many thanks in advance

Nick

Re: SQL Query question

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Am Donnerstag, 30. Juni 2005 11:27 schrieb Nick Stone:
> SELECT
>     tbl1."TermTypeID",
>     tbl1."ParentID",
>     tbl1."KeywordID",
>     tbl1."Term",
>     tbl2."KeywordID"
> FROM
>     "Terms" As tbl1 LEFT JOIN
>     "SearchStore" As tbl2 ON tbl1."KeywordID" = tbl2."KeywordID"
> WHERE
>     (tbl1."TermTypeID" >= 200) AND
>     (tbl1."TermTypeID" < 600) AND
>     (tbl1."IsSynonym" = false) AND
>     (tbl1."LanguageID" = 1) AND
>     (tbl2."StockID" = 1)
> ORDER BY
>     tbl1."TermTypeID",
>     tbl1."Term";
>
> Just to be obvious both queries as far as I can should return everything
> from Terms and anything if it exists from SearchStore subject to the WHERE
> clause parameters - obviously!

The condition (tbl2."StockID" = 1) will remove all rows that have null values
in the tbl2 fields, thus making your left join useless.  Perhaps you should
change that to (tbl2."StockID" = 1 OR tbl2."StockID" IS NULL) -- or use your
first version.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: SQL Query question

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
Nick Stone wrote:
> Hi
>
> Whilst I'm not new to SQL I am reasonably new to Postgres and as such I have
> a question on the following query:

> FROM
>     "Terms" As tbl1 LEFT JOIN
>     "SearchStore" As tbl2 ON tbl1."KeywordID" = tbl2."KeywordID" AND
> tbl2."StockID" = 1
> Why does the above query work fine and the folowing query not work? And as a
> additional kind of spanner in the works I've tried the following on MS SQL
> Server and Oracle both of which produce the correct results

> FROM
>     "Terms" As tbl1 LEFT JOIN
>     "SearchStore" As tbl2 ON tbl1."KeywordID" = tbl2."KeywordID"
> WHERE
>     (tbl2."StockID" = 1)

Hmm - I'm not sure that MSSQL/Oracle are giving the "right" answer here.
I assume the tbl2.stockid test is the issue here, and we apply the test
after the join whereas the others push the condition inside the join.

I'm inclined to prefer PG's way of doing things, since it means you get
what you explicitly asked for (to my point of view anyway). Not sure
what the SQL spec says though, and in the end I suppose that's the only
way to decide "right".

--  Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd

Re: SQL Query question

От
"Nick Stone"
Дата:
Thanks for the reply at least that explains it.

Nick