Обсуждение: how to replace

how to replace

От
"Michael Höller"
Дата:
Hello,

I initially thought this is simple.. I want to relpace a character to
nothing. Eg. relace "B" to "" ->  ABCD to ACD.

All me approches vaild but I am sure that I have seen it already and
think it was not tricky..

Can someone please help me ?

Thanks a lot
Michael

Re: how to replace

От
"Owen Jacobson"
Дата:
Michael Höller wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I initially thought this is simple.. I want to relpace a character to
> nothing. Eg. relace "B" to "" ->  ABCD to ACD.
>
> All me approches vaild but I am sure that I have seen it already and
> think it was not tricky..
>
> Can someone please help me ?

From the manual:

replace(string text, from text, to text) returns text Replace all occurrences in string of substring from with
substringto.

<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/functions-string.html>

To replace only on output, for example:

SELECT replace (sometextcolumn, from 'B', to '') FROM sometable;

To replace the data,

UPDATE sometable SET sometextcolumn = replace (sometextcolumn, from 'B', to '');

HTH,
Owen

Re: how to replace

От
"Anthony Molinaro"
Дата:
Michael, You practically solved it yourself in the subject of the email ;)
select replace('abcd','b','') from your_table;

Hope that helps, Anthony

I initially thought this is simple.. I want to relpace a character to
nothing. Eg. relace "B" to "" ->  ABCD to ACD.

All me approches vaild but I am sure that I have seen it already and
think it was not tricky..

Can someone please help me ?

Thanks a lot
Michael

TIP 1: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate      subscribe-nomail command to
majordomo@postgresql.orgso that your      message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

Re: how to replace

От
"A. Kretschmer"
Дата:
am  08.09.2005, um 23:25:05 +0200 mailte "Michael Höller" folgendes:
> Hello,
>
> I initially thought this is simple.. I want to relpace a character to
> nothing. Eg. relace "B" to "" ->  ABCD to ACD.

In the new version 8.1 there are a regex_replace() - function. A other
solution: write your own function with plperl.

Regards, Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer    (Kontakt: siehe Header)
Heynitz:  035242/47212,      D1: 0160/7141639